Lakers preparing offer for Hurley | Page 98 | The Boneyard

Lakers preparing offer for Hurley

Reaction Score
If they can make Geno the highest paid women’s coach at this point in his career there is no excuse for not doing the same for Dan, the best coach in college basketball….

I don’t live in Ct but I’m guessing the vibe is a bit different than 2018. That’s worth something even if it comes from the state coffers.
Agreed. Geno is the goat of womens basketball but he also hasn’t won a national championship since 2016, longest stretch of his career since winning his first. Hurley deserves to be compensated like Geno commensurate to his success in the men’s game.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Agreed. Geno is the goat of womens basketball but he also hasn’t won a national championship since 2016, longest stretch of his career since winning his first. Hurley deserves to be compensated like Geno commensurate to his success in the men’s game.
So you want Hurley to take a pay cut? Probably bad timing to float that idea.

Reaction Score
If they can make Geno the highest paid women’s coach at this point in his career there is no excuse for not doing the same for Dan, the best coach in college basketball….

I don’t live in Ct but I’m guessing the vibe is a bit different than 2018. That’s worth something even if it comes from the state coffers.
And pay 40 mill for a hockey facility ya they got the money.

Reaction Score
That is going to be hard. I really don’t agree with those that it will be all hugs and kisses on this board if he leaves and the season tanks. Guess now we really know what the me season is. What this decision all means to us must be similiar to what he goes through when the portal is open.

But it still stinks and the only way it does not tarnish his legacy is if Kimani and Luke stay and we have a great couple years we will forget.

But if we stink for the next three or four year or forever with the P4 craziness it will always be a point of contention.

When the suffering starts the Hurley love will morph into something else.

It is human nature.
Hey let us not forget that a little over a year ago or so there were gebonzoes here who wanted Hurley fired. So hatred and crapping on teams, coaches, AD’s ( albeit some ADs deserve it) is part of our culture. It’s a Connecticut thing.

Reaction Score
There is no question Self is the most accomplished coach currently. Also no question Hurley is the hottest coach right now. Hurley needs to make more than Self, just make it happen.

Reaction Score
Okay absolutely unfiltered from X and probably wrong.

SquarePic_20240608_11014792.jpg

Reaction Score
Don’t you think this was by design and controlled by Danny’s camp?
Do I think Danny’s camp pushed UConn to negotiate with Geno…no I don’t.

Geno isn’t going anywhere at this age. If they wanted to give him 5 more years, fine. But he’s either at UConn or retiring. No need to overpay.

And they better have a succession plan already….

Reaction Score
Hey let us not forget that a little over a year ago or so there were gebonzoes here who wanted Hurley fired. So hatred and crapping on teams, coaches, AD’s ( albeit some ADs deserve it) is part of our culture. It’s a Connecticut thing.

I agree with this, except it's not a Connecticut thing its a major college athletics thing. There is no loyalty from fanbases and that is especailly true towards coaches. To think that coaches should show loyalty in the face of that is duplicous beyond comprehension.

Reaction Score
Hey look guys we got Jeff Bezos over here

Stop watching CNBC and join the real world, Jim. That kind of money lets you set up trust funds for your grandkids.
Wrong. It’s really $6m a year after tax. Let’s say he doesn’t spend and of it and has $60 m in 10 years. At +/- 7%. After tax that’s +/- $2.2m a year. Him and his wife, their kids and grands kids all have to live on that.

Listen it real money, but but comments about generational wealth and grand kids won’t have to ever work are delusional

Reaction Score
G
The women's side has had a 3 year run of some of the worst injury luck any major program has ever had. They've lost something like 16 scholarship players to significant or season ending injuries in the last 3 seasons.

Pretty good argument that the last few seasons have been some of Genos best coaching in his career.
This is true, but there's also something to be said that his staff are stale retreads and not at the cutting edge of the sport.

Reaction Score
Hurley carried around and easel with a picture of the National Championship trophy the last couple years. But it’s totally the fans setting those expectations…

This is UConn. We’ve won 6 titles in 25 years. Winning a Championship is the goal, every single season. That’s what happens when you are a blue blood.
Again, it was great having that as a goal. Last season we had 2 top 10 NBA picks, 2 other returning NC starters and an experienced transfer. We can have it as a goal again but have you been asleep the last few days. It is a jump ball if our head coach is returning. So that is an example of how everything needs to fall in place and how difficult it is.
You keep quoting Hurley but isn’t he the guy that might first upset the 3 peat apple cart?

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I’m feeling good about things today.

It’s good he left without agreeing to anything.

And it’s good (as Chief pointed out in his otherwise strange post) that Andrea wasn’t looking at neighborhoods.

And it’s good he’s making the decision in Connecticut.

Vibes on Storrs Central are good too FWIW

#doomed

Reaction Score
I think you have to concede that injuries played a huge role in that. So unless you're talking about getting rid of Andrea Hurdy, I'm not sure how it change in staff would have changed the outcome. Though I wouldn't mind seeing a younger more relatable coach on the staff. I not sure that Morgan Valley fills that need successfully.
If injuries have been consistently such a big issue for UConn WBB, at some point one has to ask is injury history part of our recruiting evaluation, is our conditioning program adequate and do we work them too hard in practice?
I don’t know the answers to any of these questions but after several years of bad injury “luck”, it is time to ask the questions.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom