Lakers preparing offer for Hurley | Page 16 | The Boneyard

Lakers preparing offer for Hurley

Reaction Score
It’s career suicide stepping into that job with Lebron at this stage of his career

Ask frank Vogel and Darvin ham.

It makes sense if they are moving on from Lebron. If makes NO SENSE if he signs an extension.
It’s not career suicide. Blue Blood college teams would be lining up with bags of money if Hurley flames out in the NBA.

Reaction Score
Do you really think he's going to go in there and dictate to the Lakers to boot one of the best players of all-time? If he goes there LeBron is staying and they're drafting Bronny, and Dan is going to have to be OK with it.
No, I dont he will be able to dictate anything

But it also makes no sense for either side bringing him in under those conditions

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

But it also makes no sense for either side bringing him in under those conditions

I would be very surprised if the Lakers move on from LeBron. I would also be surprised if LeBron steps back and lets Danny take control of the organization. If they move on from him, then good for Danny for getting a clean slate.

Reaction Score
For the Billy Donovan comparison, he was in a different situation. He had a down year at Florida (under .500 his final year there) and OKC was the hot up-and-coming team and a potential dynasty that just needed to get over the hump. He went from a blah college situation to a fantastic NBA one and nearly won a championship in his first season (that dreadful 3-1 collapse vs GSW). It was a no-brainer for him, IMO.

Hurley would be doing the opposite. The money and the guarantees are nice, but a long-term deal doesn't mean anything in the NBA. They'll fire you before you know it once things go south.

Reaction Score
I thought it was very odd how quickly the announced that the assistants would be back. It sounded to me like a succession plan.
I think their return was more about the chance to 3peat and also not being offered the right opportunity.

Reaction Score
How does that happen w the father son duo there?
Hurley has made the best of his current roster while putting his framework in place at every stop. LeBron at 40 is better than YouTube recruits. However, The faces he makes on the bench while Bron ‘plays’ D during the regular reason are going to be amazing.

Reaction Score
Might be a stupid ?, but what happens if this does happen (and I fear it will - when has Woj ever said “talks to intensify” and then it doesn’t happen? Rarely). I know the players have 30 days to transfer - what happens if they all leave? Do we even field a team that’s not all walk-ons next season? I’d HOPE Benedict is on the phone with every single donor right now and would hope Murray and/or Young stay, but I can see them going to LA with Hurley and then we have nobody.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
No.

But there is a basis to handicap it on based on what Coach Hurley has said in the press as recently as yesterday, no?

If you weigh his comments about the NBA over the years (and recently), and combine it with the type of opportunity that this unique instance presents and whether or not it checks the boxes that he himself has set as "need to haves" it should give an informed person major pause.

Does that mean he is going? Of course not. But I absolutely have an odds percentage in my own head, based on the facts we have been provided by both Hurley over the years, and now credible sources in regards to a specific opportunity.

He also needs a new contract. In addition to talking about the right opportunity, he also talked -- last night -- about the upcoming UConn season in the first person plural.

Yeah I know you've convinced yourself he's gone. You've made that clear.

There's a lot for Danny to think about. It will be really hard to turn down that money but that's a tough gig right now.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I'm sure he does, but does Hurley like the idea of being told what is going to happen by LeBron and Bronny?

I think that is one of the things being explored when Woj talks about "Los Angeles needs to paint a picture to Hurley on what his regime would look like"

August_West

Reaction Score
He also needs a new contract.

Yeah I know you've convinced yourself he's gone. You've made that clear.
I havent done that at all. Jeez talk about soomeone emotionally protecting themselves.

Reaction Score
Well he kind of warned everyone on the podcast earlier this week. I can’t see how he would turn down the offer and the opp to coach one of the greatest players who ever lived. And one of the top two pro teams in history.

I guess some things are too good to last. What stinks is how it impacts the young men who stayed and especially Alex.

This is the worst news I have woken up to in some time.

Alas let’s prove it to the world that we can win a chip with four different coaches.

We can also all say it won’t impact our feelings toward Hurley, but if we fall of the cliff of the college basketball landscape again in a year at least we won’t have to have anymore threads about comparing Calhoun and Hurley as to who was the greatest coach in UConn history.
It was just on ESPN that the ENTIRE TEAM HAS 30 DAYS TO TRANSFER if DH leaves. WTF, they won’t be able to field a team at this point. The portal is closed, other players on other teams don’t have the option to leave their team unless their coach also leaves. WTF I’m happy for the players that they get to decide their future but UConn will have a very hard time fielding a team next year.

Reaction Score

The ESPN article talked about getting a full buy-in from AD about his role. Will he be ok setting screens?

Reaction Score
I would be very surprised if the Lakers move on from LeBron. I would also be surprised if LeBron steps back and lets Danny take control of the organization. If they move on from him, then good for Danny for getting a clean slate.
I guess we will see

The problem with the lebron lakers at this stage of his career, is Lebron

I actually think Hurley could do very well rebuilding around AD.

Not Lebron

August_West

Reaction Score
Lebron made one tweet about Hurley. Let's not go pretend it's anything more than that.

He's talked about him on pods a lot.

Reaction Score
I'm sure he does, but does Hurley like the idea of being told what is going to happen by LeBron and Bronny?

Not saying this is a non issue and there’s certainly times where that’s what happened but Hurley would probably be thinking look at spoelstra. He coached lebron for a few years got the best out of him and then stayed there post lebron and built that culture

Reaction Score
Might be a stupid ?, but what happens if this does happen (and I fear it will - when has Woj ever said “talks to intensify” and then it doesn’t happen? Rarely). I know the players have 30 days to transfer - what happens if they all leave? Do we even field a team that’s not all walk-ons next season? I’d HOPE Benedict is on the phone with every single donor right now and would hope Murray and/or Young stay, but I can see them going to LA with Hurley and then we have nobody.
We're basically screwed. Most portal players have already signed elsewhere and our guys are free to go wherever they want. If Luke becomes HC I can see enough guys staying to still have a good year but the worst case scenario puts us with no coaches and no players.

Reaction Score
Dan already has the best job in basketball, along with NC Duke KY Kansas, Lakers, Knicks, Celtics.

So he isn't chasing the better job or elite job. It is a different job with new and unique challenges.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom