Kim Mulkey's Comments about Scandal | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Kim Mulkey's Comments about Scandal

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Kim quite obviously has difficulties controlling her emotions. There is something beyond the simple consideration of being highly competitive that takes hold of her and makes her do or say unfortunate things. Most of the time these days, when she's faced with situations that would bring on her demons, she smiles. Obviously, she's practicing some sort of behavior modification, and it's admirable that she's been addressing it. The problem is that she has a really, really high stress job, in which there are situations and triggers that she just can't get on top of.

Similar demons ruined the career of one of the transcendently great coaches of all time--Bobby Knight. Kim is a long, long way from that, but she is edging into dangerous territory with this rhetoric and needs to be very careful. I hope she has friends and family who can be helpful to her in an honest way.

Nice post, my friend. Yours is a humane perspective.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I'd like to jump on the bandwagon and say so. But despite my personal thoughts on the presidency this is a cultural thing that has been building for some time, and the evidence is everywhere. Courtesy, thoughtfulness and gentility are disappearing. There is an idea that right is wrong and wrong is right in our culture. People no longer talk to each other but talk at each other. We have become less tolerant of faults in others and have become more self absorbed. The idea that all problems can be solved through anger and force has become part of our society. Kim is just echoing an attitude of might make right that prevails in our society. That dissent or any variation from your point of view should be squashed or is un-American.

Now that I'm finished you kids get the hell out of my yard, and I'm keeping the last two balls that I've found.
You go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And you are correct - this has been a long standing issue. And not at all isolated or specific to politics. If you want a dose of it, go read the Rutgers message board about CVS.

Reaction Score
I had gotten a kick out of Ms. Mulkeys shenanigans in the past. I had tried to give her the benefit of the doubt and guessed that Baylor 's homophobic treatment of Britney was an institutional issue beyond her control. This is so out of line its certifiable.

Kudos to Bags for taking a genuinely golden rule view of her situation, but I myself have to condemn her statements. She is acting reprehensibly.

Reaction Score
I actually like Kim, unlike many of the posters here, but this is just a really, really, really bad look for her (yes that's three "reallys"). I realize she got a whoop and holler from the crowd on senior night, but not a good look to anyone seeing it from the outside.

I get that coaches by default are PR shills for their employers, and I get that she must be feeling that a protracted scandal like this will hinder her recruiting. But man, to appear to be minimizing the significance of sexual assault. Not good.
That response from that crowd tells us a lot about that crowd doesn't it?

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Yeah great Kim; and if people persist in lending their voices against rape and violence, kill them. If their families complain, beat them up too. I'm with Coco here. My stance on Kim here is rapidly evolving.
"Devolving". Admirable she wanted to stick up for her school and even somewhat right that assaults and crimes occur at a all other major universities, however what is very off base is the level of crimes committed by a sports program, a major cover up executed by the coach and HER ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT and her comment to "punch them in the face" well I am just dumbfounded by her lack of a brain. As a person who also greatly respected her competitiveness and her contributions, I too am re-evaluating those sentiments. Just sad.

Reaction Score
The article was very interesting.

Most commentators felt that disparaging the entire state of Texas was somehow appropriate.

There are 28 Million people here spread out over 268,000 Square Miles.

The hate and vitriol spewing out of their mouths must make everyone who is disparaging Kim M, for trying to defend her school (Not that I agree with her choice of words, but I understand her passion), look very sick. Nice group to be part of. Hope you are proud.

If you have to hate Kim, Choose your words with care lest you show the extremely poor judgement shown by the commentators on this article. AND make Kim look like a saint in comparison.

I found the comments MUCH more offending than what Kim said. I very much hope that UConn fans were not a part of this group. If the rest of the country feels Texas is to blame for Baylor's actions and Kim's words, then I'd rather live in Texas, even with Baylor, than in any one of your states.

Ed: had to spell correct then, from than

Reaction Score

Most commentators felt that disparaging the entire state of Texas was somehow appropriate.

The hate and vitriol spewing out of their mouths must make everyone who is disparaging Kim M, for trying to defend her school (Not that I agree with her choice of words, but I understand her passion), look very sick. Nice group to be part of. Hope you are proud.

If you have to hate Kim, Choose your words with care lest you show the extremely poor judgement shown by the commentators on this article. AND make Kim look like a saint in comparison.

I found the comments MUCH more offending than what Kim said. I very much hope that UConn fans were not a part of this group. If the rest of the country feels Texas is to blame for Baylor's actions and Kim's words, then I'd rather live in Texas, even with Baylor, than in any one of your states.

Please read the comments on this board, where you are posting this reply. I didn't read single one that mentioned the State of Texas. I think the tone of all the posters was more than civil!

I google searched news on the issue and happily found the Dallas paper reported her statements and the overwhelming tone of comments there condemn Kim too!

Last edited:

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Not a matter of "choice of words" (although she does seem rather tone deaf), but rather the attitude expressed by Kim that is offensive. She either didn't read the report, didn't understand it, or is blind to its implications. Baylor is, of course, not the only university which has had incidents of rape, but it has had more than its share and its athletic department and administration have been unusually callous and dismissive of charges and much more eager to hush them up than the great majority of schools. This according the report commissioned by the university itself. And "most of the commenters did NOT hold the State of Texas nor the City of Waco responsible; that is horse hockey.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
http://deadspin.com/baylors-kim-mul...source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

Poor choice of words by Kim. Must be hearing from some Recruits and/or Families why they won't attend Baylor or send their kids to Baylor

I like Mulkey.. but this sounded like a recruiting pitch to me.. not a particularly wise one in light of everything going on with the football program. I think it was the tone and how she said it that threw people off.. not necessarily what she said.

FWIW, Baylor did have a few recruits on hand tonight for the big win, including NaLyssa Smith.

I don't think Mulkey really meant any harm (hardly anybody ever does, but still) by any of this, she's just pitching to recruit's parents.

Reaction Score

I found the comments MUCH more offending than what Kim said. I very much hope that UConn fans were not a part of this group. If the rest of the country feels Texas is to blame for Baylor's actions and Kim's words, then I'd rather live in Texas, even with Baylor, than in any one of your state

I don't believe anybody here is disparaging Texas or Texans, rather there seems to be a common theme.......Coach Mulkey not only chose her words poorly, she basically called for concerned parents to be chastised if not physically attacked, for questioning whether Baylor was a safe place for their daughters to attend college..........perhaps she should revisit her position as a coach and supposed role model for the young women at Baylor University

Reaction Score
I like Mulkey.. but this sounded like a recruiting pitch to me.. not a particularly wise one in light of everything going on with the football program. I think it was the tone and how she said it that threw people off.. not necessarily what she said.

FWIW, Baylor did have a few recruits on hand tonight for the big win, including NaLyssa Smith.

I don't think Mulkey really meant any harm (hardly anybody ever does, but still) by any of this, she's just pitching to recruit's parents.

there are too many other great programs around for the concerned parents of a recruit to have to worry about the issues at Baylor..........South Carolina being one of them............

Reaction Score
News to Coach Mulkey:
Baylor IS NOT THE BEST at anything, not on the bball court or academically.

Sorry, Yes, Baylor is running away with the lead in on campus sexual assaults.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I am missing the part where Coach Mulkey graciously thanked her seniors (and their parents) and paid tribute to them in accordance with established Senior Night tradition.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Wow! What a shocking take on the matter! If Ms. Mulkey is tired of hearing about Baylor's unconscionable stonewalling of the claims of dozens of sexual assault victims, imagine how those victims must now feel: terrorized, violated, ignored and now indirectly demonized, publicly, by a high-profile university official.

One more head needs to roll in the wake of the scandal at Baylor University.

I can't fathom how Kim Mulkey can be so profoundly (and publicly) tone deaf on this matter. She is attempting to redirect Baylor's WCBB fans' anger and shame toward the victims of the dozens of sexual assaults because they have made her recruiting difficult. Shame on her. Shame on Baylor if her rant - and attitude - is left unpunished.

Reaction Score
This is one of those articles that when you read it, you say to yourself "this is a joke right? She couldn't have said that? No way she could have said that?" Then you shake your head in disgust and think about the foolish choice of words that works at a university where sexual assaults against women were unpunished for a quite a while. Imagine how these women feel? Mulkey already delivered a "knock in the face" to these ladies.

Poor choice of words and poor choice of timing to use them. This was Senior Day/Night and he likes of Alexis Prince, Nina Davis, etc deserved a better speech for the four years they put in.

Reaction Score

Just to point out the obvious, the commenter base of Deadspin and its ilk (see Jezebel) hew to a far different philosophy than a site like the Yard, one where provocation and hyperbole aren't out of the norm.
Not the first and won't be the last such site and it cuts across the social spectrum.
Doesn't make it right but if you don't like the way they choose to do things, complain to the management there.

Reaction Score
Did Kim just take the spotlight away from the Senior Night festivities and made it about herself? If this did anything, it will deflect some attention away from Geno about some of his comments regarding Candice Wiggins!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
So after a very satisfying victory by the Huskies yesterday, I went out to dinner with my much better half, and look at what I missed.

The biggest problem I have with Kim's comments is that she took the spotlight away from her seniors on a day that belonged to them.

Her comments are boorish and ill-considered. She obviously feels some overwhelming need to defend Baylor, but why?

Here's my best guess. Recruiting is a very tough business. Many coaches will say almost anything to sway a recruit their way, and the terrible events at Baylor are fodder for any recruiter, particularly in the talent-rich lone star state.

I suspect that Kim is hearing negative comments from recruits and their families. Maybe she received some bad news right before the game. She also feels the pressure from Karen Aston and the Longhorns who are closing the gap fast on the bears.

So Kim did what Kim does. She had a knee jerk reaction that does nothing to deal with the very serious issues that Baylor must confront in order to repair all the damage that was done not only by those football players who committed sexual assaults, but also by an uncaring and obstructionist coaching staff and administration.

Reaction Score
When I first saw this thread title, I thought "Why is Kim commenting on Kerry Washington?"

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom