Lakers preparing offer for Hurley | Page 153 | The Boneyard

Lakers preparing offer for Hurley

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
It actually did hurt their recruiting. But their player development and scouting was so incredible it didn’t matter. I think it’s @HuskyWarrior611 who is a big UM fan and I think he would agree.
Yeah for the caliber of program Michigan is we struggled to finish in the top 10 and get top 100 guys. The NFL and NIL were big reasons why. Both no longer being issues these days with Sheronne.

I could see us doing something similar with Hurley to Kimani, but if UConn steps up I don’t really see Hurley leaving this go round.

Reaction Score
Practice starts in 4 hours Dan. You gotta let these kids know before breakfast.
Those O'Brien potatoes in the dining hall go down hard enough as it is.
Practice doesn’t necessarily start in 4 hours.

They have a 12-4 block of time for practice but practice in the summer is only 1 hour within that window.

Reaction Score
It just dawned on me last night why so many people are saying “he’s gotta go, get the money, crazy opportunity, and if you flame out big deal you just go back to college basketball and coach any team you want!”. They’re all fans of teams not called UConn, so their best hope in the world is Hurley goes pro, UConn gets attached to a new coach, Hurley gets fired from LA and needs a new gig, and wow look at that! Kansas needs a new coach!
Conspiracy thinking at its best!! Where is the Kitty when you need her?

Reaction Score
It just dawned on me last night why so many people are saying “he’s gotta go, get the money, crazy opportunity, and if you flame out big deal you just go back to college basketball and coach any team you want!”. They’re all fans of teams not called UConn, so their best hope in the world is Hurley goes pro, UConn gets attached to a new coach, Hurley gets fired from LA and needs a new gig, and wow look at that! Kansas needs a new coach!
Hurley is way more deliberate than these people understand. He's not like Cal or many others who are comfortable jumping place to place when the opportunity presents itself. It's true he could have his pick of college jobs in 2 years if LA doesn't work out but that sequence of events seems so antithetical to everything I've learned about him in the last 5 years

huskidork

bailey
Reaction Score
I don't get this playing for LeBron thing? so you'll be playing with LeBron for maybe a year or two?

you have to think about this from the future of the Lakers, Hurley 2 years into his coaching career will be in the toughest conference with an awful roster that has no real assets outside of a likely disgruntled Davis.

Reaction Score
I don't get this playing for LeBron thing? so you'll be playing with LeBron for maybe a year or two?

you have to think about this from the future of the Lakers, Hurley 2 years into his coaching career will be in the toughest conference with an awful roster that has no real assets outside of a likely disgruntled Davis.
Exactly. It is not a great job. At all.

Reaction Score
Yeah maybe watch some NBA basketball beyond a part of a game where two teams shot a combined 25% from 3.

The Celtics’ ball movement is awesome.

Unfortunately, Hurley has watched a lot more NBA than you have.
They should be able to move the ball for Godsake but within the 24 not 35 second shot clock it’s completely different. I watched the Knicks Pacers and same deal. They spend their lives practicing making shots so they better make more than 25% but it’s a ton of breakdown moves and much less ball sharing. Are they skilled? Yup. Best in the world at hoop? Yup.
Is it as fun to watch as college? Nope. Not in my opinion.
Im sure Danny will someday take his shot at it but I just don’t see him having the same impact there as he could here. No way, unless he gets himself a Michael Jordan. He don’t need that at UConn.

Reaction Score
A few thoughts:
1.) I wonder how deeply engaged DH’s agent has been in discussions this weekend with the UConn AD. Are they (or are they not) talking about a revised deal, numbers etc? If it’s been radio silence from the Hurley camp - he’s gone.

2.) Hurley kinda always said to his players, if you’re a projected first rounder, stay in the draft, if not return. The lakers offer sounds like they’re making him the equivalent of a top 10 pick. We also don’t know what the numbers really are, maybe it’s more than $100m?

3.) Would Hurley, for negotiating leverage or marketing/recruiting purposes, keep the basketball world’s attention for 3 days just to announce he’s staying? Well, yes he potentially would.

Reaction Score
IMG_5040.jpeg

Are the Lakers a poverty franchise?

Reaction Score
Boomer Esiason on WFAN was driving me crazy on my drive to work. Sounded like he worked for the Lakers and money is too good to turn down. He was saying coaches don't like NIL and the portal. That's where he's wrong. That's the strategy of outsmarting the opponent that Hurley takes as a challenge. That's not really the NBA game. I wanted to jump through the radio. As someone who's heavily involved in Cystic Fibrosis charity activities due to his son, Boomer should understand better than anyone that making the most money doesn't bring happiness.

Reaction Score
A few thoughts:
1.) I wonder how deeply engaged DH’s agent has been in discussions this weekend with the UConn AD. Are they (or are they not) talking about a revised deal, numbers etc? If it’s been radio silence from the Hurley camp - he’s gone.

2.) Hurley kinda always said to his players, if you’re a projected first rounder, stay in the draft, if not return. The lakers offer sounds like they’re making him the equivalent of a top 10 pick. We also don’t know what the numbers really are, maybe it’s more than $100m?

3.) Would Hurley, for negotiating leverage or marketing/recruiting purposes, keep the basketball world’s attention for 3 days just to announce he’s staying? Well, yes he potentially would.
He has an agent who would be remiss not to, so yes he would try to get a better deal. BTW, I admire your sandwich.

Reaction Score
A few thoughts:

Why wouldn't he? This is a business and he's trying to get the best deal for him and his family. Obviously, he loves it here or he would've immediately taken the Lakers offer. I think some of us thought that would happen. It didn't. I would assume that his agent has been negotiating both sides as he should. That's the whole job. I have no issue with the way Hurley has handled this in the least. He was up front with the players about what was happening. He owes them that. And we are not privy, nor should we be, to what else has been said or not said. I would be really surprised if he has totally ghosted the players for the last 3-4 days. As far for us, he has already given us far more than we could have ever asked for. Our irrational love for the team, the coach, and the 3-peat scenario is causing people to lose their minds.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Boomer Esiason on WFAN was driving me crazy on my drive to work. Sounded like he worked for the Lakers and money is too good to turn down. He was saying coaches don't like NIL and the portal. That's where he's wrong. That's the strategy of outsmarting the opponent that Hurley takes as a challenge. That's not really the NBA game. I wanted to jump through the radio. As someone who's heavily involved in Cystic Fibrosis charity activities due to his son, Boomer should understand better than anyone that making the most money doesn't bring happiness.
I agree on the money issue, but Hurley has already expressed dissatisfaction with the portal and NIL. It's a grind for him.

Reaction Score
I agree on the money issue, but Hurley has already expressed dissatisfaction with the portal and NIL. It's a grind for him.
The NBA has free agency and star players that make multiples of what their coach makes. There are pros and cons with most anything.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Woke up today. With wood. Did a right side roll and dropped to my knees. Dog licked my face. Then, a two minute chat wit my Lord Saviour, .

That's all I got.

Off to toil today.

I think we rejoice today.

Reaction Score
I hope this is a money move. He gave up leverage when he said he wouldn't leave UConn for Kentucky. Contract was slow to develop. Not really competitive with Self and Squid. Possibly thought CT shorted him based on his loyalty. The NBA mention open a window for a better outcome.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom