Lakers preparing offer for Hurley | Page 121 | The Boneyard

Lakers preparing offer for Hurley

swami7774

I know things.
Reaction Score
If he leaves I’m happy with 6 titles in 25 years.
Although, to quote Tom Brady quoting someone else(a college coach, I think), my favorite title is the NEXT one.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
about the only time a successful coach could leave without shredding his team would be early to mid season, with his top assistant taking over (and doing well).

College basketball has changed. The players are no longer just pawns for the coach. The players are getting paid, and they have their own agendas. College hoops, and college football, are going to become a lot more like the NBA and NFL where the coaches are more replaceable than the players.

Reaction Score
Two days ago, I was convinced he was leaving. Today, I’m convinced he’s staying. If he locked himself in his house for three days to mull over a move from URI to UConn, then there is no way he would go to a concert a day after meeting with the Lakers if he is leaving. That just does not seem like DH. I think he’a just back to business as usual and relaxing before practice on Monday. I think he did his due diligence for the Lakers because his agent insisted on it, and this whole week will give the team extra motivation for the three peat.

I think John Fanta’s a good guy, but he’ll need to check his “sources” if DH stays.

Reaction Score
Two days ago, I was convinced he was leaving. Today, I’m convinced he’s staying. If he locked himself in his house for three days to mull over a move from URI to UConn, then there is no way he would go to a concert a day after meeting with the Lakers if he is leaving. That just does not seem like DH. I think he’a just back to business as usual and relaxing before practice on Monday. I think he did his due diligence for the Lakers because his agent insisted on it, and this whole week will give the team extra motivation for the three peat.

I think John Fanta’s a good guy, but he’ll need to check his “sources” if DH stays.
Has Fanta said it’s done? His opinion is that he’s leaving but his sources didn’t say that for sure unless I missed something

swami7774

I know things.
Reaction Score
I suspect most reporters’ “sources” are what they read from other reporters. One big echo chamber.

Reaction Score
I’m in a hotel in Daytona Beach shores with 2 of my children ( until my wife can join us, she’s running our mobile electronics store in my absence) recovering from my second spinal fusion surgery in 18 months in a strange bed on some seriously strong pain meds and can’t sleep so everything is being magnified and not in the most positive way. But I have a 4x6 UConn flag flying proudly from our balcony to greet the gorgeous sunrise and for all the people on the beach to see and wait and hope for the best possible outcome for our favorite team, ( and my back/neck). .

My comment was insensitive. Wishing you all the best with your health and family.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I’m wearing my 2004 Dual Championships tee and listening to Only The Good Die Young with my lucky Huskies socks.

Feeling good, like I should. Feeling blessed, never stressed, got that sunshine on my Sunday best.
IMG_9581.jpeg

Reaction Score
if that meeting isn't happening how do we expect the news to come out? is it just going to leak after practice or something?
If it doesn't get leaked sooner, I'm guessing that UConn would announce that DH has signed a new contract.

Reaction Score
Has Fanta said it’s done? His opinion is that he’s leaving but his sources didn’t say that for sure unless I missed something
He has been more 50/50 vs. 75/25 lately. I just thought he was being a bit too definitive a couple of days ago that he had been likely contacted for weeks by the Lakers. It just seemed like he was possibly reaching a bit with not much info.

Reaction Score
Unless he’s not who he says he is.. I’m not saying he’s a fake but if in fact he does get up and leave right now like this, and literally nuke the entire UConn mens basketball program when there obviously will be other opportunities to leave for the NBA without the devastation that will ensue doing this right now that’s exactly what he will be . There’s no sugar coating this and hopefully this won’t become reality. The world has become a really strange place the last few years, Lots of things don’t make sense anymore and the decision to leave wouldn’t seem out of place. Got almost no sleep last night. Must’ve checked the internet dozens of times. JMHO

If he leaves, he'll just be the coach who happened to be here when UConn won 2 championships.

Reaction Score
Tbh, if anyone else follows the NBA, the fact that Shams was saying Reddick was almost a done deal is most assuring.

Woj has the big name, but it’s been clear for a while that his “bombs” are agendas. It’s typically Shams with the actual news.

Well, in this whole thing Woj’s connection is through Hurley’s agent.

Geno’s contract being complete is another layer. And although I disagree with some on this board (with clear contempt for women’s basketball) that think one prevented the other - it does suggest a timeline. Perhaps UConn was stalling, and Hurley needed to let UConn know he has options.

And we know he has NBA aspirations, and obviously when the Lakers call, you listen..and maybe while listening he does decide that this is right for him, or the Lakers make an offer that’s TOO good, and he has to take it.

But with Coach K advising the Lakers, and having the ability to help out two of his guys..and the Lakers having genuine interest in both…and given who was spilling what info…I truly believe this is far more about a contract negotiation, especially given his agent was upset with him after the Kentucky offer. I think it’s 75/25 we keep him

Reaction Score
I’m in a hotel in Daytona Beach shores with 2 of my children ( until my wife can join us, she’s running our mobile electronics store in my absence) recovering from my second spinal fusion surgery in 18 months in a strange bed on some seriously strong pain meds and can’t sleep so everything is being magnified and not in the most positive way. But I have a 4x6 UConn flag flying proudly from our balcony to greet the gorgeous sunrise and for all the people on the beach to see and wait and hope for the best possible outcome for our favorite team, ( and my back/neck). .
Hope you feel better/recover soon and well!

Reaction Score
College basketball has changed. The players are no longer just pawns for the coach. The players are getting paid, and they have their own agendas. College hoops, and college football, are going to become a lot more like the NBA and NFL where the coaches are more replaceable than the players.
especially once the players start getting paid more than the coaches

Reaction Score
BJ is Springsteen for theater kids, kind of disappointing Danny is there.
I agree. Perhaps this is the new normal, but not a great way to treat the players on Huskies team. They stayed and came to be a part of history and play for a great coach. If L.A. had offered 25 million would we be having this discussion. If so, then it could be said, DH wants to move on to coach at the next level, and it's not about the money. I find it similar to the RE situation. Losing a bit of disrespect for handling it this way for the athletes...DH has had to make tough calls his whole coaching life. This is a call that should have been made to his team quickly.....I may be alone in that thought, but old school thinking on my part....

Reaction Score
One thing we need to consider is that, celebs, coaches, team owners, billionaires , F up as much as we do. There is no guarantee that Dan is handling this the right/wrong way.
Elon Musk is one of the richest men alive and that dude is all over the map.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Tbh, if anyone else follows the NBA, the fact that Shams was saying Reddick was almost a done deal is most assuring.

Woj has the big name, but it’s been clear for a while that his “bombs” are agendas. It’s typically Shams with the actual news.

Well, in this whole thing Woj’s connection is through Hurley’s agent.

Geno’s contract being complete is another layer. And although I disagree with some on this board (with clear contempt for women’s basketball) that think one prevented the other - it does suggest a timeline. Perhaps UConn was stalling, and Hurley needed to let UConn know he has options.

And we know he has NBA aspirations, and obviously when the Lakers call, you listen..and maybe while listening he does decide that this is right for him, or the Lakers make an offer that’s TOO good, and he has to take it.

But with Coach K advising the Lakers, and having the ability to help out two of his guys..and the Lakers having genuine interest in both…and given who was spilling what info…I truly believe this is far more about a contract negotiation, especially given his agent was upset with him after the Kentucky offer. I think it’s 75/25 we keep him
Agree with everything here completely. He’ll never be hotter and the leverage he created with this Woj bomb is insane and doing this meeting. The University has no choice but to put all their chips on the table for him.

That agent is earning his commish.

Thought it was very interesting when Hurley said he wasn’t much of a business guy and letting his agent handle that part. He’s knocking it out the park currently. Hopefully it does end up being all one brilliant negotiation tactic.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom