Lady Vols - 2012-13 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Lady Vols - 2012-13

Status
Not open for further replies.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Sweet 16 will likely be the best outcome to hope for but there are other more important issues on the table for the team and Pat.

I understand there are more important issues on the table for Summitt. But if there are more important issues for the team than on the court performance, they are in big trouble.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I understand there are more important issues on the table for Summitt. But if there are more important issues for the team than on the court performance, they are in big trouble.
True, but it is all none the less true, too.

Reaction Score
I have seen posts by Tennessee Fans saying that next years team will be better then this years team. I just don't see it. As bad as this years team was, they did make the elite eight. As others have posted, the best next years team can hope for is the sweet 16.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Another example: the 2004-05 Huskies. That team was pretty loaded with high school AAs. Junior class was the #1 recruiting class in the country and had played a key role in two NC teams. Freshman class was super talented as well: Mel, Ketia, Charde. But that team ended up barely in the top 10 and lost convincingly in the Sweet 16. Is it unreasonable to think the 2012-13 LVs could end up somewhere between the 2004-05 Huskies and 2008-09 LVs?

The 04-5 team was much more talented and experienced than the TN 12-13 team. And they suffered from the losses of their senior leader in Taurasi and Conlon. Of course, DT was irreplaceable, but they had a senior center and very good juniors coming back. It didn't matter.

In that respect, there is a similarity between the two teams. Losing Stricklen and Johnson are huge losses. Fortunately for Tennessee, they return their "starting" guards in Massingale and Simmons. That will help if those two can improve on how they played last season. But without their two go to players, it changes the dynamics of the team. Who do they look for in tough situations?

We continue to talk about the offense, but Tennessee was not a very good defensive team last year and without Baugh and Johnson, they will not be as good next year. They have a smallish backcourt and a weak post in Harrison. Physically, she reminded me of Michala Johnson. Burdick can be a nice offensive player, but her defense needs a lot of work. She is slow a foot.

Depending on the schedule, I can't see them doing better than 24-12.

I'll use Vanderbilt as an example. They split last year. In the game in Knoxville, Tennessee killed them. And in that game, Stricklen scored 20, Johnson 16/13 and Baugh 16/7. Vandy returns all their starters. I can't see Tennessee beating them.

There are other SEC teams that return more and played UT tough last year. Those teams will be salivating with a chance to beat Tennessee.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Every player coming back will be better? I just don't think that is realistic.

I can see them making the sweet 16. If they lose in the sweet 16, that means 36 games. So you are saying they will lose 6-16 games? Quite the range there.
I said better for example Williams is healthy. She will add a lot to the team next year. She is a better overall player. Last year she improved on defense. I know Burdick said after the season that she was going to work hard to get better. With her talent I think she will be very good next year.
I think Carter will have a very good freshman year. She can also play point. So for the first time in a few years there is debth at the point guard.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Burdick - improved could be the best player on the team.
Massengale - improved better she has the skills.
Harrison - improved she learned a lot from Johnson and Baugh.
Carter - going to be a star.
Spani - needs to stay healthy and will be fine.
Simmons - will be better.
Williams- will be healthy and better.
Graves - will help in the post.
Jones - will also help in post.
If there are no big injuries I see the team winning 20-30 games making atleast sweet 16.

I think Ariel is a (the?) big key for this team - this past year had its ups and downs for sure, but experiencing these kinds of things as a freshman can pay big dividends down the road. IMO she has the goods to be lot better and perform a lot better and really pull a team along. The jump from freshman to sophomore seasons is usually very telling for the great ones. I think she could surprise some folks....

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I think you're right, Ariel has to make next years Lady Vols team, her team and she has to become the leader both on and off the court.

I think Ariel is a (the?) big key for this team - this past year had its ups and downs for sure, but experiencing these kinds of things as a freshman can pay big dividends down the road. IMO she has the goods to be lot better and perform a lot better and really pull a team along. The jump from freshman to sophomore seasons is usually very telling for the great ones. I think she could surprise some folks....

Reaction Score
Burdick - improved could be the best player on the team.

This mystifies me. If she's that good, how did she have basically a 0 year?

Please don't say it's because she couldn't get on the floor behind Glory & SS. If she was _that_ good, they would've found room for her, particularly since they had made SS play multiple positions in the past. Or have GJ play center against smaller teams? And it wasn't like Burdick lit things up when she did come in.

And if you still want to make that argument, then how can she replace them after not even be able to sub for them?

U

UCONNfan1

This mystifies me. If she's that good, how did she have basically a 0 year?

Please don't say it's because she couldn't get on the floor behind Glory & SS. If she was _that_ good, they would've found room for her, particularly since they had made SS play multiple positions in the past. Or have GJ play center against smaller teams? And it wasn't like Burdick lit things up when she did come in.

And if you still want to make that argument, then how can she replace them after not even be able to sub for them?
the answer is two-fold. first, it's off season and it's a time for fans to fantasize and imagine a season full of hope and promise. second, it's homerism. we are guilty of it too. Heather had one good game in her career (maybe a few and i exaggerate) - her game against Griner 2 years back. but fans still frequently lament that Heather doesn't get much PT, and some couldn't get why she wasn't in ahead of Stokes.

i'm not saying all fans felt that way, but my point is Burdick probably had a few nice moments. she's certainly a solid player. just like Stokes is a solid player. but she's nowhere near the level of KML or Williams, for example. will she be solid? sure. a contributer? sure. a realistic replacement for Glory Johsnon? not even close.

fans can't really have it both ways. if Glory, Shekinna and Vicki were that great, seeing as they were all drafted, then the problems at Tennessee this past year were either coaching, other players not being good, the seniors not as good even tho they were all drafted, or some combo of that.

then again, it's the offseason and with no games to be played, fans can predict whatever they want.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
As for Burdick she had time when she played good. She has a nice stroke on her shot. She can shoot the mid range jumper. I saw her make some real sweet passes. She said that she is going to work hard in the off season to be better. I think it will show in her game and experience.

Reaction Score
Another example: the 2004-05 Huskies. That team was pretty loaded with high school AAs. Junior class was the #1 recruiting class in the country and had played a key role in two NC teams. Freshman class was super talented as well: Mel, Ketia, Charde. But that team ended up barely in the top 10 and lost convincingly in the Sweet 16. Is it unreasonable to think the 2012-13 LVs could end up somewhere between the 2004-05 Huskies and 2008-09 LVs?

If that's the question all we are debating is the tone. I expect them to get to the S16 just like the 04-05 Huskies with about as good a chance to go to the Elite 8 as pull another 1st round loss depending on how the season develops.

The 04-05 Huskies have a lot more in common with the last several Lady Vol teams than next season's Lady Vol team in my opinion. No qualify point guard and a ton of players suffering different injuries (Wolff coming off an ACL and not having played in two years, Jessica Moore coming back quick from an ACL suffered in April. Barbara Turner was banged up during the season and missed 4 games including some of the losses. Mel Thomas and Ketia Swanier both missed 4 games that year and Mel's had to play with the mask after she broke her nose. I'm probably missing others.

And Geno did a pretty good Pat Summitt impression that season complete with a freshman Charde Houston as his Meighan Simmons and banning his players from the locker room and making them do their own laundry. He played nine player rotation even into the NCAA tournament with all 9 players averaging at least 13 minutes per game, and a ton of different starting lineups and rotations.

Tennessee isn't as talented the last several years, but there is something to be said for players knowing where they stand on the team and their roles. Knowing who is going to be starting. Knowing exactly who the scorers are on the team and who needs to take shots. It typically does wonders for a basketball team. Giving a coach a deep roster full of players with overlapping skill sets and similar talent is typically like giving a director and unlimited budget. It creates the opportunity for greatness, but more than likely the result is going to be worse than if there was a tighter leash on the director. Even Geno doesn't handle the situation particularly well. When one of his teams underachieve he's typically dealing with that situation. There may be less talent at Tennessee, but it is enough talent to have a successful season given favorable conditions by their new standards (E8), and I see the lack of depth as more helpful than problematic if they can finally avoid major injuries this season, particularly since this team actually has its point guard situation figured out.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
If that's the question all we are debating is the tone. I expect them to get to the S16 just like the 04-05 Huskies with about as good a chance to go to the Elite 8 as pull another 1st round loss depending on how the season develops.

The 04-05 Huskies have a lot more in common with the last several Lady Vol teams than next season's Lady Vol team in my opinion. No qualify point guard and a ton of players suffering different injuries (Wolff coming off an ACL and not having played in two years, Jessica Moore coming back quick from an ACL suffered in April. Barbara Turner was banged up during the season and missed 4 games including some of the losses. Mel Thomas and Ketia Swanier both missed 4 games that year and Mel's had to play with the mask after she broke her nose. I'm probably missing others.

And Geno did a pretty good Pat Summitt impression that season complete with a freshman Charde Houston as his Meighan Simmons and banning his players from the locker room and making them do their own laundry. He played nine player rotation even into the NCAA tournament with all 9 players averaging at least 13 minutes per game, and a ton of different starting lineups and rotations.

Tennessee isn't as talented the last several years, but there is something to be said for players knowing where they stand on the team and their roles. Knowing who is going to be starting. Knowing exactly who the scorers are on the team and who needs to take shots. It typically does wonders for a basketball team. Giving a coach a deep roster full of players with overlapping skill sets and similar talent is typically like giving a director and unlimited budget. It creates the opportunity for greatness, but more than likely the result is going to be worse than if there was a tighter leash on the director. Even Geno doesn't handle the situation particularly well. When one of his teams underachieve he's typically dealing with that situation. There may be less talent at Tennessee, but it is enough talent to have a successful season given favorable conditions by their new standards (E8), and I see the lack of depth as more helpful than problematic if they can finally avoid major injuries this season, particularly since this team actually has its point guard situation figured out.

What is your opinion on the defensive capabilities of this team? They struggled recently covering the 3 point line, and being a smallish team, they could struggle to cover the post as well.

Reaction Score
To look at the TN recruiting situation a bit differently, I wonder how many of the players on the squad during the last four years (including the class that just graduated), would be at TN today if Pat were diagnosed 4 years ago. Which players if any, would have been likely to have selected a different program?

Reaction Score
To look at the TN recruiting situation a bit differently, I wonder how many of the players on the squad during the last four years (including the class that just graduated), would be at TN today if Pat were diagnosed 4 years ago. Which players if any, would have been likely to have selected a different program?

Any change in coach would bring a different mix of recruits. The same will surely happen when Geno leaves as well. There's no way to know whose choices would've been different.

Reaction Score

what is the purpose of that question? do you want people to say "no players don't like sick people and would have went to ND, UCONN or stanford? at this point in time, that is not really appropriate. IMHO

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
what is the purpose of that question? do you want people to say "no players don't like sick people and would have went to ND, UCONN or stanford? at this point in time, that is not really appropriate. IMHO

You may not like the question, but it's a valid one. Do people go to Tennessee to be coached by Pat or by the history that Pat created at Tennessee. I think we will find out starting with the 2013 class. Personally, I think they still get their share of top recruits.

Reaction Score
You may not like the question, but it's a valid one. Do people go to Tennessee to be coached by Pat or by the history that Pat created at Tennessee. I think we will find out starting with the 2013 class. Personally, I think they still get their share of top recruits.

you may find it "valid" but that does not mean it's approprate given her condition. if you want to talk recruits then fine, but to look back and lay an inference that players might regret playing at TN is nonsense. they have have said they would not change a thing. they are lady vols for life and that is a very very elite club to be in.

and if you are wondering what our new recruits think after she stepped down check out

http://espn.go.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/on-the-trail

these new ladies will forever be legends in Knoxville for standing by the program. i agree with you about one thing----there will be more talented recruits jumping on board. TN leads the nation in attendance year after year--elite 8 finish and all. recruits know that and us fans aren't going anywhere. if you aren't from TN you just don't understand the love for the lady vols. in fact, the "All in for Holly" shirts are being printed now....

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
you may find it "valid" but that does not mean it's approprate given her condition. if you want to talk recruits then fine, but to look back and lay an inference that players might regret playing at TN is nonsense. they have have said they would not change a thing. they are lady vols for life and that is a very very elite club to be in.

and if you are wondering what our new recruits think after she stepped down check out

http://espn.go.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/on-the-trail

these new ladies will forever be legends in Knoxville for standing by the program. i agree with you about one thing----there will be more talented recruits jumping on board. TN leads the nation in attendance year after year--elite 8 finish and all. recruits know that and us fans aren't going anywhere. if you aren't from TN you just don't understand the love for the lady vols. in fact, the "All in for Holly" shirts are being printed now....

There is nothing inappropriate about that question. It's a hypotheical question that you could have easily ignored if you didn't like it.

These new ladies will forever be legends? Please.....

You have to be from TN to understand the love a fanbase can have for a team? These same fans will be tearing into Holly like they did this season when she makes questionable substitutions again.

Reaction Score
There is nothing inappropriate about that question. It's a hypotheical question that you could have easily ignored if you didn't like it.

These new ladies will forever be legends? Please.....

You have to be from TN to understand the love a fanbase can have for a team? These same fans will be tearing into Holly like they did this season when she makes questionable substitutions again.

again your reading comprehension skills are lacking (and i say that in the most polite way)

by legends, i mean for standing by the program. the fact that you don't get it makes it even more clear that you yourself don't understand TN basketball (which is not a shocker, as you are not a fan of the LVs on the summitt or here)

JS

Reaction Score
again your reading comprehension skills are lacking (and i say that in the most polite way)
There is no polite way to say that. It's an insult.

And we're NOT gonna have another DD-Big O jib-jab session tonight.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score

Not by me.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score

by legends, i mean for standing by the program. the fact that you don't get it makes it even more clear that you yourself don't understand TN basketball (which is not a shocker, as you are not a fan of the LVs on the summitt or here)

I really did understand what you meant by legends. Not sure why you thought I didn't get it.

Reaction Score

that's preferred by me

Reaction Score
Given today's appointment, I don't know about the Lady Vols next year. Holly had her troubles coaching last year..... the fact that she is the coach now and not just de facto coach doesn't matter..... that coaching staff had better step up as a whole..... there is too much talent there to just be wasted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom