Lakers preparing offer for Hurley | Page 100 | The Boneyard

Lakers preparing offer for Hurley

Reaction Score
I’ve asked this before. Who are the Uber wealthy/billionaires from UConn? I know Burton and Worth donated serious coin, but I don’t think they are in the Tysons/Walmart level.

My guess is the wealthiest folks are Yale alums not UConn
They're in lower Fairfield County and not all Yale but all private school, they don't care about State U.

Reaction Score
Wrong. It’s really $6m a year after tax. Let’s say he doesn’t spend and of it and has $60 m in 10 years. At +/- 7%. After tax that’s +/- $2.2m a year. Him and his wife, their kids and grands kids all have to live on that.

Listen it real money, but but comments about generational wealth and grand kids won’t have to ever work are delusional

This is hilarious.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
We don’t have a small fanbase, we sellout games in NYC and get the best Big East TV ratings
Getting the best Big East TV ratings is like being the tallest kid in the room but they’re all in kindergarten and we’re in 5th grade

If we didn’t outdraw Providence Xavier and DePaul on TV given the massive alumni gap between our schools it would be an absolute failure. There’s inherent advantages UConn has over everyone else in this league due to being a massive public school. Fan and alumni interest is one of them.

Reaction Score
They're in lower Fairfield County and not all Yale but all private school, they don't care about State U.
One of Connecticut's 15 or so billionaires is Todd Boehly who is a part owner of the Lakers (and Dodgers, Sparks and English soccer team Chelsea).

Reaction Score
Getting the best Big East TV ratings is like being the tallest kid in the room but they’re all in kindergarten and we’re in 5th grade

If we didn’t outdraw Providence Xavier and DePaul on TV given the massive alumni gap between our schools it would be an absolute failure. There’s inherent advantages UConn has over everyone else in this league due to being a massive public school. Fan and alumni interest is one of them.
True. However, it brings up another point. UConn really isn’t very big. A lot of state U’s are 2-4x larger.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
Is UConn practicing today and is Hurley there? If he is, presumably he might say something to the team about the state of his decision?
Once he does we should all know a little while later. No way a group of 18-22 year olds can keep that secret with social media at their finger tips.

Reaction Score
Do I think Danny’s camp pushed UConn to negotiate with Geno…no I don’t.

Geno isn’t going anywhere at this age. If they wanted to give him 5 more years, fine. But he’s either at UConn or retiring. No need to overpay.

And they better have a succession plan already….
Huh? This has nothing to do w Geno. They are each isolated negotiations Danny clearly wasn’t ready to sign the extension. This is probably why. The fact that an extension hasn’t been signed isn’t the fault of AD DB it’s because Danny’s agent is playing the game.

Reaction Score
I don't use Twitter. My buddy is sending me tweets from some guy @ryan rueda
Who is claiming that he has sources saying Hury has agreed to lakers terms and a few lakers fans have replied to him saying that they heard the same.
Can someone more savvy than me investigate?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Not what I said. Geno was just made highest paid womens cbb coach, no? Hurley should be made the same in men’s cbb, proportional to the price tag in the men’s game.
Isn't that sentence really, as a back to back national champion, Connecticut should make Hurley the highest paid coach in college basketball?

Geno has nothing to do with it. Unless you think that Geno wasn't at Connecticut it would be fair to pay Hurly less.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If injuries have been consistently such a big issue for UConn WBB, at some point one has to ask is injury history part of our recruiting evaluation, is our conditioning program adequate and do we work them too hard in practice?
I don’t know the answers to any of these questions but after several years of bad injury “luck”, it is time to ask the questions.
I actually don't think this is unfair since our "bad luck" has been consistent enough that it seems like more than a statistical aberration. I do believe the injury bug hit before we brought Hurdy back but it hasn't subsided since she's been here. Note that I am not suggesting that there is an issue, I'm just saying it's a fair question to ask, and maybe irresponsible not to ask it.

For what it's worth, I doubt this question has escaped the attention of Geno, his staff and the AD.

Reaction Score
Believe absolutely nothing unless it comes from Woj. That's the only person that DH is dropping news to.

Reaction Score
I don't use Twitter. My buddy is sending me tweets from some guy @ryan rueda
Who is claiming that he has sources saying Hury has agreed to lakers terms and a few lakers fans have replied to him saying that they heard the same.
Can someone more savvy than me investigate?
Some dumb fan account. Tell your friend to work on his media literacy

Reaction Score
He also has some money in the bank and will be making lots of money on the side.

And you’re assuming he’s never going to make another dollar after the contract is over, which is ridiculous.

I never said everybody is going to be a layabout totally dependent on his largesse. I said he could set up trust funds. Not even a debate. Of course he can.

His grandkids are gonna be just fine. I assure you.
I was commenting on the $100m, not other money he will make. The issue most people have understanding this is the differences between annual income and net worth.

Reaction Score
How can the state not offer 10mm???

I know I am in RI, but is there anyone here in CT who would object to having their taxes go up $10 next year to keep Danny????? How do we not offer to make him the highest paid coach in the sport?????

This is insane. Or I am insane. Someone help me here.
If $10m annually is what it takes, the state will get there I have total confidence. Lamont and company aren’t going to lose Hurley over a couple million a year.

Reaction Score
I wonder if Dan saw an offer that pays him less than Bill Self and felt insulted. Especially since UConn must’ve known about the Kentucky interest.

They shoulda had a lifetime contract ready for him on the plane back to Connecticut, making him the highest paid coach in the sport, the day after the championship game.

It was a massive failure by the state not to have this done well before the Lakers realized he was still an option. Hopefully that ‘can’t say no’ offer is waiting on his desk when he comes back.
So do you think if he had already signed a new deal with UConn that he was happy with he wouldn't be in LA today? As many have said, this isn't about money.

Reaction Score
So do you think if he had already signed a new deal with UConn that he was happy with he wouldn't be in LA today? As many have said, this isn't about money.
Isn't the supposed Lakers deal less than what Kentucky was offering?

Reaction Score
Steve Cohen (26BB) lives in Greenwich but is a UPENN alum.

Ray Dalio is here as well.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
There is so much at play that people don't seem to be mentioning here. (At times they have but long thread) Flirting with LA has the potential to be a bargaining chip for more state funds to UConn. More pay to assistants. It's by no means a selfish move by Dan. It's actually an extremely pro-Uconn move to take the visit and return home rather than to shut the door immediately.

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
If $10m annually is what it takes, the state will get there I have total confidence. Lamont and company aren’t going to lose Hurley over a couple million a year.
I pray to god you are right but not much makes me feel otherwise about the state. See: no new contract done a month ago.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom