Lakers preparing offer for Hurley | Page 77 | The Boneyard

Lakers preparing offer for Hurley

Reaction Score
it's been reported the lakers knew ham was being fired after the season and it's been reported hurley was one of their top targets all along. if that's to be believed i would be surprised if lakers didnt reach out until may and certainly not until june. i'm worried hurley expressed a renewed interest when his new contract didnt arrive as expected. i'm spinning out what can i say.
Which is understandable, I just think you panic far too early and often. He might leave, I'm resigned to the fact he probably will, but there's a just as plausible explanation that he reached out with renewed interest in the Lakers job to push that new contract with UConn over the finish line

Reaction Score
i'm worried hurley expressed a renewed interest when his new contract didnt arrive as expected.
It seems much more (or, at worst, equally) likely that Hurley has been working with Benedict for months, there were hurdles outside either of their control, and Hurley is using this as leverage to help both himself and Benedict get there with the powers that be.

Reaction Score
How it their roster garbage? You act like they won 8 games.

And again - they can clear a ton of cap space after next year. So next season they run it back with a team that won 47 games in the West last year - I am assuming you think Coach Hurley can coach? Maybe better than Darvin Hamm?

Following year they clear enough room to sign a max player and another sizable contract. And again, LA is a destination for free agents.

I know people don’t want him to leave and I actually think he is going to stay - but to say the Lakers are a disaster situation is simply not true.

There are new penalties for going over the salary cap, stricter aprons and the Lakers will owe all of it to

Lebron
AD
Deangelo Russell
Rui
Reaves
Gabe Vincent
Vanderbilt
Jalen Hood
Christian Wood
Jaxson Hayes

($178,000,000 ^^^)

Salary cap in 2024-25 is $141,000,000 with the luxury tax threshold $172,000,000.

They need to shed salaries, not add new ones.

Reaction Score
what have Lebron and AD accomplished together?

A championshup
A IST championship
2 WCF appearances.

No other team in the NBA has had more success than the Lakers this decade. The Nuggets, Warriors and Bucks are all sitting on one championship this decade.
And yet they’ve gone through 8 coaches since Jackson.

Something for Hurley to keep in mind.

Reaction Score
It seems much more (or, at worst, equally) likely that Hurley has been working with Benedict for months, there were hurdles outside either of their control, and Hurley is using this as leverage to help both himself and Benedict get there with the powers that be.
i'm not drunk enough yet to believe hurley is using the lakers as a negotiating ploy and to get an all expenses paid trip for him and andrea to LA on a private jet.

awy

Reaction Score
exactly this. as a public university the budget process is subject to a lot more scrutiny and hurdles.

Reaction Score
How it their roster garbage? You act like they won 8 games.

And again - they can clear a ton of cap space after next year. So next season they run it back with a team that won 47 games in the West last year - I am assuming you think Coach Hurley can coach? Maybe better than Darvin Hamm?

Following year they clear enough room to sign a max player and another sizable contract. And again, LA is a destination for free agents.

I know people don’t want him to leave and I actually think he is going to stay - but to say the Lakers are a disaster situation is simply not true.
The problem is that you are overrating free agent pick ups. IMO you are a UCONN fan overrating Hurley's impact in a league run by superstars. and other highly paid terific coaches.

Reaction Score
didn't hurley coach him back in the day? Get on the phone JR tell him your thoughts about the lakers FO!
yea at St Benedicts, he was courtside at the St Johns BET game and then later on posted a pic of them hugging on his IG stories and said Hurley changed his life. If JR can do some work here he should be retroactively added to the NBA Top 75 list

Reaction Score
Mmm, i'm not sure about that given that Kimani is associate head coach.
Kimani graduated college 98, so he is at most 50. A little young to be "resigned" to be a 2, but who knows. Wondering what his relationship with Luke is like.

I wonder if Luke is truly a 1 either. Seems a tad mellow, maybe the analytic side makes him seem that way.

Reaction Score
it's been reported the lakers knew ham was being fired after the season and it's been reported hurley was one of their top targets all along. if that's to be believed i would be surprised if lakers didnt reach out until may and certainly not until june. i'm worried hurley expressed a renewed interest when his new contract didnt arrive as expected. i'm spinning out what can i say.
Feels like his contract or lack of a signed extension is lurking right below the surface of this whole mess, doesn't it?

Reaction Score
The problem is that you are overrating free agent pick ups. IMO you are a UCONN fan overrating Hurley's impact in a league run by superstars. and other highly paid terific coaches.
I don’t think I am overrating free agent pickups at all. They can change a franchise. Jalen Brunson has worked out okay for the Knicks.

Do you think Dan Hurley will be a better NBA coach than Darvin Ham? If you don’t that’s ok but I think most do.

Reaction Score
I am back and would like to make a point that was mentioned more often early on. are we really to believe that Hurley went through all of this recruiting this season, getting top portal pick-ups and helping with Karaban's decision to come back- all to just say f it and leave. Come on guys, he's coming back

Reaction Score
Feels like his contract or lack of a signed extension is lurking right below the surface of this whole mess, doesn't it?
Yes. We all got a little nervous when we heard about Kentucky and everyone else that could be interested in Hurley, but he really didn’t pay it any mind. In a couple interviews Hurley insinuated his agent was working with uconn on a new deal. It seemed like it was done. But maybe they found out recently it wasn’t approved and Hurley’s agent started entertaining opportunities??

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom