Lakers preparing offer for Hurley | Page 106 | The Boneyard

Lakers preparing offer for Hurley

Reaction Score
This makes sense and it’s not far removed so believeable. Unless someone can put a bug on Hurley it’s the best we’ve got right now.
I'm surprised someone hasn't been posted at Bradley since last night to scrutinize arriving passengers.

Reaction Score
If he does come back, we now know that it's only a matter of time until he goes to the NBA, so we better have a constantly updated succession plan in place.
Nailed it with this post. The AD whether that is Dave Benedict or someone else in the future need to keep an updated top 5 or top 10 coaching candidate list of replacements and needs to know their contract situations and other factors such as what appeals to these coaches or what they are seeking that they don't have at their current coaching gigs, etc.

Reaction Score
Nailed it with this post. The AD whether that is Dave Benedict or someone else in the future need to keep an updated top 5 or top 10 coaching candidate list of replacements and needs to know their contract situations and other factors such as what appeals to these coaches or what they are seeking that they don't have at their current coaching gigs, etc.
They have that, and they should always have that.

Reaction Score
I don’t really want a coach that wants to go to the NBA. I prefer a guy that knows he’s a college coach. I’m not saying I want Hurley to leave, I don’t. I’d just like him to come out and say that you can never say never, but UConn is the only job he wants. When you’ve got the Knicks, Nets, Sixers and Celtics all being potential destinations for him, that’s a lot of job openings over a few years. NBA coaches turnover like crazy, even when they do a good job. I don’t want a circus all the time.
I don't really want a coach that doesn't win NCAA Championships!

Reaction Score
I believe Hurley will stay because he is a moral and ethical dude whose sense of loyalty and commitment to the kids he has recruited and convinced to play here and stay here is greater than any urge to go to the NBA. Look at his dad who labored for years as a probation officer and coached part time developing so many kids into college players who got a degree and succeeded . You can’t match the satisfaction and pride which comes from such a labor of love. That is a heritage you don’t grow out of.

Reaction Score
Well the best coach in college basketball right now has NBA aspirations. It wouldn't matter if he was at Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, UNC, or any other college. He would want an NBA job.

Right now, uncertainty around NBA openings is the price of having the best coach and staff in the country. It has nothing to do with being a stepping stone.

I question the NBA aspirations if he returns, for this reason:
We must use our imagination at all times in life or else we will only believe what's right in front of us. (Plato's wall of the cave?) @Palatine

Supposing the reason he would want to coach in the NBA is not for money, but to prove that he can win at that level, which we all believe is the main motivation.
Right now, it actually seems easier to win at the NBA level than it does to win in the ncaa. The numerous back to back NBA finals winners proves that notion.
If he comes back and has more success and changes the landscape of cbb even further, then winning at the NBA level would pale in comparison.
Many have said that the NBA is still way more popular than Cbb, but I can see that changing. Look at wcbb and how that exploded.

Also, the story in basketball right now is the lakers job, not the finals. And it's not the story because it's the lakers but because of the superstar college coach who is way more famous right now than any coach in the NBA. If Reddick were up for the job no one would care. Danny Hurey and Caitlin Clark arguably had a bigger year than anyone in the NBA or the WNBA.

Reaction Score
It doesn’t though. Kansas and Bill Self will never have to worry about this. Every successful college coach goes through this probably once. But with Hurley this will probably be a yearly occurrence until he leaves
Self was close to taking the job with the Cavs, so was Izzo at one point. The Lakers almost had Coach K 20 years ago. If you consistently win at that level, people will call. I would rather a coach everyone wants, instead of a coach no will ever looks at.

If Hurley turns down the Lakers and Kentucky in a three month span, most won't bother to make a public overture for a while. If the Knicks call, that will be worth watching.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
jet lag

The longer it takes the more likely he's gone. He's lining up who to take, meeting with accountants and wealth management pros, real estate brokers, etc.

Turning down the offer only takes a press release.

That, or he needs to speak to the AD, and he's out of state.

The only thing for 100% certain is I have no idea what he's thinking.

Reaction Score
Betting that a similar opinion has already been made by now, but Hurley's decision is more complex than we all think. Would DH want Luke and Kimani to come along? Probably and the Lakers would accommodate this, BUT. It is not like Luke or Kimani are a pair of luggage that DH can just pick up and go. There are spouses involved, and many lives impacted, not just Dan's. Convincing a family of 6 is a lot harder than convincing a family of 2, for example. Of course, if it is just a money grab and loyalties take a back seat, then anything can happen. IMO.

Reaction Score
The longer it takes the more likely he's gone. He's lining up who to take, meeting with accountants and wealth management pros, real estate brokers, etc.

Or he’s finalizing a new contract with UConn…negotiating for better pay for his staff, better facilities etc. and planning for a press release/conference. No matter how it shakes out it’s going to take a couple days.

Reaction Score
Betting that a similar opinion has already been made by now, but Hurley's decision is more complex than we all think. Would DH want Luke and Kimani to come along? Probably and the Lakers would accommodate this, BUT. It is not like Luke or Kimani are a pair of luggage that DH can just pick up and go. There are spouses involved, and many lives impacted, not just Dan's. Convincing a family of 6 is a lot harder than convincing a family of 2, for example. Of course, if it is just a money grab and loyalties take a back seat, then anything can happen. IMO.
Not to mention that in that scenario, one of them might well be the primary continuity plan. And I highly doubt Danny would ask one of them to forego a top job here that would pay more than an assistant job there with less job security presumably.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score

Damn. This makes way too much disheartening sense to me.

Reaction Score
Damn. This makes way too much disheartening sense to me.
Pretty sure it could also easily be working something out with UConn he wouldn’t announce before either deal is set is stone. Woj said it could easily take till Sunday to decide if other way. Longer doesn’t automatically mean bad, in my head it may be good because things could easily be leaking by now.

Reaction Score
I don’t like the silence.

Initially I thought that him leaving without signing the deal was a positive. But the longer this goes……ughhh.
I am trying to convince myself that the ‘silence’ is because he and UConn are working on a new deal now to ensure that he stays and feels valued.

back2BE4us

The Carpenter will carpent.
Reaction Score
I don’t really want a coach that wants to go to the NBA. I prefer a guy that knows he’s a college coach. I’m not saying I want Hurley to leave, I don’t. I’d just like him to come out and say that you can never say never, but UConn is the only job he wants. When you’ve got the Knicks, Nets, Sixers and Celtics all being potential destinations for him, that’s a lot of job openings over a few years. NBA coaches turnover like crazy, even when they do a good job. I don’t want a circus all the time.
What if a doctor told you that you'd die in 3 years (it's an analogy, let's hope not), would you rather:

• Live the absolute best life possible to it's fullest
  • Hide in your basement because of inevitability

I'd rather have 3 more insane years of a great time rather than forfeit that to stay safe and not deal with reality.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score

But then again, I would expect a "signing with lakers" decision to be leaked and posted way more quickly than the reverse scenario.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom