Lakers preparing offer for Hurley | Page 74 | The Boneyard

Lakers preparing offer for Hurley

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
This could be the understatement of the millennium. I'm envisioning a Kenny Payne / Louisville type season. I may be more negative than most on this.

If I put myself in the place of the players, what’s so different about this exact roster minus Hurley but the same system/assistants?

I’m not saying guys wouldn’t leave, nor that Hurley isn’t important, it just seems counterintuitive to all go mass exodus at this point.

If I’m AK I set up a players-only meeting and tell everyone they still have the exact same situation and opportunity, no matter where Coach Hurley ends up.

FWIW Fanta and Finklestein think it’s tough and unlikely to be a mass exodus if he left and we promoted within.

Reaction Score
So assuming that Andrea has some say in the decision, what are the chances that she gets off the private jet, sees the palm trees, sunny weather, and traffic, and decides that living on the West Coast is better than living in the Tri-State area?

Reaction Score
So assuming that Andrea has some say in the decision, what are the chances that she gets off the private jet, sees the palm trees, sunny weather, and traffic, and decides that living on the West Coast is better than living in the Tri-State area?
Thankfully it’s currently summer here too ;)

Reaction Score
The report has already come out. Woj said contact started 2 weeks ago
Link? Didnt see that part, just that they were targeting him for awhile and discussions have really dialed up here now. Contact doesn’t mean much really, actual serious discussions is much different thing. It takes two to tango, there have been other candidates out there too. It’s clear things have heated up the past few days and an actual interview is happening. Things change, you’re not telling your staff and players that the lakers reached out unless it becomes what it has now. Actual interest from both sides. Whatever, we’ll get our resolution in the coming days and can all move forward however we need to.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
absolutely right. there is no actual urgency here. lakers job is pretty trash besides the money
Again, you would think people ( UConn fans) have the measure of our coach here, that is a positive for him! He can be the guy who succeeded where others couldn’t.

That doesn’t mean he goes, but he LOVES that kind of stuff. His engine runs on “ you can’t”

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
That slot is for Bronny.

Avoid Spider Man GIF
This is the one part of the equation that confuses me.

If (as many have been saying) LBJ wants Hurley to develop Bronny, why would DH want anything to do with this.

For openers, this illustrates that the personnel decisions are not DH's to make.

It also clearly indicates that the priority is keeping LeBron in a Laker uniform and happy, not building a culture that could last for years.

Finally it tells everyone that the goal is to see how far they can make a run while Lebron and AD still have whatever each still has left in the tank, not to build something that in a little time will be capable of making repeated deep playoff runs.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
You're crazy if you think people on this board wouldn't string him up for jumping ship in the week or two after a championship parade. And by then the coaching musical chairs had already stopped. We wouldn't have landed Aiden, Liam, or Tarris.
Yeah, but if he leaves now those guys would have 30 days to leave and there are basically no good players left in the portal to backfill with if they do go. Sure people would have been mad if it happened right after the title, but it would have given the school the time to do a proper search and the new coach to retain / build the roster with a loaded transfer portal.

Reaction Score
Link? Didnt see that part, just that they were targeting him for awhile and discussions have really dialed up here now. Contact doesn’t mean much really, actual serious discussions is much different thing. It takes two to tango, there have been other candidates out there too. It’s clear things have heated up the past few days and an actual interview is happening. Things change, you’re not telling your staff and players that the lakers reached out unless it becomes what it has now. Actual interest from both sides. Whatever, we’ll get our resolution in the coming days and can all move forward however we need to.
Almost positive he said it in an interview. It wasn’t a written report

Reaction Score
This is the one part of the equation that confuses me.

If (as many have been saying) LBJ wants Hurley to develop Bronny, why would DH want anything to do with this.

For openers, this illustrates that the personnel decisions are not DH's to make.

It also clearly indicates that the priority is keeping LeBron in a Laker uniform and happy, not building a culture that could last for years.

Finally it tells everyone that the goal is to see how far they can make a run while Lebron and AD still have whatever each still has left in the tank, not to build something that in a little time will be capable of making repeated deep playoff runs.

Send Bronny to UConn to get developed. Hurley isn't coaching their G-league affiliate either.

awy

Reaction Score
Again, you would think people ( UConn fans) have the measure of our coach here, that is a positive for him! He can be the guy who succeeded where others couldn’t.

That doesn’t mean he goes, but he LOVES that kind of stuff. His engine runs on “ you can’t”
it's not as simple as the shittier the situation the more he loves it. the upside of fixing the lakers is probably higher because of how much of a mess it is over there. but just by waiting he can cast a wider net and give himself more choices amongst nba teams. currently he being forced to choose at an awkward timing.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
According to @John_Fanta, UConn assistant Luke Murray (Bill Murray's son) plans on following Dan Hurley to the Lakers if he doesn't get the UConn HC job

According to the movie Zombieland, his dad is currently living in LA, so that would make sense.

bill murray smoke GIF

Reaction Score
$25 mil a year for a coach in the NBA will be a thing sooner than later. Meanwhile UConn's total athletic revenue is like $60 million and may soon have to pay players a big chunk of it.

You can bet that Hurley's agent is driving this point home to him.
this is what i was saying before but somehow people down played how catastrophically screwed we are. that deck is stacked against uconn and hurley was the only guy that could continue to overcome it

Reaction Score
it's not as simple as the shittier the situation the more he loves it. the upside of fixing the lakers is probably higher because of how much of a mess it is over there. but just by waiting he can cast a wider net and give himself more choices amongst nba teams. currently he being forced to choose at an awkward timing.
Maybe he goes sabbatical?

Pretty sure Columbus snuffed Luke's dad in zombie land?

Reaction Score
this is what i was saying before but somehow people down played how catastrophically screwed we are. that deck is stacked against uconn and hurley was the only guy that could continue to overcome it
This is an ncaa-wide issue. No one, even Kentucky, can compete with that.

Reaction Score
My sister told me it is quite cloudy today and was chilly in the morning.

Reaction Score
In his early 50s, I think this is the time he would strike for an nba career similar to his mentor Donovan. But again, like everyone in here as already stated... the lakers job is not a good job right now. They are not going to be title contenders even though they are built to win now. Even if he gets 'carte blanche' and can run the org similar to Spo, this will be a major rebuild going forward with LBJ possibly departing... how many coaches go through rebuilds completely unscathed? Especially when the team doesn't have great draft capital or young assets (real stars) to develop?

He can wait for the nba sure but for how long? It really does feel like a 50/50 decision and I'm sick to my stomach

Reaction Score
Lakers shed about 75% of their salaries after next season including Lebron, Anthony Davis and DeAngelo Russell. If Hurley wants to bring in his guys he can, even if they sign Lebron to a short term deal. They are going to have a ton of space and the Lakers are a destination for free agents.

Definitely not as bad of a situation as many making it out to be. And Lebron remained elite last season.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
He doesnt want 28 choices. He wants 3 maybe 4. Right now at least. In the same way he said Kimani should be selective about not taking low D1 jobs, Im sure Coach feels the same way about taking NBA jobs.

Reaction Score
Heres the thing with that.

That is EXACTLY the type of challenge Hurley relishes so he can prove everyone wrong and flip them the bird.
No question. I alluded to it in my post (..."allure"...). Vanity, is common. "Yeah, I know they failed, but not me." I'm sure Donovan, et al had the exact same thoughts, replete with bird flipping.

To the NBA, where money is everything, Hurley is nothing more than this year's shiny new toy, of whom 3 years ago, the only Hurley they knew was the one who had a non-descript few years playing for the Kings.

Again, history informs it takes a bit of time for teams to adjust to coach. First year at Wagner, 13-17. First two years at Rhode Island, 22-39. First year at UConn, 16-17, 2 years 35-29.

That's college, where the spotlight is jusst a wee bit dimmer than say, the Los Angeles franchise in the NBA.

Say, the Lakers make him the highest paid coach / manager in the history of the world. He does a complete personality flip aligned to the NBA star system, 82 games, etc... But his first year + goes similar to previous. The press, the fans reactions vs. coach's self professed procilivites - not a great mix. The NBA has a massively short attention span, patience for such things.

For me, Coach K had it spot on, retired a legend, where he remains in the public conscious. For those that follow world soccer, Xabi Alonso to replace a legend in Jurgen Klopp at Liverpool FC seemed obvious. He's the most highly regarded young manager in the world, fresh off a first-ever title, and unbeaten season in the Bundesliga with a perennial also-ran team, while ending Bayern Munich's string of 11 CONSECUTIVE titles. In his Liverpool FC playing days, a beloved, legendary player. Publick known to be first and only choice. Turned them down to stay at Leverkeusen, citing timing, young age, with more to accomplish, declaring it a career dream to manage Liverpool FC. But the timing is not there yet.

For me, better for coach to finish the string here, then go wherever he wants, for whatever he wants.

Reaction Score
Lakers shed about 75% of their salaries after next season including Lebron, Anthony Davis and DeAngelo Russell. If Hurley wants to bring in his guys he can, even if they sign Lebron to a short term deal. They are going to have a ton of space and the Lakers are a destination for free agents.

Definitely not as bad of a situation as many making it out to be. And Lebron remained elite last season.

If Lebron is on the roster you're in win now mode with a roster that can't win now. The roster is garbage. They don't even have a first round pick in 2025 when they seemingly might be in the lottery and in contention for Flagg. Lakers don't even own their 2027 first (goes to Utah if it falls outside the top 4).

Edit: So Dan inherits the #17 pick in a weak draft with both his studs already off the board, no pick in 2025 when the draft is flooded with talent (Flagg, Ace, VJ, Harper, Tre Johnson, etc). He gets his in 2026 if he still has a job and won't get a pick in 2027. Sounds like a real great situation.

Last edited:

awy

Reaction Score

they are either wasting a couple years with lebron AD and chris paul or trading more future picks for some star. option 2 is far more likely and will set them back for years.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom