Lakers preparing offer for Hurley | Page 105 | The Boneyard

Lakers preparing offer for Hurley

Reaction Score
I don’t really want a coach that wants to go to the NBA. I prefer a guy that knows he’s a college coach. I’m not saying I want Hurley to leave, I don’t. I’d just like him to come out and say that you can never say never, but UConn is the only job he wants. When you’ve got the Knicks, Nets, Sixers and Celtics all being potential destinations for him, that’s a lot of job openings over a few years. NBA coaches turnover like crazy, even when they do a good job. I don’t want a circus all the time.
When have we not had a coach with NBA aspirations? Perno? Certainly Calhoun had them

Reaction Score

Self's never devised a system even a quarter as innovative as what Hurley's had us playing out of the past ~60 games. NBA teams want Dan because of the success + system. That's the separator.
I guess the real question is how much is Dan and how much was Luke? To me, one of the more interesting hypotheticals is if Dan were to leave for the Lakers, would he take Luke?

huskidork

bailey
Reaction Score
I've been going kinda mad about this doesn't help that baseball ended the way it did, boneyard is surprisingly holding up well

Reaction Score
I've been going kinda mad about this doesn't help that baseball ended the way it did, boneyard is surprisingly holding up well
Man maybe I'm soft but I was so, so proud of the baseball team. To put together that kind of season and that kind of fight in a road elim game after the way the year started?

Nothing can take the shine off that. Those boys were fantastic.

Reaction Score
I don’t really want a coach that wants to go to the NBA. I prefer a guy that knows he’s a college coach. I’m not saying I want Hurley to leave, I don’t. I’d just like him to come out and say that you can never say never, but UConn is the only job he wants. When you’ve got the Knicks, Nets, Sixers and Celtics all being potential destinations for him, that’s a lot of job openings over a few years. NBA coaches turnover like crazy, even when they do a good job. I don’t want a circus all the time.
I would hope that every coach we hire has NBA aspirations (like the players) and becomes so successful at UConn that they get there. Win-Win.

huskidork

bailey
Reaction Score
Man maybe I'm soft but I was so, so proud of the baseball team. To put together that kind of season and that kind of fight in a road elim game after the way the year started?

Nothing can take the shine off that. Those boys were fantastic.
no same here, was very happy about the season overall too just always sucks to see your team lose

Reaction Score
Many of the legendary college coaches stay put. Dan is pushing into the highest echelon now. He’s either going to be a college legend or head to the NBA. My hope is that he chooses college just as Self, K, Calhoun, Smith, Williams and others did. He may not choose that path but a blue blood wants that kind of coach if possible. It strengthens the brand and it increases the prestige of the job.

Reaction Score
Scalabrine was right--it's not a great job. It's a rebuild, but ownership probably expects quick results; Anthony Davis wants to veto JJ Reddick; LeBron says he's hands-off, except on social media--oh, and except his son is going to be drafted second, and the first pick probably belongs to scouting director Jesse Buss; Magic and Coach K are consulting. Could be a nightmare.

awy

Reaction Score
you either win through resources or skill, and a program in uconn's position has to rely on skill. if a coach is good enough then the NBA will come for him, so by not wanting a coach good enough you really just don't want to compete at the highest level.

can't compare to kansas or the football schools, being really skilled at coaching is pretty much the only way.

Reaction Score
Okay absolutely unfiltered from X and probably wrong.

View attachment 101428

Take it with a grain of salt but.. my best friend knows a guy who's friends with Hurley. The guy said Hurley is staying- he realizes the Lakers aren't the right fit right now. Again, who knows, but we are all north jersey guys for what it's worth.
This makes sense and it’s not far removed so believeable. Unless someone can put a bug on Hurley it’s the best we’ve got right now.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
If DH comes back we can carve a mt. Rushmore into horsebarn hill of these 4 prophets and mojo legends

1. Your N.Jersey best friend's friend
2. @bjc42
3. THE GOAT Mike Gaultieri
4. @Dove for the early morning fist pump
Early morning? I'd wager that he pumps all hours of the day.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Why though? Why can't UConn be a destination rather than a stepping stone? This is one of the best jobs in all of basketball.
Well the best coach in college basketball right now has NBA aspirations. It wouldn't matter if he was at Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, UNC, or any other college. He would want an NBA job.

Right now, uncertainty around NBA openings is the price of having the best coach and staff in the country. It has nothing to do with being a stepping stone.

Reaction Score
I don’t like the silence.

Initially I thought that him leaving without signing the deal was a positive. But the longer this goes……ughhh.
Pretty sure it was planned for Sunday regardless. I feel like more things would be leaking if he was going to go there, but nothing has come out. Could be the complete opposite though

Reaction Score
you either win through resources or skill, and a program in uconn's position has to rely on skill. if a coach is good enough then the NBA will come for him, so by not wanting a coach good enough you really just don't want to compete at the highest level.

can't compare to kansas or the football schools, being really skilled at coaching is pretty much the only way.
Yeah. That’s not it at all. It’s about having the security in our coach that schools like UK, Kansas, Duke, and North Carolina have enjoyed over the years. Calhoun gave us that, I’d like Hurley to be one of those guys too.

I’m not being crazy about it. If he wants to be an NBA guy, fine. I just wish he’d be a college guy and set records for us. A coach that can say, “I’m the best coach in CBB and I have the best program” is going to recruit really, really well and do historic things. I hope he decides to do that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom