Lakers preparing offer for Hurley | Page 124 | The Boneyard

Lakers preparing offer for Hurley

Reaction Score
I've got all the respect in the world for Hurley, but this is purely fan fiction. He knew no later than January of 2018 that he was taking the UConn job and seemed to lose focus coaching his Rhode Island team shortly thereafter.
Well then he lied in court when he was subpoenaed for the Ollie case. They asked him when the first contact with UConn was. He said in March. So either he lied in court or he or his agent had no contact with UConn but Hurley knew on his own no later than January that UConn was going to fire Ollie and he already had the job.

Ollie’s lawyer Jacques Parenteau said Sunday Hurley’s testimony will be “relevant to when the decision was made to fire Kevin Ollie.” Arbitration will begin next week, he added.

How did he lose focus that season at URI? His team got to the A-10 conference final and made the NCAA Tournament as an at-large 7 seed. At URI! The team was 26-8 after they beat Oklahoma and then lost to Duke in the NCAA Tournament. Pretty good for losing focus.

Reaction Score
He’s not going to say no until he hears UConn’s offer. Why would he destroy his leverage?
I would guess it will need to be more than just hearing…my guess is that there will be something much more significant. That takes time.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Genuinely curious here, how does this hurt UConn if he comes back? (Maybe that’s not what you’re saying either.)

Do you think this kind of turns into a Jim Harbaugh situation where we have to look over our shoulder at Hurley NBA offers every offseason?

Coming back is the best outcome possible for UConn, the staff, and the players. That doesn't mean the past few days won't have a negative affect on the team, and future recruiting.

I don't know what the long term answer will be. But Danny coming back is the best option. A very close second is he's gone, an assistant is promoted, and all players stay put.

Reaction Score
I don't know what the long term answer will be. But Danny coming back is the best option. A very close second is he's gone, an assistant is promoted, and all players stay put.
This is an absolutely insane take. UConn may or may not be fine if an assistant is promoted, but that is by no means a close second

Reaction Score

Wait....I may have lost respect for Fanta. Come on! Piano man????
I used to go see the Allman's every beacon theatre run and there is no way I'm going nuts over ramblin man.
It's like when the jimmy buffet margaritaville Sirius station plays "margaritaville". It's embarrassing.
Shame on you Fanta. This alone tells me so much about a man. Like the kids in the hall skit at the record store when Kevin says "the only song you WON'T like is love her madly.

Hey John. What kind of music do you listen to?

- I don't really have a favorite band. I just like individual songs. Gym class heroes are pretty cool though. I saw them at a state fair and the guitar player played so fast. It was pretty awesome.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Other than Zagoria saying that he thinks that we will find out today, is there any other real info that we will learn what Hurley is doing today? There is no meeting scheduled for today.

Reaction Score
Why would it be? There's no denying that this is kind of odd. No leaks, no decision, billy Joel concert, the karaban thing. It's just odd. It doesn't mean I don't love DH but it is strange
It's strange he's living his life?

It's strange he's using the most consequential time of his life career to at the very least promote his own brand after winning back to back national titles??

If I were Hurley I'd take the Lakers job just to spite these posts cause man some of you are delusional and miserable.

SteelCT

Student of the Game
Reaction Score
It's strange he's living his life?

It's strange he's using the most consequential time of his life career to at the very least promote his own brand after winning back to back national titles??

If I were Hurley I'd take the Lakers job just to spite these posts cause man some of you are delusional and miserable.
Delusional and miserable is why we are here. Misery loves company. Welcome to the Boneyard!

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Coming back is the best outcome possible for UConn, the staff, and the players. That doesn't mean the past few days won't have a negative affect on the team, and future recruiting.

I hope Hurley has been forthright about his aspirations to make this not a complete blindside to the players.

Agreed on the options too. If this were to happen I’d expect him to take Murray (to take the offense with him) and hope Kimani ends up as the guy to keep things together.

Reaction Score
Why would it be? There's no denying that this is kind of odd. No leaks, no decision, billy Joel concert, the karaban thing. It's just odd. It doesn't mean I don't love DH but it is strange
I really think it would be best for everyone to announce something today. It’s a huge decision but he’s had 48 hours to mull it over already. I really hope Danny doesn’t let this drag into tomorrow or beyond.

Reaction Score
Well then he lied in court when he was subpoenaed for the Ollie case. They asked him when the first contact with UConn was. He said in March. So either he lied in court or he or his agent had no contact with UConn but Hurley knew on his own no later than January that UConn was going to fire Ollie and he already had the job.

Ollie’s lawyer Jacques Parenteau said Sunday Hurley’s testimony will be “relevant to when the decision was made to fire Kevin Ollie.” Arbitration will begin next week, he added.

How did he lose focus that season at URI? His team got to the A-10 conference final and made the NCAA Tournament as an at-large 7 seed. At URI! The team was 26-8 after they beat Oklahoma and then lost to Duke in the NCAA Tournament. Pretty good for losing focus.
I'm sure it's true that there was no official contact until March 2018, just like I'm sure there was no official contact between St. John's and Kadary Richmond prior to him entering the portal. People talk to people and that's the way these marriages develop. I'm not ascribing anything to Hurley or UConn's behavior here that's not the norm. If you want to change jobs, this is how you have to do it.

I followed that Rhode Island team fairly closely. They were 21-3 in mid-February before dropping 5 of their final 10. It wasn't a bad season by any stretch, but not your typical Hurley team that played their best ball late. The 30-point home loss to St. Joe's in late February is the game that really sticks out to me as the red flag.

Again, I don't have a problem with the way Hurley has departed any of his prior jobs, and I don't have a problem with how he's leaving this one if that's in fact what he does. But I've watched fan bases go through a lot of these and it pretty much always follows the same script. The fact of the matter is that there is rarely a good way to leave a job in this business, particularly if the job you covet wasn't yet available when it would have been most convenient to everyone else.

Reaction Score
Other than Zagoria saying that he thinks that we will find out today, is there any other real info that we will learn what Hurley is doing today? There is no meeting scheduled for today.
Was wondering the same thing. But I think Woj alluded to the decision being made this weekend as well. Also would seem strange to go to practice Monday with no decision yet.

Reaction Score
To say what is patently obvious -- Danny is, and has been these past four days, leveraging his Laker's offer into his contract negotiation with UConn. That negotiation is ongoing and will not necessarily be resolved today or tomorrow. While such negotiation is ongoing, he is not putting life on pause; he is doing such things as attending a Billy Joel concert. Danny Hurley has every intention of staying at UConn. It would take some colossal miscalculation on the university's part to change this.

dingaling

“There’s no better feeling than winning.” K.Powers
Reaction Score
Just my take. The whole "promoting my brand thing" is kinda cheesy. For anybody.
Some people aspire to be rich and famous

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom