Lakers preparing offer for Hurley | Page 49 | The Boneyard

Lakers preparing offer for Hurley

Reaction Score
Doyle says UConn will "undoubtedly" exceed Self's salary--meaning at least doubling DH to $10 M/yr.
How much higher would L.A. go? Money may not be the determinant.
It won't be because of money. The dude spent most of his adult life on a teachers salary. UConn is already paying him more than he probably knows what to do with.

Reaction Score
Woj just said on ESPN he’s flying to LA tomorrow to meet with the Lakers contingent. If he comes back with no deal hopefully that means something…

Reaction Score
Saw this thread this morning on my commute to work and nearly cursed out loud.

I would wish Hurley the best, but would be dreading the potential for another rebuild.

Pessimist I am, I can see a potential for a nightmare scenario.....

With the uncertain atmosphere around college sports, the Big East (especially UConn) need to be as strong and marketable as possible.

Dan Hurley leaving leaves a huge void for the BE, especially being no Jay Wright is around to keep the conference at a championship level.

The BE and UConn slowly erode.

My back to back championship high is officially over.

Reaction Score
Exceptional college basketball coach from the Northeast coaching the likes of The Wrench and Andre Jackson is not going to coach an NBA team in LA with lebron of all people. Knicks I could see.

Reaction Score
Hurley is a terrible fit for 90% of the NBA teams. NBA players Young and hungry and underpaid is his cup of tea.

Reaction Score
Michael Malone won last year's title. Joe Mazzulla won 64 games this year and has his team in the finals. Rick Carlisle got his team to the final of the inaugural IST and the East finals. Tom Thibodeau led the Knicks to their best season in 25 years. Pat Riley remains one of the most successful and influential execs in the league.

Of all the nonsense takes in this thread, "east coast type A personalities don't work in the NBA" might win first prize. Well done.
I am referring to his sideline demeanor. It changed this past year or so from absolutely embarrassing to professional and fiery. My guess is that was due to having the best team playing really well for two years. He will not have the best team in coaching the Lakers. If he goes there we will see.... If he can behave professionally he has a chance. If he reverts to his old ways he will lose his locker room and the media pretty quickly.

Reaction Score
The whole timing of this just makes zero sense to me. We always knew that DH had aspirations to coach in the NBA one day, but in every interview he stated that he's not ready yet and it would be years and years down the line. He's only 51 and arguably the best coach in the sport so the NBA opportunities will always be there for him. I don't really understand the sudden change of tune now. If this was the Knicks, Celtics, or Nets job it would make a little more sense.

Reaction Score
You don't make a decision on their turf. At least I hope he comes back to think it over and have a word with people he trusts. The 3-peat is a tough dream to give up on.

Come on Paulie, we got more to do.

Unless he is there to sign on the dotted line.

Reaction Score
Im not 100% sure about this, but ive always been under the impression nba coaching is a bit less life-consuming than college. The portal has undoubtedly increased the demand on the coaches lives.

I could see DH considering the move simply because coaching may become more of a job. Not an all-consuming way of life.

Reaction Score
there's a large amount of buy-in from the lakers ownership. it's not just for the next 2 lebron years, but the long term rebuild. i don't think other nba franchises can top that. the knicks are too parochial and dolan controlled to hand over control, this is pretty much the perfect job for him.
I would agree if it were somewhat close to NJ, and if the team either had the pieces to win now or was in rebuild mode. They sort of have none of that, just an insane storied franchise to have the keys to. I think if it were a true rebuild, a team full of young guys and with more top picks coming, he’d be more likely to take the gig because it would be like a transition for him, where he’d still be brought in to mentor and improve a young core and build a culture.

If it were the nets, the Knicks, I’d be certain he’s gone, instead I’m strangely confident he’ll be our coach next year, and we’ll thank him for this weekend because it got us $ to improve the stadiums

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom