Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 840 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
Have been a student of realignment since 1981. Have understood the variables behind the decision making process until recently. Didn't always agree with the decisions, but saw the logic used(see Rutgers and BC). I cannot see what the heck some of these folks are thinking about any more. Nothing screams panic more that the Calford SMU add to the ACC. Yormark had the right idea with UConn, but knuckled under to some of the midwest schools. Somehow I believe we are going to end up OK, but for the life of me don't know how or why. Maybe have a bad case of CR Rule #1, similar to Stockholm Syndrome.

All you need to know about the ACC and how they feel about UConn is see that they added SMU. I want to be optimistic but UConn is extremely undesirable to other conferences. I don't see that changing...

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
All you need to know about the ACC and how they feel about UConn is see that they added SMU. I want to be optimistic but UConn is extremely undesirable to other conferences. I don't see that changing...
I don't know if we are "undesirable" so much as not desired. There's a difference.

I agree with you that the ACC has had plenty of chances to invite us and for various reasons has not done so. There would seem to be a need for a paradigm shift in order for that to change. The departure of the marquee programs from the ACC would seem to be such a change. of course, the question is whether we would want to join an ACC leftover conference. The answer to that will depend on 1) who is left, 2) what are they offering in terms of conference distributions and 3) whether anyone else to offer.

Reaction Score
SMU paid their way...

To make up for foregoing media rights revenue distribution for its first nine years in the conference, influential SMU donor David Miller was able to get $200 million in donation commitments from the school’s richest boosters, according to Yahoo Sports.

When Miller met with the top boosters to seal the move to the ACC, the combined net worth of the room was believed to be about $15 billion.

“It’s a couple hundred million dollars,” Miller said. “I’m not losing sleep over it.”

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
Georgia Tech has played in the Final since Syracuse last played in a Final..(GT lost to UConn). Syracuse won the NC in 2003 and then faded.
It's almost as if the fruit's success all hinged on one coach, something that was wrongly attributed to UConn who have won the men's BB championship with 3 different coaches since the fruit last tasted glory...how utterly ironic. Kick out the one hit wonders.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Adding to the board room come this summer

Because when you're not paying someone anything you don't care if they want to start a couple of months earlier?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Seems like there are three options here for ESPN.
1) battle it out in court to keep the current deal and never fold.
2) use the pending 2025 lookin as a means to amend the deal with an incentive laden extension that somehow steers more money to the ACC top dogs (the ACC would need to agree) and brings them closer or above the B12 (but well short of the SEC and B1G).
3) work with the ACC on a settlement formula to let schools walk and see what happens.

I wonder if #2 would be the cheapest....but it will never be enough to close the gap for FSU, Clemson or UNC.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Of note, Fluguar believes all but Miami are the target of SEC and/or B1G expansion. And the SEC's desires might be as much about blocking the B1G as anything else. So can an ACC that loses 6 teams still operate? Maybe, but better hope the B12 doesn't get a green light to expand too.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Of note, Fluguar believes all but Miami are the target of SEC and/or B1G expansion. And the SEC's desires might be as much about blocking the B1G as anything else. So can an ACC that loses 6 teams still operate? Maybe, but better hope the B12 doesn't get a green light to expand too.

The P4 lost Alston 9-0 at the Supreme Court, and are about to lose another huge antitrust lawsuit in House, and they are consolidating further? Really?

Reaction Score
SMU joins the ACC on July 1 because June 30 is the last day of a media rights year for The American (and most conferences).

The current PAC-12 media rights has a final date of August 1. Therefore, none of the PAC-12 schools can move until August 2.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Adding to the board room come this summer

I think it’s because that when the PAC’s official start of the 2024-2025 season. If they left earlier, they would technically be leaving before their current contract ends.

Reaction Score
Seems like there are three options here for ESPN.
1) battle it out in court to keep the current deal and never fold.
2) use the pending 2025 lookin as a means to amend the deal with an incentive laden extension that somehow steers more money to the ACC top dogs (the ACC would need to agree) and brings them closer or above the B12 (but well short of the SEC and B1G).
3) work with the ACC on a settlement formula to let schools walk and see what happens.

I wonder if #2 would be the cheapest....but it will never be enough to close the gap for FSU, Clemson or UNC.

Pretty sure th ACC already makes more than the B12 due to the ACC network

Reaction Score

Looks like Benedict is stuck in storrs with us!
I know this is the boneyard and I'm biased but I'd take his $1M salary (or just shy of it) living in CT with all the success the AD has had over living in Tempe making $1.2M or whatever their best offer might have been. ASU athletics are so mid.

Reaction Score
I know this is the boneyard and I'm biased but I'd take his $1M salary (or just shy of it) living in CT with all the success the AD has had over living in Tempe making $1.2M or whatever their best offer might have been. ASU athletics are so mid.
well, stable job and stable living might beat out home but an unstable future

Reaction Score
B

12 has the most to gain relatively with programs like Miami, NCSt, VT and GT likely becoming available. They'll definitely be involved.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom