Lakers preparing offer for Hurley | Page 48 | The Boneyard

Lakers preparing offer for Hurley

Reaction Score
I was (gladfully) wrong about Karaban decision so I should probably keep my mouth shut… but I just don’t see it. Its just their young core does not get me excited at all.

Reaction Score
I don't get the Geno hate at all. Geno is Geno. Geno is one of the pillars that's made Storrs the capital of basketball. He's always said what's on his mind for better or worse. He's still ours for the next five years and we should appreciate every one of those years.

Personally, I don't think DH goes. The NBA will be there next year and the year after. The opportunity for a three-peat and history will not. He's already done all the hard work by getting this group together. I think his competitive drive will tell him that he's got a better chance at an enduring legacy seeing this season thru at Storrs than he does as a rookie coach in a rebuilding scenario. I also think his coaching style simply won't work in the NBA and he sorta knows that deep down.
Now that Calhoun says Hurley absolutely has to look at it everyone has calmed down on the Gene hate….

Reaction Score
Seth Greenberg just on Mad Dog this afternoon he received a call from Danny to discuss this potential move. Dog asked him end of the show what he thought he’d do….he said he thinks he’s taking it
Not great. Dan and Seth are very very close.

Reaction Score
Dan needs to understand that there's a huge faultline out there at San Andreas and the entire coast of LA is going to fall into the sea. This is a big risk. UConn is not going to fall into the sea.
What about Avery Point? Very close to the sea!

Reaction Score
Dan needs to understand that there's a huge faultline out there at San Andreas and the entire coast of LA is going to fall into the sea. This is a big risk. UConn is not going to fall into the sea.
It’s a matter of public record that Storrs is the safest place as far as natural disasters go.

Reaction Score
This really can’t be overstated. Between coaching, managing the academic side, NIL, recruiting, and the transfer portal, there is no offseason and the hours are brutal year round.
That is what makes Hurley such a great college coach. It is hard work, and he is a tireless hard worker. It is why he is one of the best college coaches.
At NBA level, what makes a great coach is someone who can diffuse the situation when a player like Draymond Green punches a teammate. Or someone who can get rest of team to not be pissed off my Michael Jordon’s cockiness.
At Lakers success will be mostly about getting Lebron and Davis on board with whatever you are trying to do.

Reaction Score
Now that Calhoun says Hurley absolutely has to look at it everyone has calmed down on the Gene hate….
Hardly call that hate. You can probably appreciate the not so subtle differences in what each man actually said though. “Do your due diligence” vs “crazy not to do it”. Carry on..

Reaction Score
True. But if you’re a “blue-collar guy” I think that kind of stuff matters. LA isn’t the safest place to raise a family either.
I think I wrote this earlier, but everyone seems to be picturing Danny walking down the stairs in a third floor apartment in El Segundo getting into an ‘82 Corolla hoping the radiator doesn’t over heat. He’ll find a safe place to live, and he already raised his family.

awy

Reaction Score
i'm not sure why the ad isn't just pitching the idea that he stays one more year. let the staff get more experience and raise his profile even more with a 3 peat. the issue with the lakers move is that the org is pitching it as a long term rebuild project but the reality is that they are a win now team with aging stars. unless they are trading lebron and ad for picks the transition between the win now lebron team and the hypothetical hurley future is less than clear. in a year's time this will be more clear and lakers won't have a permanent coach in place.

Reaction Score
This is a change of life decision. There are pros and cons. The only risk I see is legacy. He can stay and get a high profile nba job down the road. He can go, fail, and come back to a top 5 college job. He will make generational wealth at either place. It’s how he wants to be remembered. He can stay, maybe win a third, and become an all timer. He can go, win an nba title, and become an all timer. It’s the what if that matters. What if he goes and fails while the next coach wins a title in storrs? What does that mean? I love Danny as a coach. I just hope he realizes there will be better opportunities down the road. This Laker job is mess and I am not confident he will do well there. Besides, the timing for UConn is brutal. Fans are fickle. If he goes and half the team enters the portal, some of the goodwill will evaporate immediately. Right or wrong.

Reaction Score
Andrea going to LA to meet with Lakers execs reminds me of the UConn president meeting with Karaban's mother. We know who needs to be convinced.
His kids weren’t raised in that is all I’m saying. It’s just different and I’m sure Andrea and him might think about it. I’m not negative on LA. I’m just thinking as a parent working in/near LA with two 20-something year olds what that might be like compared to CT. It’s night and day.

Reaction Score
Doyle says UConn will "undoubtedly" exceed Self's salary--meaning at least doubling DH to $10 M/yr.
How much higher would L.A. go? Money may not be the determinant.
It's not the exclusive determinant (nice word, btw), but it's one of them, or rather, it becomes one once a team like the Lakers comes a-callin'.

Hell, if Hurley wants it, he can have an escalator clause added to his contract so that he remains one of the highest paid coaches during his 'next' contract at Connecticut.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
The NBA is a players league. Players run the team not the coach.
I could not agree more. Trying to change styles. I don't think so. DH could take a youngun and develop the the crap out of him. Pro's? there might be a lot of head butting.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom