Lakers preparing offer for Hurley | Page 116 | The Boneyard

Lakers preparing offer for Hurley

Reaction Score
Took him 3 days for a 30 mile move west and a Blue Blood job. But it’s gonna take him less than 24 hours to pack his entire life up, move across the country, and leave behind a roster primed to 3-peat and plant his legacy as one of the greatest coaches of all time?

He was asleep in his bed at midnight, and according to you he was getting on a plane in six hours, yet everything he owned was hanging neatly in his closet and folded neatly in his footlocker. You were leaving for one day and you packed a bag and made three phone calls. Hurley was leaving for the rest of his life, and he hadn't called a soul and he hadn't packed a thing.

Hoopcrazee

Hoopcrazee
Reaction Score
Nothing about him choosing LA tomorrow fits the guy we’ve grown to know and love. No

Agree a 100%. Leaving without a solid succession plan that keeps the program strong shows you care and respect the program. If he chooses to leave now, bringing any if the assistant coaches with him, shows how little he cares about the program, players, students and fans. I think the window fir most if not all the players to go elsewhere has closed, and if not, then the program and fan base, after what was turning out to be another exciting season, takes such an abrupt 180.

The more I dissect this, the more wrong it seems. I've been a long time Husky and CBB fan, and as disappointed I've felt, heartbreaking tournament losses in the 90s, sans 99, losing out on recruits, impact injuries (AJ's AVM), Nadav not returning after the dream season, etc., none come close to what it will be like if Danny choose the Lakers. Okay, Nadav deciding not to return left a scar. :)
Think when a coach leaves, players have 30 days in which they can transfer out

Reaction Score
Danny Hurley never gave you any vows
No but he gave his vows to his players that he recruited & re-recruited 1 or 2 months ago to come play him for him next season..... those players (who also had other lucrative options) were all on the UConn campus Friday getting ready for next season and DH was on a plane to LA. If the players know he's coming back & this is a contract negotiation ploy then great, otherwise it's getting obnoxious in terms of a players standpoint.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Danny Hurley never gave you any vows
No, but recruiting McNeeley and Mahaney, helping Karaban make his decision, and stating he wanted to go for the 3-peat sure made me and many others believe he was going to do all he could to lead UConn toward that goal. Just considering leaving UConn at this time for the Lakers' head coaching job, kicks that to the curb IMO. If he decides to remain as UConn's HC, we'll all be relieved, but it gives me pause as to who Danny Hurley really is. That's just how I feel, and I'm sure I'm not alone.

With that said, I'm one who quickly moves on, extending grace to others. We're all flawed and deserve to be extended grace.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No, but recruiting McNeeley and Mahaney, helping Karaban make his decision, and stating he wanted to go for the 3-peat sure made me and many others believe he was going to do all he could to lead UConn that goal. Just considering leaving UConn at this time for the Lakers' head coaching job, kicks that to the curb IMO. If he decides to remain as UConn's HC, we'll all be relieved, but it gives me pause as to who Danny Hurley really is. That's just how I feel, and I'm sure I'm not alone.

With that said, I'm one who quickly moves on, extending grace to others. We're all flawed and deserve to be extended grace.
Spot on! Agree 100 percent!!

Reaction Score
Think when a coach leaves, players have 30 days in which they can transfer out
If that's the case, if Danny takes the Lakers' head coaching job, and a few players leave, and any other coaching staff defections, that will impact the program in further negative ways. What would that say about Danny's love for UConn. And those who stay, the students and fans who's hopes for a 3-peat will likely be dashed.

I realize when good coaches leave a program, there's usually collateral damage. There's always recruits who committed, and in the past, players were often not allowed to go to another program and be eligible to play that upcoming season. Now players can find another program, but ones they considered might not have an available ship to offer.

The situation and timing just doesn't feel right.

Reaction Score
Wow. You guys are in denial. At least twice in the past year he has stated he wants to coach in the NBA. He is 51 and also said he doesn’t see himself coaching well into his 60’s. If not now, when? This team loses 3 starters including 2 lottery picks. Not sure they are primed for a 3 peat.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Which song was he singing along with? "Moving Out" or "Say Goodbye to Hollywood"?
It looks to me like this is the last place he wants to be. They probably had this on the schedule and he had to fly back to make sure they made it to the concert.

Andrea on the other hand looks like she is having a great time.

Not that any of that means anything regarding what he has decided or where he is leaning etc.

I hope he stays.

But as predicted it has pretty much consumed the weekend.

I played poker tonight and believe it or not we did not talk about this at all. While we played we watched the hockey game, UFC fights thank goodness the Yankee game was blacked out locally.

So I am behind. I think I read that he may be making an announcement tomorrow.

But he is wearing a shirt that says New York, New York. Not the t-shirt someone moving to LA would be wearing or maybe nothing. But of course he knows everything he is doing is being scrutinized. So I could see him having fun with that and the media etc.

I hope that means hey dummies it’s New York that’s were I will coach in the NBA.

Reaction Score
Wow. You guys are in denial. At least twice in the past year he has stated he wants to coach in the NBA. He is 51 and also said he doesn’t see himself coaching well into his 60’s. If not now, when? This team loses 3 starters including 2 lottery picks. Not sure they are primed for a 3 peat.
Still sticking to that text you got huh.

Reaction Score

Billy Donovan missed the tournament the year before he left for the NBA. Beilein went to the Sweet 16. Stevens went to the 2nd round. I agree that a lot of this comes down to how confident Hurley is in his ability to continue to get NBA consideration if he does return to UConn, but if the NBA likes you they're still going to like you in a year, 3 peat or not.

Reaction Score
He was asleep in his bed at midnight, and according to you he was getting on a plane in six hours, yet everything he owned was hanging neatly in his closet and folded neatly in his footlocker. You were leaving for one day and you packed a bag and made three phone calls. Hurley was leaving for the rest of his life, and he hadn't called a soul and he hadn't packed a thing.
You can’t handle the truth.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
I no longer like Fanta at all. He is sounding kind of ridiculous. His agenda is pretty clear. Leverage whatever and as much as I can because I am perceived or have a significant inside position on what Danny is thinking. I mean is 50/50 a prediction. It’s like the Celts will win tomorrow maybe or maybe not.

Whichever way this goes Fanta is no longer someone I will follow in any way.

Honestly I thought he was a little weak b4 and did not get all the love, but I have watched enough of him now on podcasts etc that coupled with his zeal to scoop this story have pushed me over the edge.

Report something but not make it sound like he is leaving then say 50/50….holy cr*p for real….

Reaction Score
Everyone wringing their hands, beads of sweat dripping, mumbling to yourselves.. Relax, he's staying. DH would not risk blowing up UConn at this time. He may be crazy, but he's not stupid... Wembanyama will have to wait a few seasons for DH to deliver San Antonio a ring.

Reaction Score
By DOM AMORE | damore@courant.com | Hartford Courant
PUBLISHED: June 8, 2024 at 2:02 p.m. | UPDATED: June 8, 2024 at 3:05 p.m.

Last word

If Dan Hurley leaves, or has left by the time you read this, can’t fault him. It’s the Lakers and, tumultuous as that organization is, it’s insane money. But the timing and unfolding of this process was bizarre and unnecessarily egregious for UConn. If Hurley was LA’s No.1 target all along, this should have been resolved more than a month ago. Doesn’t matter who’s fault that is, UConn, and its current players, deserve better than to be left high and dry in June.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom