Lakers preparing offer for Hurley | Page 118 | The Boneyard

Lakers preparing offer for Hurley

Reaction Score
I was reminded of something tonight. When Hurley was choosing between URI and UConn, he basically locked himself in his house for 3 days to mull it over. He’s out at a concert tonight, 24 hours after his meeting with the Lakers.

Took him 3 days for a 30 mile move west and a Blue Blood job. But it’s gonna take him less than 24 hours to pack his entire life up, move across the country, and leave behind a roster primed to 3-peat and plant his legacy as one of the greatest coaches of all time?
That’s just it. You have 1 shot to be mentioned in a sentence with John Wooden. 99.5% of people in your profession will never have that chance. You have everything in place to make a legitimate run. You don’t walk away from that. Danny himself says he is a student of the game. He knows what’s at stake. This has to be a flirtation. Whenever this run ends, and Danny then decides to leave I think almost all of us will be thrilled for him. I believe you leave the dance with those who you came. If you want, call the hotter chick tomorrow. Or when the time is right. Not now. Not with whats still in front of you.

Reaction Score
If that's the case, if Danny takes the Lakers' head coaching job, and a few players leave, and any other coaching staff defections, that will impact the program in further negative ways. What would that say about Danny's love for UConn. And those who stay, the students and fans who's hopes for a 3-peat will likely be dashed.

I realize when good coaches leave a program, there's usually collateral damage. There's always recruits who committed, and in the past, players were often not allowed to go to another program and be eligible to play that upcoming season. Now players can find another program, but ones they considered might not have an available ship to offer.

The situation and timing just doesn't feel right.
It would make his entire run here disingenuous. It’s the opposite of everything he has shown as a coach and person. It doesn’t make sense.

Reaction Score
Wow. You guys are in denial. At least twice in the past year he has stated he wants to coach in the NBA. He is 51 and also said he doesn’t see himself coaching well into his 60’s. If not now, when? This team loses 3 starters including 2 lottery picks. Not sure they are primed for a 3 peat.
No one is in denial. We all know Danny wants to coach in the NBA and this pursuit further proves that. IF not now, when? Try next offseason or in two years. Not in June following back to back titles with a top 3 team returning. In rhe next two years, many nba jobs will surface. Perhaps even the Knicks, Celtics and these same Lakers. Timing matters in life. Even if you take the right job at the wrong time can be a mistake. If Danny leaves now I am certain there will always be the question of doubt, of what if that haunt him. You can always go the nba. You can’t always coach for a three peat in college basketball.

Reaction Score
Billy Donovan missed the tournament the year before he left for the NBA. Beilein went to the Sweet 16. Stevens went to the 2nd round. I agree that a lot of this comes down to how confident Hurley is in his ability to continue to get NBA consideration if he does return to UConn, but if the NBA likes you they're still going to like you in a year, 3 peat or not.
Maybe that’s why he met with the Lakers. It’s foreshadowing. If anything, this week strengthens his position in the nba ranks. My guess is when the Knicks, Celtics, possibly the Bucks becomes available, Danny will probably be the first call.

Reaction Score
Or he promised his wife (and Luke Murray) he'd take her (and him) to see Billy Joel like 5 months ago when they got tickets because it's in that 3 month window where every waking minute isn't dedicated to basketball season and only half the day is madness.
If you make over 100 mil, Billy Joel can sing at your son’s wedding. Who wants to drive from the west Hartford area to NYC when you have to pack up your house.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
No one is in denial. We all know Danny wants to coach in the NBA and this pursuit further proves that. IF not now, when? Try next offseason or in two years. Not in June following back to back titles with a top 3 team returning. In rhe next two years, many nba jobs will surface. Perhaps even the Knicks, Celtics and these same Lakers. Timing matters in life. Even if you take the right job at the wrong time can be a mistake. If Danny leaves now I am certain there will always be the question of doubt, of what if that haunt him. You can always go the nba. You can’t always coach for a three peat in college basketball.

about the only time a successful coach could leave without shredding his team would be early to mid season, with his top assistant taking over (and doing well).

Reaction Score
What if a doctor told you that you'd die in 3 years (it's an analogy, let's hope not), would you rather:

• Live the absolute best life possible to it's fullest
  • Hide in your basement because of inevitability

I'd rather have 3 more insane years of a great time rather than forfeit that to stay safe and not deal with reality.
3 more insane years and 3 more years of 2 great assistants gaining more experience, at worst, would give one of those assistants even more logical cred to take over as head coach.

Or, those 3 insane years, would further solidify the program to be able to get a non -inhouse coach to come over to further the program legacy.

Though, conference alignment uncertainties and TV revenue would still hover unless there is some interim resolution.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I've got all the respect in the world for Hurley, but this is purely fan fiction. He knew no later than January of 2018 that he was taking the UConn job and seemed to lose focus coaching his Rhode Island team shortly thereafter.
Very impressed how you’re able to say the most incorrect things with such moronic confidence. The ignorance must be bliss

swami7774

I know things.
Reaction Score
Maybe that’s why he met with the Lakers. It’s foreshadowing. If anything, this week strengthens his position in the nba ranks. My guess is when the Knicks, Celtics, possibly the Bucks becomes available, Danny will probably be the first call.
The Celts job won’t open for a while if they close out Dallas(barring some unforeseen, Ime Udoka-type development).

Reaction Score
Or he promised his wife (and Luke Murray) he'd take her (and him) to see Billy Joel like 5 months ago when they got tickets because it's in that 3 month window where every waking minute isn't dedicated to basketball season and only half the day is madness.
If he’s about to tell his players today that he’s gone, Luke is not posting a video of them out having fun last night. Would be totally tone deaf.

Agree that the concert itself means nothing, but the posting does IMO

Reaction Score
Spent some time on the UK board. They have an entire thread dedicated to poaching Alex. Ugh.

Please stay Danny!!!!

Wouldn’t blame Alex for bolting if Hurley left. He should be furious. Hopefully not the case

Reaction Score
If he’s about to tell his players today that he’s gone, Luke is not posting a video of them out having fun last night. Would be totally tone deaf.

100%. Anyone with a brain and shred of dignity would not allow Luke to post that if he was about to rip the heart out of CT.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

Its borderline insane for Murray and Hurley to be on social media yucking it up to uptown girl while the guys sit in the dorms back in Storrs wondering if they have a coach tomorrow.

Only thing that could be more insane is if he's leaving after that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom