Lakers preparing offer for Hurley | Page 191 | The Boneyard

Lakers preparing offer for Hurley

Reaction Score
On the other hand, doesn't this increase the probability that Hurley is using this as leverage in negotiations with Benedict?
Going to the Lakers for LeBron's last ride is super high-risk, high-reward for a first time NBA coach. If he wins a title, he's a HOF lock and a legend.

If he faceplants, he could be out of the league and take a while to get a second chance, and there's a decent chance of that.

My gut feeling is he's using this as leverage for a contract here and will go to the NBA eventually, but not for at least another handful of years. Remember, Billy Donovan won back to back, was courted by the NBA, even took the Magic job at one point before reneging, and ultimately coached at Florida 8 years after his second title.
Its entirely possible he takes the offer, but it's also the case that everything we've seen so far is consistent with both sides going through the exercise for leverage.
The other impression I get is that Hurley is really enjoying being "wined and dined" and he deserves it. That isn't to say he wouldn't seriously consider the offer, but there's something to be said for him relishing this experience in itself and sees being courted in this way as a reward in itself.
Yes, I think he recognizes that being courted by the Lakers and turning them down would elevate his personal brand and that of UConn to legendary status. There is no downside to him doing what he's doing, even if he's currently leaning towards staying.
It seems much more (or, at worst, equally) likely that Hurley has been working with Benedict for months, there were hurdles outside either of their control, and Hurley is using this as leverage to help both himself and Benedict get there with the powers that be.
Um, or it's taking time to iron out the revised UConn offer.
Appropriate level of relaxed (and of shelling out money) for a guy who's getting a big raise at his current gig.
My head canon/theory is that AD Dave knows exactly what he's doing and the hold-up to getting a new Hurley contract in place is above his head.

He tacitly supported Hurley listening to the Lakers' interest in the guise of "hey, I need an earth-shattering competing offer in hand in order to get our people to move on this."

Hurley went through the dog and pony show, got the Lakers offer, with the intention of using it as leverage to help Benedict jolt the powers that be into finishing his new UConn contract with some urgency. If he were really blown away he might take it, but I think both he and Benedict know that the play is almost certainly to get a beefier contract here.

Hurley, again with tacit approval from Benedict, has played coy in order to keep the powers that be uncomfortable and eager to finish the deal.
This has been my read from the beginning and nothing I've seen so far is inconsistent with it.

That's not to say it's impossible for him to leave (indeed, the actions we've seen so far aren't inconsistent with that outcome either), but nothing is contradicting my prior that this was first and foremost a play for leverage (and maybe a little well-deserved flattery).
I'm just going to leave all these here.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
I've had a lot of practice, all good.
family guy pointing GIF

Reaction Score
Not going through that exercise but my posts speak for themselves.

My underwear stayed dry the entire time, let's put it that way.
Really? Even when the $100 million number was (falsely) reported?

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Really? Even when the $100 million number was (falsely) reported?

You can search my posts. (Not that you'd want to.) No.

I'm not going to say I wasn't concerned, because of course I was, but I was always optimistic. There was never a second I would have bet against him returning.

It always seemed to me that (a) he'd be crazy to not hear the Lakers out, (b) this was a great way to negotiate the best possible deal with UConn, and (c) there was nothing that indicated to me there was anything beyond interest in his part.

Reaction Score
Our guy Mr John Fanta was a bit of a hack in all this. Between his early Laker's call and the false contract numbers, starting to feel like Johnny Boy is more about self promotion then getting real facts. He's a cute act while he's credible, but once his ballooned need for attention becomes his primary driver, my sense is that the Fanta train may start losing steam.

Reaction Score
Seriously, who didn't see this coming

Thank you Andrea for keeping him grounded

And thank you Bob Sr, for instilling loyalty

We have our boy
Well a bunch of reporters didn't see it. And I'd be shocked if a number of them won't try to turn this around to make Coach Hurley the bad guy for listening to an offer and thinking about all his options. The "we got played" reaction is just sour grapes from guys that can't admit they played themselves.

Reaction Score
This gives UConn a few years of “don’t talk to our guy” space. Now Hurley has turned down one of the top college bball jobs and one of the top NBA franchises in the matter of a couple months. Anyone that could poach him isn’t going to try for fear of failing like UK and the Lakers.

Reaction Score
I thought he had a place on the Connecticut shore. East Lyme maybe?
he may have both. Was in Avalon for years, sold that in 2021 - bought another somewhere in NJ.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Awesome story. I love that.
You really outdid yourself staying chill through this process.
And one more thing...I personally consider Kent Falls to be the most underrated brewery in the country. You got great taste
Thanks for the tip. Not too far from there. Nice ride up 7.

Reaction Score
This gives UConn a few years of “don’t talk to our guy” space. Now Hurley has turned down one of the top college bball jobs and one of the top NBA franchises in the matter of a couple months. Anyone that could poach him isn’t going to try for fear of failing like UK and the Lakers.
And the associated public embarrassment. This also set the absolute floor to start a negotiation. Master class by Danny and his agent.

Reaction Score

last night i was envisioning the players gathered in the Werth gym waiting for practice to start. all of a sudden the lights go out. it's pitch black and that scene from wolf of wall street starts playing on the big screen. as soon as Leo screams, I'M NOT FREAKIN LEAVING the doors slam open. music starts blaring on the loudspeakers and hurley struts in like he's vince mcmahon at wrestemania. the players run over and tackle him to the ground. glorious.
Wwe Raw GIF

Last edited:

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
You can search my posts. (Not that you'd want to.) No.

I'm not going to say I wasn't concerned, because of course I was, but I was always optimistic. There was never a second I would have bet against him returning.

It always seemed to me that (a) he'd be crazy to not hear the Lakers out, (b) this was a great way to negotiate the best possible deal with UConn, and (c) there was nothing that indicated to me there was anything beyond interest in his part.

That’s how I was too. I admit I was nervous at stages, but I never thought he’d leave, and I feel this is how it was expected to end.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SmoothWilly

p
Top Bottom