Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 746 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
If we end up in the AAC as football only then its probably safe to say our last conversations with the B12 and ACC were not very positive....ie - they offered no path.
Are you kidding? Look at the last rounds of realignment. AAC schools UCF, Cincy, and SMU got seats. It almost looks like it's better to be in the AAC than not. Lol. I kid, kinda

Reaction Score
I wouldn't have a problem with it. Football sucks compared to what it was. All my favorite players were the guys who hit the hardest LT, Steve Atwater, John Lynch... They've basically legislated out the way those guys played and it's lost a lot of appeal for me.

The sport has already gone significantly more poor inner city and regional, it is getting more and more like boxing in terms of who plays. I don't know what Gen Z is into other than hanging out by themselves.
It's funny you bring up boxing because I wouldn't be surprised if sometime in the next decade or two they put weight limits on positions. It would solve a lot of the injury issues imo

Reaction Score
I wouldn't go without some kind of northern partner

Why? Travel isn't an issue when it is 4 road games per year. We're already traveling all over the country as an independent. Temple would be our northern rival.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I'll be honest, and I said this awhile back, our home conference slate is so poor the next few years that joining the AAC for FB only wouldn't hurt our schedule. In fact, the idea of Temple or USF might be more interesting than Georgia St and some other random schools.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Referring to basketball in a realignment thread is just silly. Almost no one but us cares.

I can't tell if you are trolling or deliberately trying to give the most boomer answer possible every time you post on realignment.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
UConn never took fundraising seriously until recently. It never made sense to me but we should sail past those schools soon in endowment.

There’s a lot of things that we did not take seriously and still do not take seriously. Our endowment was one of them. (We’re not sailing past them any time soon.) Our athletic facilities were another. Football was yet another.

We acted like we were Rhode Island or New Hampshire for way, way too long and it’s killed us.

Realignment was a contact sport and we never treated it like that - Cincy did, Houston did, UCF did, SMU did, BC did, Miami did, UL did, Rutgers did. Syracuse and Pitt didn’t, but they didn’t have to because they were good in 1950 and that somehow was enough.

A lot of really weird crap had to happen to put us in this spot, but we absolutely did not help ourselves in any fashion.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I'll be honest, and I said this awhile back, our home conference slate is so poor the next few years that joining the AAC for FB only wouldn't hurt our schedule. In fact, the idea of Temple or USF might be more interesting than Georgia St and some other random schools.

It definitely would not hurt us.

We also need revenue from somewhere.

Reaction Score
UConn has to raise $1B for the endowment over the next five years. We are so close to New York City with all of its billionaires and there are many wealthy people in southwestern CT. We can get there if we ask properly and prove our case.
There’s a lot of things that we did not take seriously and still do not take seriously. Our endowment was one of them. (We’re not sailing past them any time soon.) Our athletic facilities were another. Football was yet another.

We acted like we were Rhode Island or New Hampshire for way, way too long and it’s killed us.

Realignment was a contact sport and we never treated it like that - Cincy did, Houston did, UCF did, SMU did, BC did, Miami did, UL did, Rutgers did. Syracuse and Pitt didn’t, but they didn’t have to because they were good in 1950 and that somehow was enough.

A lot of really weird crap had to happen to put us in this spot, but we absolutely did not help ourselves in any fashion.

Reaction Score
Football only and we will do a bball series with FAU and Memphis and a women’s bball with Usf.

and the main selling point is ESPN would be able to put us behind their paywall. ESPN will decide who gets added to the AAC not Mike Aresco.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Hold on. When UConn did play rough, half this board, including you, lost your spit.

UConn's problem was geography. BCU convinced the ACC that it owned New England, and Syracuse convinced the ACC that they owned New York. Neither school will ever allow us in the ACC as a result, and that pretty much puts a stake in us with the ACC, which was always the most likely destination.

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
Why? Travel isn't an issue when it is 4 road games per year. We're already traveling all over the country as an independent. Temple would be our northern rival.
I guess. It was an interest issue but I guess I could talk myself back into Temple and USF

Reaction Score
I say this again - what is the logical path forward for our football team?

In my head it’s (disgustingly) maybe beg the AAC to come back for a few years til we build up enough goodwill to maybe get into the BIG XII or remnants of post-dissolution ACC. It’s not ideal but being an independent isn’t doing us any favors financially, scheduling-wise, or bowl-game wise.

Reaction Score

In my head it’s (disgustingly) maybe beg the AAC to come back for a few years til we build up enough goodwill to maybe get into the BIG XII or remnants of post-dissolution ACC. It’s not ideal but being an independent isn’t doing us any favors financially, scheduling-wise, or bowl-game wise.
football is done unless some unexpected realignment happens in the next year or two, or FSU goes full crazy and tries to leave the ACC extra early

Reaction Score
football is done unless some unexpected realignment happens in the next year or two, or FSU goes full crazy and tries to leave the ACC extra early
That’s what I’m terrified of. But that being said, every non P-5 school isn’t giving up their programs. ECU, Tulane etc. aren’t just cutting them. We need figure out the next best non p5 option.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Aren't you a lawyer? Why do you keep repeating the "FSU leaves the ACC" absurdity?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

This strategy has worked great for the last 20 years.

Reaction Score
It's funny you bring up boxing because I wouldn't be surprised if sometime in the next decade or two they put weight limits on positions. It would solve a lot of the injury issues imo
This is Sprint football.

Reaction Score
Aren't you a lawyer? Why do you keep repeating the "FSU leaves the ACC" absurdity?
no, not a lawyer.

I said if they go full crazy. They very well could attempt to leave even if they technically can't. Some of these football schools live on a different planet.

Reaction Score
This move solidified the end of the ACC. UConn's best move right now is to not make a bad knee-jerk move to a G5 conference and stand pat for the remnants of the impending ACC dissolution or pick up a future B12 invite.

It is unconscionable how stupid the ACC is to have added these three against the objections of their three biggest brands. There's no way this further solidifies the ACC GOR, if anything it provides those three more loopholes to get out of it. Remember when the Big East added SDSU and Boise? This is basically that, the beginning of the end.

Reaction Score
This is Sprint football.
It'll never get as extreme as sprint football. I'm thinking more like

300lbs for interior O-line & D-line

250lbs for DE/TE

225 for LB, RB and QB

190 for DB, WR

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics