Kim Mulkey's Comments about Scandal | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Kim Mulkey's Comments about Scandal

Reaction Score
No coach likes other programs bad mouthing their school but I would have thought it would have been better to acknowledge the problems at Baylor and explain what has been done to prevent the same thing from ever happening again....................clearly not the way she does business

Reaction Score
So not only did the university treat women who reported sexual assault with contempt, the woman basketball coach also treats parents who worry about the wellbeing of their daughters at Baylor with contempt and disdain. Wasn't this the same coach who treated her gay star post player with contempt, telling her to shut up about her sexuality until after she graduates? Seems it was.

Milky says the scandal is over, but it's not. The university never had the legal consultants write a real report. All they did was release a short summary of findings. When the press and students began asking for the full report, it came out that there was no report. That in itself is another scandal.

Truly atrocious words, and truly atrocious actions.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
What an unfortunate and stupid thing to say.

If somebody’s around you and they ever say, ‘I will never send my daughter to Baylor,’ you knock them right in the face.”

[Pause for applause.]

“Because these kids are on this campus. I work here. My daughter went to school here. And it’s the best damn school in America.”

Mulkey explained her comments in the postgame press conference, saying she was tired of hearing the scandal discussed on a national stage by people not involved in the investigation who “don’t know what they’re talking about.” She said the scandal is over and she would send her daughter to the private Christian university, claiming the “problems we have at Baylor are no different than the problems at any other school in America
.”

UMMMM... I got news for you, Ms. Tacky Pantsuit... 52 sexual assaults in 4 years is a problem that is a LOT different than every other school in America. She outta get her facts straight before she spouts insanity like that.

ericsandiego, nailed it, agree completely.

I`m tempted to try and come up with something witty (well, I try) and sarcastic about what she said, but the situation is so serious and she is so far beyond the pale, would hardly be appropriate.

Reaction Score
..., telling her to shut up about her sexuality until after she graduates? Seems it Milky says the scandal is over, but it's not. The university never had the legal consultants write a real report. All they did was release a short summary of findings. When the press and students began asking for the full report, it came out that there was no report. That in itself is another scandal.

Truly atrocious words, and truly atrocious actions.
Actually there was a 'real' report. It came out about a month ago and is MUCH worse than the original summary. There is a big BY thread on it. The report was released right after Art Briles filed a wrongful termination suit. As soon as the report hit the press (1 day later) he withdrew his lawsuit. Briles will not work in the NCAA again for a long time, if ever. He was clearly complicit in rape cover-ups and victim blaming, and it is also now no secret why the University President (Kenneth Starr) and A.D. are gone.

The woman they subsequently hired to be their new Title IX Coordinator has already left, citing lack of cooperation from leadership. Even worse, key football boosters are STILL calling for Bryles to be rehired. One high-contributing $$ "rehire" guy was quoted as saying, "I was PROMISED a national championship!"

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I actually like Kim, unlike many of the posters here, but this is just a really, really, really bad look for her (yes that's three "reallys"). I realize she got a whoop and holler from the crowd on senior night, but not a good look to anyone seeing it from the outside.

I get that coaches by default are PR shills for their employers, and I get that she must be feeling that a protracted scandal like this will hinder her recruiting. But man, to appear to be minimizing the significance of sexual assault. Not good.

Reaction Score
Let's not forget she also will pull players scholarships and force them to transfer just because she gets lucky on the recruiting trail. It's one thing to recruit over someone with a scholarship you aren't already using and letting the palyer sit on the bench, get better, or transfer because they choose to, quite another to offer a recruit the scholarship off one of your players backs.

The university and it's athletic departments are disasters, and Kim fits right in.

Reaction Score
Actually there was a 'real' report. It came out about a month ago and is MUCH worse than the original summary. There is a big BY thread on it. The report was released right after Art Briles filed a wrongful termination suit. As soon as the report hit the press (1 day later) he withdrew his lawsuit. Briles will not work in the NCAA again for a long time, if ever. He was clearly complicit in rape cover-ups and victim blaming, and it is also now no secret why the University President (Kenneth Starr) and A.D. are gone.

The woman they subsequently hired to be their new Title IX Coordinator has already left, citing lack of cooperation from leadership. Even worse, key football boosters are STILL calling for Bryles to be rehired. One high-contributing $$ "rehire" guy was quoted as saying, "I was PROMISED a national championship!"

We might be talking about different reports. It was the Philadelphia law firm Pepper Hamilton that was originally tasked with writing the report. PH still hasn't issued a full report, according to this:

http://deadspin.com/baylors-sexual-assault-scandal-still-no-report-still-1788615031

Baylor's Sexual Assault Scandal: Still No Report, Still Few Answers

Emma Baccellieri
11/05/16 1:25pmFiled to: ART BRILES

"Pepper Hamilton, the law firm responsible for independently analyzing the scandal, released a brief “findings of fact” in May that failed to address most of the details or to reveal who knew what and when—despite head coach Art Briles and university president Ken Starr being given pink slips.

"With no comprehensive report available from the investigation, members of the Board of Regents have begun sharing slightly different perspectives on how the university handled the scandal, with members of Baylor’s football coaching staff and athletic department pushing back. And with so little information available to fact-check these perspectives, discerning the truth is difficult. The Dallas Morning News reported this week that the regents were briefed on the Pepper Hamilton investigation twice in the spring, and local news station KWTX has reported that no recordings exist of those briefings and Pepper Hamilton provided nothing in writing...."

I think there have been court filings and newspaper reports. Just saying that the law firm Pepper Hamilton, which is the go-to firm for universities wishing to sweep sexual assault scandals under the rug, does not appear to have written a real report on what happened at Baylor. It's coming out in drips and drabs in other ways.

But I may be behind the curve on this, and BY might be ahead of it.

Bottom line is that Baylor has treated women students miserably. So much for their Christian ethos.

Reaction Score
I actually like Kim, unlike many of the posters here, but this is just a really, really, really bad look for her (yes that's three "reallys"). I realize she got a whoop and holler from the crowd on senior night, but not a good look to anyone seeing it from the outside.

I get that coaches by default are PR shills for their employers, and I get that she must be feeling that a protracted scandal like this will hinder her recruiting. But man, to appear to be minimizing the significance of sexual assault. Not good.

I have to say that it is a horrible "look" for those on the "inside" as well. This is the sanctimonious Baptist school that claims it's different because of its religious doctrines. Yet basketball fans actually cheer Mulkey when she advocates hitting in the face any parents concerned about their daughters' safety at Baylor? Absolutely shameful.

I think that a UConn coach would have been forced to resign within 36 hours of making such an outrageous remark. But, of course, this is Connecticut.

Reaction Score
Baylor is the best university in America. Hey Kim, you should take a trip up to the northeast: we got Penn, Yale, Princeton, Harvard, MIT, Dartmouth, Cornell, Johns Hopkins, George Washington, Brown. LOL at these southern schools thinking they are even in the same universe.

Reaction Score
The best we can say for Kim's statement is that it's unfortunate. If I were a parent whose kid was considering Baylor (and that would NEVER happen, believe me, for several reasons, even before the rapes), I certainly would now do everything I could to ensure that my daughter did not go there. People who question the horrible behavior of students and then the cover-up -- especially the cover-up -- do not deserve to get one upside the head.,

Reaction Score
We might be talking about different reports. It was the Philadelphia law firm Pepper Hamilton that was originally tasked with writing the report. PH still hasn't issued a full report, according to this:

http://deadspin.com/baylors-sexual-assault-scandal-still-no-report-still-1788615031

Baylor's Sexual Assault Scandal: Still No Report, Still Few Answers

Emma Baccellieri
11/05/16 1:25pmFiled to: ART BRILES

"Pepper Hamilton, the law firm responsible for independently analyzing the scandal, released a brief “findings of fact” in May that failed to address most of the details or to reveal who knew what and when—despite head coach Art Briles and university president Ken Starr being given pink slips.

"With no comprehensive report available from the investigation, members of the Board of Regents have begun sharing slightly different perspectives on how the university handled the scandal, with members of Baylor’s football coaching staff and athletic department pushing back. And with so little information available to fact-check these perspectives, discerning the truth is difficult. The Dallas Morning News reported this week that the regents were briefed on the Pepper Hamilton investigation twice in the spring, and local news station KWTX has reported that no recordings exist of those briefings and Pepper Hamilton provided nothing in writing...."

I think there have been court filings and newspaper reports. Just saying that the law firm Pepper Hamilton, which is the go-to firm for universities wishing to sweep sexual assault scandals under the rug, does not appear to have written a real report on what happened at Baylor. It's coming out in drips and drabs in other ways.

But I may be behind the curve on this, and BY might be ahead of it.

Bottom line is that Baylor has treated women students miserably. So much for their Christian ethos.
Your article was from last November. Around Feb 1 Baylor released a bunch of new stuff Pepper had uncovered, as their response to Briles' wrongful termination on suit. He dropped his suit on Feb 3. The new info included numerous incriminating (and fantastical) text messages harvested off Briles' university-owned cell phone. Here is a very brief summary, but it only glosses the surface.

The Art Briles Texts Show the Baylor Scandal Is Worse Than We Thought

Reaction Score
Your article was from last November. Around Feb 1 Baylor released a bunch of new stuff Pepper had uncovered, as their response to Briles' wrongful ternate on suit. He dropped his suit on Feb 3. The new info included numerous incriminating (and fantastical) text messages harvested off Briles' university-owned cell phone. Here is a very brief summary, but it only glosses the surface.

The Art Briles Texts Show the Baylor Scandal Is Worse Than We Thought
Pepper? Do you mean Hamilton-Pepper? The same company that investigated the Sandusky thing at Penn State and did a terrible job? Hamilton-Pepper will pretty much rubber stamp whatever you want them to as long as you pay them enough money.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I know we have moved into the era where stupidity is confused with virtue, but whatever little respect I've had for Mulkey is evaporated. At any other school, she'd be risking contract termination. At Baylor, her hate-spew is an applause line. Really bad stuff from a coach who previously stayed out of the line of fire.

Reaction Score
Yesterday or the day before, in the Alexis Jones injury thread, I was gonna write that Kim always rubbed me the wrong way. I was also gonna say that I don't know why top players continue to want to play for her. I know they win, but I don't think it stays at this level that much longer. Even before I heard this news, I just could sense something isn't right there.

Reaction Score
Kim quite obviously has difficulties controlling her emotions. There is something beyond the simple consideration of being highly competitive that takes hold of her and makes her do or say unfortunate things. Most of the time these days, when she's faced with situations that would bring on her demons, she smiles. Obviously, she's practicing some sort of behavior modification, and it's admirable that she's been addressing it. The problem is that she has a really, really high stress job, in which there are situations and triggers that she just can't get on top of.

Similar demons ruined the career of one of the transcendently great coaches of all time--Bobby Knight. Kim is a long, long way from that, but she is edging into dangerous territory with this rhetoric and needs to be very careful. I hope she has friends and family who can be helpful to her in an honest way.

Reaction Score
Pepper? Do you mean Hamilton-Pepper? The same company that investigated the Sandusky thing at Penn State and did a terrible job? Hamilton-Pepper will pretty much rubber stamp whatever you want them to as long as you pay them enough money.
Yes that Pepper Hamilton and, yes, that appeared to be the plan. But, as evidenced by the stuff Baylor recently released, they did an exhaustively thorough job. They and Baylor just didn't release it publicly - until this month. The Pepper material Baylor itself finally released was extremely damning.

Reaction Score
I would bet that nothing will come of Mulkey's comments.........perhaps a few more players will find their way to Texas or Texas A&M but I suspect both Kim and Baylor aren't going anywhere

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Kim quite obviously has difficulties controlling her emotions. There is something beyond the simple consideration of being highly competitive that takes hold of her and makes her do or say unfortunate things. Most of the time these days, when she's faced with situations that would bring on her demons, she smiles. Obviously, she's practicing some sort of behavior modification, and it's admirable that she's been addressing it. The problem is that she has a really, really high stress job, in which there are situations and triggers that she just can't get on top of.

Similar demons ruined the career of one of the transcendently great coaches of all time--Bobby Knight. Kim is a long, long way from that, but she is edging into dangerous territory with this rhetoric and needs to be very careful. I hope she has friends and family who can be helpful to her in an honest way.
I agree. Somehow however I don't see a retraction coming from her end any time soon.

Reaction Score
Until now, I at least had respect for Kim's coaching. Now, however, I cannot see how anyone who said what she said could e seen as fit to serve as a leadership example for a women's college basketball team. I don't imagine there will be any enlightened Baylor women who protest Kim's words, but there should be.

Reaction Score
Kim is a good coach, but quite obviously a SHILL for Baylor.... 52 unreported sexual assaults.... and folks that is just attributable to the football team !! And what about suppressing B Griner and her sexuality.... hiding it publicly for her time there.... Baylor for all its preaching about being a God loving university, sure doesn't love abiding by the law

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom