Lakers preparing offer for Hurley | Page 17 | The Boneyard

Lakers preparing offer for Hurley

Reaction Score
The ESPN article talked about getting a full buy-in from AD about his role. Will he be ok setting screens?
When motivated, he does now.

Lebron can talk all he wants about the complicated unique sets Hurley runs; when it comes down to hit, is Lebron going to change the ball dominate, iso heavy way he has played for 20 years…buy in to giving up the ball, moving without the ball and improve his 3 point shooting???

Good luck

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
We're basically screwed. Most portal players have already signed elsewhere and our guys are free to go wherever they want. If Luke becomes HC I can see enough guys staying to still have a good year but the worst case scenario puts us with no coaches and no players.
We would basically be in a point where your realistic options are Kimani or Murray are the new head coach with the max chance of retaining players, or you hire a coach who has players who would follow him to UConn.

Reaction Score
Lebron can talk all he wants about the complicated unique sets Hurley runs; when it comes down to hit, is Lebron going to change the ball dominate, iso heavy way he has played for 20 years…buy in to giving up the ball, moving without the ball and improve his 3 point shooting???

What?

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
If DH could get us a three-peat, I'd happily drive him to whatever NBA team facility he goes to, but the timing sucks. The Buss and LeBron dynamic also sucks.

Honestly the 3-peat is the last thing on my mind. What I'm worried about is a mass exodus of coaches & players, making us start from scratch. Every time we think UConn has cemented itself in the top tier, we get punched in the gut. If this happens, this season will be really tough. We'll have to chase some big names and see if the UConn brand without Calhoun or Hurley is as awesome as we think it is. What I loved about hiring Hurley was how much he respected UConn, as a Big East guy. He was just a special hire at the perfect time. Can lightning a 3rd time?

All hypothetical at this point. I'm concerned but not going to freak out unless there's reason to freak out.

Reaction Score

Good luck

Top 5 in Assists all time.. Just had his career high for 3PFG%, and moving without the ball is a system choice, not a player choice. he did pretty well off the ball in Miami though.

Reaction Score
This from The Athletic:

What would Hurley bring as an NBA head coach?​

Hurley is by far the best NBA prospect among college coaches. He runs an intricate, NBA-style offensive system that generates 3s and rim attempts through lots of player movement off screens and dribble-handoffs. It deploys multiple ballhandlers who can initiate the offense into its main actions and disguises its sets well with different variations and counters off the same formations and sets. But the scheme isn’t rigid; Hurley gives his players freedom to play loose and attack based on what the defense is giving them.

Defensively, Hurley has also shown a willingness to adapt to his players’ skills and opponents’ tendencies. He has run drop coverage on pick-and-rolls with bigs like Donovan Clingan and blitzed with more mobile players like Samson Johnson. Last season, he largely brought Adama Sanogo to the level of the screen or deployed him in a show-and-recover scheme.

In terms of scouting, Hurley’s teams were among the most well-prepared in the country. They identified their opponents’ weakness and relentlessly attacked them with pinpoint precision. Once they found a set that worked, they were unafraid to run it multiple times in a row until the opponent stopped it. — Sam Vecenie, senior basketball writer

Reaction Score

Good luck

Have you actually watched Lebron play basketball?

Reaction Score
If Hurley leaves after basically reassuring Karaban of a possible 3-Peat that is going to leave a sour taste in my mouth. Why taint your legacy to go coach a bunch of prima donnas? Andrea really wants to move to LA? This just sounds like a disaster when he can really cement his legacy as one of the best college coaches ever. I hope he does the smart thing and stays and UConn pays up more money to keep him.

Reaction Score
Top 5 in Assists all time.. Just had his career high for 3PFG%, and moving without the ball is a system choice, not a player choice. he did pretty well off the ball in Miami though.
#5 in nba in iso points #2 is post points

They actually moved the ball better when he wasn’t in the game

Reaction Score
When you have one of the best coaches in the country this is what's going to happen year after year

I don't believe he's leaving. I believe he has his dream job and loyalty runs strong in him. He can't mold NBA players, and they're not going to run his motion offense

Just more hot air
I so want to believe what you posted but money and ego make people do things and make decisions thst they ordinarily wouldn’t do.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Without going thru this thread again (am too busy throwing up in my mouth), the person I haven't seen a comment from is Magic Johnson.

Am I missing something, or hasn't he said anything publicly yet?

Reaction Score
Well this sucks. UConn has no chance competing against the NBA. Dan got an itch about the NBA, and he will most likely scratch it since his stock will never be higher.

The best plan for UConn is probably promoting one of the assistants with the hope of keeping the team intact.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom