Lakers preparing offer for Hurley | Page 63 | The Boneyard

Lakers preparing offer for Hurley

Reaction Score
You don’t think the players would stay for Luke or Kimani? If he takes them both with him and we have to hire externally then I think we’re definitely screwed.
If the Lakers hire Hurley, they are not going to hire two assistant coaches with no NBA experience or relationships. Of the 3 UConn assistant coaches, I would think he takes at max one of them.

awy

Reaction Score
if giving luke the HC job is the way to keep luke then you gotta do it. it's the best long term decision and has extreme upside.

the recruits will stay for the most sought after assistant coach and offense mind in all of basketball.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
lol. Tell that to Dan. If Kimani and Luke go, it will be such a “ ” to the kid who came back from the draft, the high level recruits that stayed and even higher recruits that committed.

A few might, but the majority would be in the portal by day 2
Sorry. This is complete speculation. You don’t know what the players relationship is with those guys, and you don’t know how much they value UConn as a program.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I hope his number is astronomical, but he has a number/demands.

The Lakers will look at that check and make a decision on Hurley's UConn future at that moment.
I hope his stance is "I'm here to listen"; hate to see him write a deal they could say yes to.

awy

Reaction Score
Training camp starts in September and summer league in July so that’s 11 month a year job. Hurley has a lot of pros and cons to think about.

The entire NBA season is longer then baseball season.
most of that time is very chill for the head coach. hurley will tryhard during that time though but still not as time consuming as college.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Well if you hire a current coach away from someone, he would be able to bring his players to replace anyone who might leave

Not sure how many have followed a coach to his own more lucrative destination, but my guess it's a minority who follow the coach.

Reaction Score
You don’t think the players would stay for Luke or Kimani? If he takes them both with him and we have to hire externally then I think we’re definitely screwed.
I think some schools will offer at a minimum 2x nil money and a few kids will take the lead of their head coach and follow the money.

Reaction Score
I think Hurley stays. That's what my gut says.

If he were to leave, it would leave a sour taste in my mouth - rightly or wrongly. I have unbelievable appreciation for what he's done for the program over the last years. We were in a dark place prior to his arrival. The last 2 years have been the program's best. My concern is that, if he were to leave at this time and under these circumstances, there's a very real risk that we quickly go back to where we were before he arrived. There could be a mass exodus and we'd be left with no way to fill those spots.

I always understood he might chase the NBA one day. I thought it'd be in another 5 years or so - and that after another 5 years of being a highly-ranked, championship caliber program, we'd be able to transition smoothly and keep the ball rolling.

Reaction Score
Sorry. This is complete speculation. You don’t know what the players relationship is with those guys, and you don’t know how much they value UConn as a program.
Sorry, you must not be following how this game works.

Reaction Score
It’s not offensive, it’s just bizarre. Why is a UConn coach talking publicly about another UConn coach being crazy not to accept another offer to leave UConn.
Because they’re friends and have mutual respect for each other personally and professionally so truth matters, and I don’t think that there’s 1 chance in a trillion that GA comment would alter DH decision, he was just being honest which is what their relationship is based on. Calhoun said the exact same thing even more emphatically. JMHO

Reaction Score
If the Lakers hire Hurley, they are not going to hire two assistant coaches with no NBA experience or relationships. Of the 3 UConn assistant coaches, I would think he takes at max one of them.

Part of the negotiation is always if an NBA coach has full control over their staff. There would be other higher-ranking assistants but if Hurley tells the Lakers he wants both Luke and Kimani he will get them.

Reaction Score
if giving luke the HC job is the way to keep luke then you gotta do it. it's the best long term decision and has extreme upside.

the recruits will stay for the most sought after assistant coach and offense mind in all of basketball.
Agree. It has to be Luke 100%.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
SIAP but I just watched this from Woj last night… pretty good assessment of where things stand, how he’d adjust, and what is driving him towards LAL

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
no no.. they can keep their eyes away from that part of the bench. We need that part right now very badly less we see half our team in the portal
That's what scares me most. It's no secret that Luke is the offensive mastermind, and a Brinks truck offer to land him as well would be about the worst-case scenario. Don't know if they'd take Kimani too, but IMHO Kimani w/o Luke takes our coaching down to level of say Holloway or English, not horrible, but not championship-level.

Reaction Score
Can’t see a scenario where Hurley is bringing two college assistants with him to this job. He needs some bench coaches with real NBA experience. My guess is he takes one guy and then fills out his staff with people from across the league like Adrian Griffin, Van Gundy etc. Almost a guarantee there will be a coach on that staff with previous head coaching NBA experience. Just don’t see him bringing Kimani & Luke with him.

Reaction Score
He gets to pick his players at UConn
He does not in LA - especially in the short-term. The GM and ownership are responsible for the roster with coach input.
He may take the job, but this is the reason it will be a bad fit.
Ego around “I can be the guy who can make the unworkable work” for a “storied” franchise could be his undoing. If that’s the case, he’ll come back to college just like Cal and Pitino.
UConn will still have basketball and still win. To this degree, who knows. A lot a play in the next 10 years.

awy

Reaction Score
He does not in LA - especially in the short-term. The GM and ownership are responsible for the roster with coach input.
Ego around “I can be the guy who can make the unworkable work” for a “storied” franchise could be his undoing. If that’s the case, he’ll come back to college just like Cal and Pitino.
UConn will still have basketball and still win. To this degree, who knows. A lot a play in the next 10 years.
dan hurley has extreme confidence in himself. a lot of the helium with him and this lakers move is just him envisioning the upside and aiming for it. it's irrational exuberance, but it's also what's gotten him this far.

Reaction Score
Except all the reporting around discussions has specifically mentioned part of negotiations will be roster control for Hurley. If he goes it sounds like he will have at least some control over picking the players

Reaction Score
Except all the reporting around discussions has specifically mentioned part of negotiations will be roster control for Hurley. If he goes it sounds like he will have at least some control over picking the players
And if they promise him that it’s a bold face lie bc Pelinka would have to be fired first. The fact he’s still there after all their down years and bad hires tells you everything about the franchise operates

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom