Lakers preparing offer for Hurley | Page 99 | The Boneyard

Lakers preparing offer for Hurley

Reaction Score
I’m feeling good about things today.

It’s good he left without agreeing to anything.

And it’s good (as Chief pointed out in his otherwise strange post) that Andrea wasn’t looking at neighborhoods.

And it’s good he’s making the decision in Connecticut.

Vibes on Storrs Central are good too FWIW

#doomed
I agree with all that- but with that said- think Hurley cares heavily about his players & staff & he might just want to have a face to face with all of them instead of them hearing from the internet or a reporter.

Reaction Score

And it’s good (as Chief pointed out in his otherwise strange post) that Andrea wasn’t looking at neighborhoods.

#doomed
What do we got over there on SC?

Reaction Score
It’s worked with the biggest superstars in every decade since the ‘60s.

• Wilt
  • Kareem
  • Shaq
  • Kobe
  • LeBron

Those are 5 of the ~12 greatest ever. Lower level guys like AD, Westbrook, Gasol, Mychael Thompson and probably a half dozen more I’m forgetting all pushed their way to LA, too. So did Chris Paul before Stern killed it.

The city’s a draw — even the Clippers can take advantage of it now, and the Lakers have infinitely more history and success (and fans) than the Clips.

They might be crappy for 2-3 years once LeBron is done. But it won’t be longer than that.
Jamaal Wilkes & Bob McAdoo -- both Hall of Famers -- were the ones I blanked on. And then beyond that there are guys like Lamar Odom, Ron Artest, Horry & Fisher, etc etc etc.

Point is in every era the Lakers have been able to reel in a disproportionate amount of high-level talent.

Reaction Score

#doomed
Great points. It’s tough to make a cross country move in a 12 hour visit. If they had stayed the weekend would be a very different vibe

Reaction Score

#doomed
Please see post #2,470 and additionally there’s a difference between an aspirational goal and a spoiled brat expectation.

Reaction Score
Again, it was great having that as a goal. Last season we had 2 top 10 NBA picks, 2 other returning NC starters and an experienced transfer. We can have it as a goal again but have you been asleep the last few days. It is a jump ball if our head coach is returning. So that is an example of how everything needs to fall in place and how difficult it is.
You keep quoting Hurley but isn’t he the guy that might first upset the 3 peat apple cart?
First you say that a 3peat is nonsense even tho Hurley was first to bring it up. Then you admit winning the NC is the goal every year but at the same time you argue it’s unfair for the fans to put that kind of pressure on Hurley and the team. No one expected a chip in ‘23 and no one expects one in ‘25. Then you tie a ribbon of BS on your nonsense with a complete nonsequiter by stating “you keep quoting Hurley but isn’t he the guy that might first upset the 3peat apple cart.” You can’t keep forgetting to take your meds in the morning chief.

Reaction Score
Isn’t Arkansas being bankrolled by Tyson chicken even with all that SEC money? Is there no one in CT that can step up?
I’ve asked this before. Who are the Uber wealthy/billionaires from UConn? I know Burton and Worth donated serious coin, but I don’t think they are in the Tysons/Walmart level.

My guess is the wealthiest folks are Yale alums not UConn

Reaction Score
How often have we recently watched Danny hold up three fingers lately. It's not just fan expectations, Chief.
Nothing at all wrong with having a high goal. Three peat is a reasonable probability this year as it would not have been 2 years ago. It is great for the program to try instead of thinking that it’s too hard to try.

Reaction Score
First you say that a 3peat is nonsense even tho Hurley was first to bring it up. Then you admit winning the NC is the goal every year but at the same time you argue it’s unfair for the fans to put that kind of pressure on Hurley and the team. No one expected a chip in ‘23 and no one expects one in ‘24. Then you tie a ribbon of BS on your nonsense with a complete nonsequiter by stating “you keep quoting Hurley but isn’t he the guy that might first upset the 3peat apple cart.” You can’t keep forgetting to take your meds in the morning chief.
I have been 100% consistent, unfortunately you are not. There’s a difference between aspirational goals and expectations. And you also ignored the team composition contrast between this year and last year.

Reaction Score
I’ve asked this before. Who are the Uber wealthy/billionaires from UConn? I know Burton and Worth donated serious coin, but I don’t think they are in the Tysons/Walmart level.

My guess is the wealthiest folks are Yale alums not UConn
The WERTH family donated towards the Champions Center, it is worth alot

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Wrong. It’s really $6m a year after tax. Let’s say he doesn’t spend and of it and has $60 m in 10 years. At +/- 7%. After tax that’s +/- $2.2m a year. Him and his wife, their kids and grands kids all have to live on that.

Listen it real money, but but comments about generational wealth and grand kids won’t have to ever work are delusional

He also has some money in the bank and will be making lots of money on the side.

And you’re assuming he’s never going to make another dollar after the contract is over, which is ridiculous.

I never said everybody is going to be a layabout totally dependent on his largesse. I said he could set up trust funds. Not even a debate. Of course he can.

His grandkids are gonna be just fine. I assure you.

Reaction Score
I agree with all that- but with that said- think Hurley cares heavily about his players & staff & he might just want to have a face to face with all of them instead of them hearing from the internet or a reporter.
I believe that he is not the same as that guy named after the failed FORD automobile.

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
How can the state not offer 10mm???

I know I am in RI, but is there anyone here in CT who would object to having their taxes go up $10 next year to keep Danny????? How do we not offer to make him the highest paid coach in the sport?????

This is insane. Or I am insane. Someone help me here.

dingaling

“There’s no better feeling than winning.” K.Powers
Reaction Score
I can't see Hurley leaving all these guys hanging. He's got all the money one would need and is all aet in that department. I think he has strong prinicples which would make it nearly impossible for him to bail on these guys. Thats my feeling today. Hope Im right.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Please see post #2,470 and additionally there’s a difference between an aspirational goal and a spoiled brat expectation.

I’ve been clear on the record about our chances of a 3peat.

Your attempt to draw a correlation between casual fans and people thinking we’ve got a great chance of 3peating reflects an ignorance of what people have said here.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I’ve asked this before. Who are the Uber wealthy/billionaires from UConn?
Somebody needs to track down Bob. He was ubiquitous. Now they don't even use his voice anymore. He's probably miserable on his private island with his umbrella drinks. He needs to get back in the game!
1717863219145.jpeg

Reaction Score
He also has some money in the bank and will be making lots of money on the side.

And you’re assuming he’s never going to make another dollar after the contract is over, which is ridiculous.

I never said everybody is going to be a layabout totally dependent on his largesse. I said he could set up trust funds. Not even a debate. Of course he can.

His grandkids are gonna be just fine. I assure you.
There is nothing wrong with providing a safety net for grandkids or kids but I have too many stories of the third generation who were given too much not knowing how to earn for themselves and squandering an inheritance.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom