Lakers preparing offer for Hurley | Page 20 | The Boneyard

Lakers preparing offer for Hurley

Reaction Score
It’s career suicide stepping into that job with Lebron at this stage of his career

Ask frank Vogel and Darvin ham.

It makes sense if they are moving on from Lebron. If makes NO SENSE if he signs an extension.
It’s clear you have no idea what you are talking about.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Ed Cooley? Don’t think so.
Although, on some levels, Kim English is pretty appealing, just because we can.

Reaction Score
I don't get the hate. The Lakers are doing what is best for them in an honest and forthright way, and Hurley may be on the threshold of making generational wealth. Be happy for Hurley. This is a guy who told a story of being at a gas station in Jersey or Pennsylvania during a recruiting trip and not having enough money to fill the tank, WHEN HE WAS IN HIS 30'S.

UConn will be fine. Next man up.
I think it’s a bad move going to that team, presently constructed.

But it’s just my opinion. I wish him well and HOPE he is as successful in the NBA as he was for UConn.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I think that is one of the things being explored when Woj talks about "Los Angeles needs to paint a picture to Hurley on what his regime would look like"
I interpreted this as them needing to convince him that he will have all of the autonomy he requires to build the team, all required resources to build the roster and full authority over decision making.

They will try to sell him that he will have all of these things but they will reneg the minute push comes to shove and what he wants differs from what a star player wants.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'll put a bit of hope on Andrea. Not that she wouldn't like LA but what role would she have with the Lakers? She's a legit part of the team at UConn, that woudn't be the case in the pros.

Reaction Score
Top 5 in Assists all time.. Just had his career high for 3PFG%, and moving without the ball is a system choice, not a player choice. he did pretty well off the ball in Miami though.
This Jorge guy is a clown. Lebron WANTS to play off ball more at this stage of his career. Why do you think the lakers have targeted so much ball handling the last few years with Westbrick, Dlo, and Reaves.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

But it’s just my opinion. I wish him well and HOPE he is as successful in the NBA as he was for UConn.

If he goes to the Lakers, I hope he is extremely unsuccessful. And I say that not out of any animus but as a Celtics fan. Lakers can eat it.

Separately, if Hurley were to turn down some massive deal from the Lakers -- after telling UK to pound sand -- that would be the biggest BDE imaginable. Legend.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

I would handicap Hurley at less than 50/50 to be successful on the Lakers, but YOLO so give it a shot.

awy

Reaction Score
there's a large amount of buy-in from the lakers ownership. it's not just for the next 2 lebron years, but the long term rebuild. i don't think other nba franchises can top that. the knicks are too parochial and dolan controlled to hand over control, this is pretty much the perfect job for him.

Reaction Score

At the time Hurly committed here It was probably not considered the best move. Our team was floundering and we were stuck in the AAC.

Reaction Score
I mean realistically how does DH turn down the Lakers at this point? He's still young enough to have an impactful / memorable NBA coaching career...if it's his dream then if not now then when? He's 51 so he probably goes...hate to say it.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I interpreted this as them needing to convince him that he will have all of the autonomy he requires to build the team, all required resources to build the roster and full authority over decision making.

They will try to sell him that he will have all of these things but they will reneg the minute push comes to shove and what he wants differs from what a star player wants.

He wants to hear them out. I don't blame him one bit. Clearly he has serious interest in coaching in the NBA and if nothing else, this would give him great insight into what that job might look like. At this point I'm sure he's just waiting to see what they offer. He then needs to consider whether, in fact, things will be as peachy as they're promising they will be.

I'm a MCBB and an NBA fan and I just don't see Danny miraculously turning the Lakers around any time soon. You can't go sign free agents based on your intense vibe. He's shown he's adaptable but being adaptable in your small pond doesn't guarantee anything in the bigger one. But a part of him wants that challenge, I guess.

Reaction Score
Uconn will offer 100 million over 10 years.

Lakers will offer 7 years 18-20 million. This isn't generational wealth difference and will not be the main factor.

Reaction Score
Pitino left UK for the NBA and regretted it. He'd leaving the College Basketball Capital of the World, where he's currently making history to chase an NBA dream. I get the appeal -- but down the road, I think he'd ultimately regret the decision.

Would there be other high-level college opportunities down the road if the NBA didn't work out? Of course. But could he replicate what he has here at another school? Would there be another school that is such a perfect fit? I don't think so.

Reaction Score
With everything that Hurley said when he turned down the Kentucky job, I can’t help but think that Hurley and his agent are just taking advantage of the buzz this brings. He denied Kentucky because of moving, already having the best job he can have in college, while citing that more money than he has won’t really change his life. Said he wasn’t done at UConn and the NBA was something he thinks he will aspire to in the future.

No one can deny what money will make people do, and that a job with a storied program like the Lakers is something to take seriously. His new and revised contract with UConn hasn’t been finalized and this might be the tipping point for UConn to go all in on him and try and make him the highest paid college coach. I don’t see him assembling the team we have going into next year, to just pull the rug out from underneath the program after affirming that UConn is where he will remain. Do i see Hurley being long term like Calhoun? No. But I also don’t see him leaving right now when there is a 3 peat opportunity ahead and he will undoubtedly be desired by NBA teams regardless, when that time comes.

Reaction Score
Bronny James right now is Jalen Gaffney on his best day. I'm sure he will improve tho, but that is what he is right now.

Reaction Score
Totally agree. Even as a Lakers fan this job is a future nightmare. Plus, gm and owner are so unbelievably stupid it’s stunning Hurley is doing this for anything other than contract negotiation leverage.
Meh, the leverage angle is not untrue but at the end of the day UConn only has so much money. We can’t match SEC or B1G teams let alone the freakin NBA. There’s a max we can pay him & commit to NIL and I’m sure we’ll offer every penny of it.

Danny can make a lot of money long term at UConn, but it can’t be primarily about money if he’s gonna be here.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranon

Top Bottom