Lakers preparing offer for Hurley | Page 15 | The Boneyard

Lakers preparing offer for Hurley

Reaction Score
You're talking about people being naive without acknowledging that Woj and Shams leak whatever their sources want them to leak, when they want them to leak it. So that they continue getting scoops. It's an ecosystem.

Yeah, it's clearly legitimate that the Lakers are interested. It takes two to tango. Danny will no doubt listen. I would. His agent would fire him as a client if he didn't.

Let's wait until Woj reports Danny wants the job and the two sides are negotiating the terms before throwing our hands in the air.

It's really amazing seeing people's defense mechanisms kicking in here. Saw the same thing with Alex. Everybody saying he was gone so they could protect themselves emotionally in the event he did leave.

Nobody has any basis to handicap this based on a couple tweets that say the Lakers are going to make an offer.

It's not a "will listen" thing

He's been listening.

Reaction Score
He’s not stupid

You CANNOT win with that team and a 40 year old LeBron, max contract, calling the shots. Cap strapped. No first round pick next year.

Hes “exploring” what a partnership would look like…

He’s not dumb. He HAS to know a rebuild, without Lebron, is required.

And most likely, AD would need to go as well
They are not offering him a 3-4 year deal. They are offering him a long term deal to take them through the inevitable rebuild so he can build the team to his tastes. Y'all also forget that once LeBron is gone, they are going to have a bunch of cap space to go get the top FA players. It's not going to take long to be competitive again

Reaction Score
A Hall of Fame coach once said he quit coaching in the NBA as soon as one of his players made more money than him because they wouldn't respect him. In today's NBA, pretty much the entire roster does and players can get coaches fired. Imagine working for a boss when you make three or five times what they make?

Reaction Score
About a month ago I came here to post this prediction and then got distracted by reading other threads and forgot, LOL. After I read Lebron's quotes about Hurley, I knew they were going to come after him. Coaching Lebron is a brutal thing though.

Reaction Score
This is the part that’s crazy to me. What if Hurley doesn’t want Bronny? What if some other team takes Bronny before LA? Taking a kid who put up 4 ppg in college just to keep Lebron is so anti-Hurley it sounds crazy to me.
He can’t possibly want Lebron. If he goes there, it’s to rebuild

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The lakers can’t win now no matter who the coach is. Does Hurley really want to go through a rebuild? If it’s just about money then go get that bag sir. I just think DH cares more about winning than money.

Hurley can take the Lakers job, win 40 games over the next two years while getting really paid, get fired, and then care about winning again when he returns to coaching college.

Reaction Score
I’d have to think that going there to have LeBron call the shots for 2-3 years wouldn’t sit well with him.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

Do you really think he's going to go in there and dictate to the Lakers to boot one of the best players of all-time? If he goes there LeBron is staying and they're drafting Bronny, and Dan is going to have to be OK with it.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Here are some things to think about:

Did coach K ever have serious NBA offers? If so, why didn't he jump on that?
Did coach JC ever " " " " " " " " " " " " ?
Did coach Jay W " '' '' " " " " " " " " " ?

Reaction Score
The lakers can’t win now no matter who the coach is. Does Hurley really want to go through a rebuild? If it’s just about money then go get that bag sir. I just think DH cares more about winning than money.
What if maybe he has confidence in his coaching ability and believes he can win in LA?

Reaction Score
He’s not stupid

You CANNOT win with that team and a 40 year old LeBron, max contract, calling the shots. Cap strapped. No first round pick next year.

Hes “exploring” what a partnership would look like…

He’s not dumb. He HAS to know a rebuild, without Lebron, is required.

And most likely, AD would need to go as well
Totally agree. Even as a Lakers fan this job is a future nightmare. Plus, gm and owner are so unbelievably stupid it’s stunning Hurley is doing this for anything other than contract negotiation leverage.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
You're talking about people being naive without acknowledging that Woj and Shams leak whatever their sources want them to leak, when they want them to leak it. So that they continue getting scoops. It's an ecosystem.

Yeah, it's clearly legitimate that the Lakers are interested. It takes two to tango. Danny will no doubt listen. I would. His agent would fire him as a client if he didn't.

Let's wait until Woj reports Danny wants the job and the two sides are negotiating the terms before throwing our hands in the air.

It's really amazing seeing people's defense mechanisms kicking in here. Saw the same thing with Alex. Everybody saying he was gone so they could protect themselves emotionally in the event he did leave.

Nobody has any basis to handicap this based on a couple tweets that say the Lakers are going to make an offer.

No.

But there is a basis to handicap it on based on what Coach Hurley has said in the press as recently as yesterday, no?

If you weigh his comments about the NBA over the years (and recently), and combine it with the type of opportunity that this unique instance presents and whether or not it checks the boxes that he himself has set as "need to haves" it should give an informed person major pause.

Does that mean he is going? Of course not. But I absolutely have an odds percentage in my own head, based on the facts we have been provided by both Hurley over the years, and now credible sources in regards to a specific opportunity.

Reaction Score
Hurley can take the Lakers job, win 40 games over the next two years while getting really paid, get fired, and then care about winning again when he returns to coaching college.
This is exactly right. It’s worked for Cal, Pitino, Saban, etc. He really can’t lose right now, and honestly he has earned it.

Reaction Score
I thought it was very odd how quickly the announced that the assistants would be back. It sounded to me like a succession plan.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

Money is the last thing this is about. Money is a factor in keeping score. In stating a value and worth in a profession. So in that manner it is great for the ego to be recognized as the top of the top and is a factor in that manner. That is why UConn already shouldve made him the highest paid coach in college, major slip that this wasn't already done, but that's not why he'd go.

This is about personal goals and achievement.

Reaction Score
Aka the Leonard Hamilton route.

Reaction Score
They are not offering him a 3-4 year deal. They are offering him a long term deal to take them through the inevitable rebuild so he can build the team to his tastes. Y'all also forget that once LeBron is gone, they are going to have a bunch of cap space to go get the top FA players. It's not going to take long to be competitive again
It’s career suicide stepping into that job with Lebron at this stage of his career

Ask frank Vogel and Darvin ham.

It makes sense if they are moving on from Lebron. If makes NO SENSE if he signs an extension.

Reaction Score
Money talks…I think he’ll seriously consider it, unfortunately
This isn’t solely about $$$. He’s getting paid no matter where he coaches. It’s more about two things, the state of college bb and also what Danny considers the ultimate challenge

Reaction Score
not like this. Hurley the lakers only REAL target, and want him to dictate the direction of the franchise and install his system and culture.
How does that happen w the father son duo there?

Reaction Score
If DH could get us a three-peat, I'd happily drive him to whatever NBA team facility he goes to, but the timing sucks. The Buss and LeBron dynamic also sucks.

Reaction Score
Kinda crazy that the Lakers have been focused on Hurley for a couple weeks yet there was no reporting on it before this morning.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom