Lakers preparing offer for Hurley | Page 101 | The Boneyard

Lakers preparing offer for Hurley

Reaction Score
10 mil a year and a 10 mil buyout for an nba team taking him. Everyone wins.
If the NBA team isn't willing to pay 10 mil to get him then they don't really want him badly enough

Reaction Score
There is so much at play that people don't seem to be mentioning here. (At times they have but long thread) Flirting with LA has the potential to be a bargaining chip for more state funds to UConn. More pay to assistants. It's by no means a selfish move by Dan. It's actually an extremely pro-Uconn move to take the visit and return home rather than to shut the door immediately.
That’s quite the spin zone

dingaling

“There’s no better feeling than winning.” K.Powers
Reaction Score
There is so much at play that people don't seem to be mentioning here. (At times they have but long thread) Flirting with LA has the potential to be a bargaining chip for more state funds to UConn. More pay to assistants. It's by no means a selfish move by Dan. It's actually an extremely pro-Uconn move to take the visit and return home rather than to shut the door immediately.
Right. This move immediately forces UConn to pay fair market value for Hurley and everyone involved. It is the best thing he can do. Any smart business person would take the meeting.

Reaction Score
If $10m annually is what it takes, the state will get there I have total confidence. Lamont and company aren’t going to lose Hurley over a couple million a year.
2 mil is a rounding error in the Ct budget. If you’re willing to spend 7 spend 9

Reaction Score
Exactly.
First off, it’s your first NBA reach out. He’d be stupid not to talk with them.

secondly, in addition to his salary, There are prob things he wants in terms of facilities, program budget, staff etc. Lakers are a legit threat, not like Ky…it gets your bosses off their asses while you have the hammer. I truly hope that’s all it is and not a legit threat.

Reaction Score
I have been 100% consistent, unfortunately you are not. There’s a difference between aspirational goals and expectations. And you also ignored the team composition contrast between this year and last year.
Please share a single instance of someone with an expectation of a 3peat (who wasn't joking).

Reaction Score
So do you think if he had already signed a new deal with UConn that he was happy with he wouldn't be in LA today? As many have said, this isn't about
There’s nothing that Dave Benedict could have done to stop what is happen or not happening .

Nba is way more popular and powerful, and a draw, than college basketball fans think.

Reaction Score
There isn't a single coach in college basketball right now that has the right to feel insulted by not being paid as much as Bill Self, that includes Hurley. I think Dan is the best coach in the sport, but because of Self's longevity at the top, I think it's fair for him to be highest paid. If the offer on the table made DH the 5th or so highest paid then he would have every reason to feel insulted because he should absolutely be at least 2nd on that list going forward and UConn needs to pony up the $$$ for that type of contract.
It's an economic issue also. Kansas basketball generates much more revenue than UConn does. Hurley is justified in getting as much money from UConn as he can but ultimately the school can't just give him a blank check and tell him he can be the highest paid college basketball coach if they can't afford to do that.

Reaction Score
The two most famous words by MJ. "I'M BACK". Be nice to hear that again.

Reaction Score
It's an economic issue also. Kansas basketball generates much more revenue than UConn does. Hurley is justified in getting as much money from UConn as he can but ultimately the school can't just give him a blank check and tell him he can be the highest paid college basketball coach if they can't afford to do that.
This isn't true anymore

Reaction Score
Its the state of Connecticut. Yes, they can.

Reaction Score
Do you think that he wants to stay at UConn and is waiting for the final package before deciding? (Not rhetorical. I'm really curious)

awy

Reaction Score
looking at some numbers, the application number for uconn is spiking and idk how much of that is the college basketball attraction, but it could be a decent chunk. revenue aside, hurley's program is generating a lot of intangible value for the school and state and further success would only take it to the next level with the national coverage.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
So do you think if he had already signed a new deal with UConn that he was happy with he wouldn't be in LA today? As many have said, this isn't about money.
I think it’s all about money. He should be the highest paid coach in college and he would be at every P4 conference school. But it’s not just about money for Dan. It about money to sustain the program. Expanding Gampel the right way. Using the HCC the right way.

Making sure the best coaching staff in the country is paid like the best coaching staff in the country.

Even if he leaves, I just can’t believe that there would not be something involved that he pushed over the end line that helps the program. That is where this all falls apart for me, I get that he may leave, but I believe we have seen the genuine Dan Hurley and if him leaving tanks the program, he is going to do everything he can to help make sure that does not happen.

If this is about the money that would be best for UConn. If it’s about Danny chasing another dream then I think that is a worse scenario.

I know this, if he decides to stay and we get a better Gampel and a better HCC schedule and more rich donors understanding UConn Men’s and Women’s basketball is what the state of Connecticut’s identity is rooted in. So how much is an entire state’s identity worth. I would say $10M a year seems fair. The Lakers are big business but this involves an entire state and its economy. As a state or boosters we need to pony up.

If he does all that then legend is an understatement.

Reaction Score
Exactly.
First off, it’s your first NBA reach out. He’d be stupid not to talk with them.

secondly, in addition to his salary, There are prob things he wants in terms of facilities, program budget, staff etc. Lakers are a legit threat, not like Ky…it gets your bosses off their asses while you have the hammer. I truly hope that’s all it is and not a legit threat.
If this is a legit threat, then Danny isn't the guy he said he is. All I have heard is that the biggest reason why Danny would jump to the NBA is to prove to people that doubt him. Huh? He is at the pinnacle of college basketball, he has climbed to the mountaintop, and is on the verge of securing a legacy only the greats can claim. To jump now, to jump at this time, with this team would make zero sense. It would invalidate some of the hard work he put in to get here. Why leave now? For a couple extra bucks? The NBA offer will always be there for him and if he wins a three peat or even comes close, the offer will be even bigger than this one. Even if the Lakers are his dream job, this move, with where they are as a franchise makes more sense two years from now. I truly believe that the Danny we have grown to love is the real Danny. I truly believe behind closed doors, Danny will probably say he wasn't thrilled with the constant media coverage the last two days. None of this makes much sense. None of this represents the Dan Hurley I know. The State of CT has gone and will go above and beyond to show Danny how much we value him. If thats not enough, and he can actually walk away from all of this, then a bit of who he showed us here will feel very disingenous.

Reaction Score
looking at some numbers, the application number for uconn is spiking and idk how much of that is the college basketball attraction, but it could be a decent chunk. revenue aside, hurley's program is generating a lot of intangible value for the school and state and further success would only take it to the next level with the national coverage.
Has nothing to do with it.

today HS grads adopt the ‘spray and pray’ approach and it’s not uncommon to spam out 20+ applications to see which hit. It’s not just UCONN, it’s everywhere. The international marketing doesn’t help matters either.

Reaction Score
I also wonder how Andrea got along with Jeanie. Not saying Jeanie is not a nice person but when I lived in LA it always seemed like she was All business all the time. She'd have to see her quite a bit I believe.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom