Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 751 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
Is that not the same thing? They could’ve easily went out and paid more money for better coaches. But they were lazy and cheap and the results speak for themselves. I’m sorry but this is mostly our own doing.

I’ve said before and I’ll say it again. You can be bad at sports but you can’t be a national joke. And that’s what UConn football was for almost a decade. And that’s why SMU - which isn’t what we’d call a powerhouse - now has a P4 home and we don’t.
So you're saying we could've convinced a $5m a year head coach to come to coach UConn football? I don't think so.

SMU got into the ACC because of their location/market, not their coaches or on field performance over the past 10 years.

Reaction Score
So you're saying we could've convinced a $5m a year head coach to come to coach UConn football? I don't think so.

SMU got into the ACC because of their location/market, not their coaches or on field performance over the past 10 years.
Edsall on his contract was the worst of all worlds. Not cheap compared to much better MAC coaches like Leipold at Buffalo at the time, and those stupid incentives made us a weekly punchline. Its about finding the 3 million dollar year coach before he commands that type of money. We sucked at it.

Reaction Score

Idk but here’s a list of our old conference mates who have managed to make it work on the same exact TV payout

• SMU
  • UCF
  • Cincinnati
  • Houston
  • Tulane

Reaction Score
Edsall on his contract was the worst of all worlds. Not cheap compared to much better MAC coaches like Leipold at Buffalo at the time, and those stupid incentives made us a weekly punchline. Its about finding the 3 million dollar year coach before he commands that type of money. We sucked at it.
Correct - we made 3 bad hires in a row (an old and busted PP, a whacko BD, and a quiet quitter RE2).

Reaction Score
Idk but here’s a list of our old conference mates who have managed to make it work on the same exact TV payout

• SMU
  • UCF
  • Cincinnati
  • Houston
  • Tulane
Yup, programs with better coaches as compared to our poor ones before Mora came on board and in bigger markets/better recruiting areas. We're going to have to punch above our weight class like we did with RE1 and I think Mora can do that.

Reaction Score
I do know that, but awareness of universities nationally is largely due to sports. I doubt most people are aware whether these state schools are strong academically, outside of Virginia, Michigan and Cal-Berkeley.

UB occupies that same space as some of the Cals which don't play bigtime sports, but are top public universities just the same. They are the same age as well, 1950s.
California has Cal Berkeley & UCLA which are well known for academics and athletics. The rest of the California system is probably also very well known. NY has Buffalo and Stone Brook which are the flagships but not known for athletics at all.

Reaction Score
Cal has a lot of connections and the opportunity to rub elbows with Cal's academic side makes other university presidents, you know the folks making these decisions, pitch a tent.

Virginia Tech Alumni here. It was reported on VT message boards that President Sands, who attended Cal-Berkeley, voted for expansion over the recommendation from the Athletic Department to vote “No To Expansion”.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Keep up…the ACC just invited Cal and Stanford.
Don't think he was referring to the ACC where I feel there are more universities that can align with the West coast liberal views. I think he meant more the Big 12 and their current realignment.

Reaction Score
The big 12 is just a bad fit Geographically and culturally for us.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Yeah. Essentially, the schools don’t own their rights. They gave possession of them away.

I am sure there is a way to get out of it. But it gonna be costly.

You can't unsell something that you already sold. Can you sell a house, and then see that the market for the house went up, and unsell the house and sell it again?

pj

Reaction Score

• SMU
  • UCF
  • Cincinnati
  • Houston
  • Tulane

We're able to pay a $5M/year basketball coach, we could pay a $5M/year football coach too if there was a will to do it (and a will by backers to fund it).

Reaction Score
We're able to pay a $5M/year basketball coach, we could pay a $5M/year football coach too if there was a will to do it (and a will by backers to fund it).
We pay our WOMENS basketball coach comparable to what we pay Mora. You can say what you want about our success with Geno but I promise that’s the type of thing that shows the admins at TCU, Clemson, FSU, etc. that we truly do not care about what matters most to them. Another reason we’re never getting in and need to look at other options til 2036.

Reaction Score
The acc Adding these three schools makes no sense to me… they had a pretty good geography fit..now they don’t…uconn would have been the best school for them to add… there must be some kind of problem with some of the schools in the acc and uconn

Reaction Score
California has Cal Berkeley & UCLA which are well known for academics and athletics. The rest of the California system is probably also very well known. NY has Buffalo and Stone Brook which are the flagships but not known for athletics at all.
Believe or not, Binghamton is 10x the school Stony Brook is. I would send my kids to Geneseo or Purchase even, Albany too before Stony Brook. SB is excellent for business and finance. But liberal arts, humanities and sciences leave a lot to be desired compared to several other SUNYs.

Some of those Cals are excellent schools, esp. San Diego, Irvine and Davis. They have excellent reputations. Santa Cruz and Santa Barbara are pretty good too.

Reaction Score
I thought you were a lawyer.

Just walking out is not how contracts work, unless the leadership of FSU wants to personally be liable for the violations of the agreement and also risk jail time.
Please explain how an institution breaching a contract gets officers of the institution jail time. I’ll have to immediately advise all my clients.

Reaction Score
Not only cheaper, but this move likely makes it more legally plausible.

I'm not a lawyer so perhaps you can add more, but wouldn't this move give them the cover to say the league made moves against the best interest of the group and therefore the GOR should be nullified...or something to that effect?
No. You have the terms of the contract and then the much more limited implied covenant of good faith and fair dealing, which is nowhere near implicated by expansion.

Reaction Score
I think the StanCal/ SMU gambit is a mistake. That makes me worry about the acc. I would just as soon go big 12. No super teams there, but good solid programs.
Agreed - the ACC was able euchre a deal with these desperate schools so the additional money will soften the blow to existing, underperforming members who have agreed to an unequal distribution in favor of the better performers. The ACC still has serious systemic problems. This deal buys them time, but ultimately the SEC and BIG wannabes will leave.

Reaction Score
Agreed - the ACC was able euchre a deal with these desperate schools so the additional money will soften the blow to existing, underperforming members who have agreed to an unequal distribution in favor of the better performers. The ACC still has serious systemic problems. This deal buys them time, but ultimately the SEC and BIG wannabes will leave.
Yep, this new ACC configuration is fundamentally a short-term arrangement pending the next wave of realignment. It might be the case that when things shake loose again, whatever is left of the ACC (if that's still a thing) is actually more stable and a much better fit geographically for UConn than the Big 12, with the top-tier football schools and the Pacific contingent having departed. It's hard to project because of the way revenue models are evolving, as consolidation might mean three 24-team conferences or some such arrangement. It also might involve streaming contracts with new groups of contractually-affiliated schools. The current alignment does favor the Big 12, though, in terms of a stable lineup of universities, and it's probably more likely to stay intact and add a few members rather than being picked clean.

Reaction Score
The acc Adding these three schools makes no sense to me… they had a pretty good geography fit..now they don’t…uconn would have been the best school for them to add… there must be some kind of problem with some of the schools in the acc and uconn
ESPN pulled all of the strings to make this happen IMO.

The move was orchestrated by ESPN to finish off the PAC and devalue them to G5 status, it also puts a band aid on ESPN's ACC problem by funneling more money to the top ACC teams. No doubt in my mind that the B12 would have offered Cal/ Stanford if ESPN financed it for them but clearly ESPN did not because they wanted the money to go to the ACC.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Believe or not, Binghamton is 10x the school Stony Brook is. I would send my kids to Geneseo or Purchase even, Albany too before Stony Brook. SB is excellent for business and finance. But liberal arts, humanities and sciences leave a lot to be desired compared to several other SUNYs.

Some of those Cals are excellent schools, esp. San Diego, Irvine and Davis. They have excellent reputations. Santa Cruz and Santa Barbara are pretty good too.
I'm no expert on the SUNY system but Stony Brook shares the designation of flagship and is AAU. Much better bang for the buck than South Canada SU. I guess my original point about SUNY is that the northeast schools were designed to be regional. If the 4 main SUNY schools were 1, it would have a $1 billion plus endowment with 95k students. Just Buffalo and Stony Brook combined would be greater than $1 billion and 60k students. That's B1G.

All the University of California's are AAU except for Merced and San Fran. Riverside was just admitted this year.

"Eight of UC's ten campuses (Berkeley, UC Davis, UCI, UCLA, UC Riverside, UCSD, UC Santa Barbara, and UC Santa Cruz) are members of the Association of American Universities (AAU)"

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Please explain how an institution breaching a contract gets officers of the institution jail time. I’ll have to immediately advise all my clients.

For example, if your clients sold their company, then tried to unsell it, knowing full well that they were deliberately breaching the sale agreement, the buyers could A) go to both local and federal law enforcement to make them aware that by your clients’ own assertion, they are claiming to have fraudulently sold their company (how else would they argue it was still theirs?), and were attempting to steal back the company they had sold. Then B) the buyers could go after the sellers’ lawyers who were clearly part of a conspiracy to defraud the buyers. The buyers would want sellers counsel sanctioned and have attorney client privilege waived given the conspiracy.

And if the sellers were part of a bigger organization, you can bet their bosses would want nothing to do with such an idiotic scheme, and there is a good chance that the bosses would cooperate with any criminal investigation into the idiots and their lawyers in return for immunity.

It wouldn’t be the first time a bunch of unethical idiots and their crackpot attorneys got themselves in serious trouble trying to play with the big boys.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom