Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 683 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
This allows only current members to choose the expansion schools. They just added 4 western teams who will have 25% of the votes. I can’t see them adding any more western schools since the existing schools would be handing over too much power. If ACC gor holds up and the acc doesn’t implode by December, UConn has a pretty good shot at one of the big 12’s 17 or 18 spots
Having FB coming out of the gates strong this season record-wise and attendance-wise (we HAVE to pack the Rent!!!) would obviously be a good thing and maybe just once with regards to conference alignment we'll have a well-timed on-field/on-court line of success.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Okay let’s discount the words of one of the 4 strategic leaders who matter at this point.

You have your head in the sand. And I get it, because you said it yourself, in that reality you’re screwed.

We can either pay attention to the countless articles about the big 12’s interest in gonzaga, a
Basketball only asset, or we ignore that basketball is entering the picture now that the football race is over.

But its all nonsense because Cooley pitino’d his way out of Providence.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Not exactly true. Massachusetts kicked in $72 million for "infrastructure improvements" and Gillette Stadium is exempt from property taxes, although the Krafts do pay a fee per ticket sold to the town but the value is less than if the stadium itself was taxed.
Bah, Rt 1 was a mess they updated it, including the turn lanes and pedestrian crossing. Patriots Place pays property taxes and brings in sales taxes. The state has done just fine with that deal and so have the Patriots.

They were never going to Hartford. They wanted to get to Southie. Can we all step back from the crazy idea that there aren’t several other cities more worthy of an NFL team than Hartford? It couldn’t keep an NHL team.

District-Husky

Casual DC Fan
Reaction Score
I know we need the money and access to a P5 conference - but - duck the Big 12. I wouldn't want to play most of those schools in basketball. I'm living in the moment and happy we're still in the Big East where we are well positioned to win another NCAAT within the next 5 years. Really looking forward to this season and playing traditional rivals like Providence, St Johns, Nova, Seton Hall, and GTown and being able to actually see UConn play in those away venues. And also looking forward to the inevitable implosion of the ACC and BC getting screwed over when we block their attempted return to the Big East.

Reaction Score
I doubt there’s any truth to the 7 schools having a real chance. If 17 and 18 are really on the table, it’s probably us and one other tbd school—— because Yormark really does want us. Otherwise, I don’t think they’d further expand right now.
If it’s true that XII wants to go to 18 very soon (before 2024), I think UConn and SD St. as the logical pair as it adds SoCal (ASU would be very happy) and NY/NE, both the Eastern and Pacific time zones, and basketball cred.

That of course means that the XII presidents will pick 2 of Colorado St, UNLV, Boise St, Oregon St and Washington St. because they are more aligned culturally, add football value, and new markets (I think Washington St is #5 in Seattle behind UW, UO, Stanford and USC).

Reaction Score
For the record I wouldn't want our soccer team playing in Tempe unless it was a night game or the game was in November.
A friend of mine's son plays soccer in Scottsdale. High schools in the PHX metro only practice and play at night unless it is the middle of their 'winter'. All of their fields are lighted.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I know we need the money and access to a P5 conference - but - duck the Big 12. I wouldn't want to play most of those schools in basketball. I'm living in the moment and happy we're still in the Big East where we are well positioned to win another NCAAT within the next 5 years. Really looking forward to this season and playing traditional rivals like Providence, St Johns, Nova, Seton Hall, and GTown and being able to actually see UConn play in those away venues. And also looking forward to the inevitable implosion of the ACC and BC getting screwed over when we block their attempted return to the Big East.
I know that'll be so great in, what 13 years from now. In the meantime, Connecticut taxpayers can pony up $650 million so that we have the privilege of playing teams we remember from the old Big East. Since it's not my money, I'm all good if that's the call.

In any event when the ACC blows up, remember the bias towards picking up P5 programs rather than G5 programs. We may be 650 million in the hole and still on the outside looking in.

GG

Reaction Score
I'm hearing we need to find more media money for 17 & 18. This may take a few months.
The worst part is having to wait, and then potentially not even being selected. And the additional months give schools like Memphis an opportunity to try to convince the big 12 that they are a better selection than UCONN. Based on what I have read from you, and what Greg Flugar has discussed on his show, Yormark has a real interest in UCONN. What I don’t know is whether the big 12 presidents feel the same. I would say that another East Coast school makes sense if you’re Cincinnati, West Virginia, or UCF. It must be scary how west coast conference has become in a short period of time.

Last edited:

District-Husky

Casual DC Fan
Reaction Score
I know that'll be so great in, what 13 years from now. In the meantime, Connecticut taxpayers can pony up $650 million so that we have the privilege of playing teams we remember from the old Big East. Since it's not my money, I'm all good if that's the call.

In any event when the ACC blows up, remember the bias towards picking up P5 programs rather than G5 programs. We may be 650 million in the hole and still on the outside looking in.
I hope I'm still alive in 13 years to see BC getting blocked and playing in the A10. I suppose we'll let Cuse back in the Big East but Pitt and Louisville can screw off and play in the A10 too.

I don't pay CT taxes but I'm willing to increase my alumni contributions to keep us afloat.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
To block the Big 12 from the northeast. Phillips even said some expansion could be done to block another conference. The Big 12 can't add 17 and 18 without a new media partner.
It’s logical because he’s expecting the ACC to behave rationally. If it did, UConn would already be in it. They are at 15, it’s nuts. The ACC has a strong hand to play of it was just smarter about it, and if someone could muzzle the dopes at FSU.

Reaction Score
Completely agree! Anyone who thinks Cooley as head coach would make a program more attractive clearly has lost their mind. I mean what has he done as a college coach? Nothing all that memorable.
I think Cooley will do well at Georgetown as Georgetown has better recent basketball history than Providence and Georgetown is a great school in a top recruiting area.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think Cooley will do well at Georgetown as Georgetown has better recent basketball history than Providence and Georgetown is a great school in a top recruiting area.
It'll be interesting to see how much the change of venue enables him to be more successful.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Don’t sweat it. You’re correct. None of them are leaving. Nobody who could pay more wants them. Same is true of Gonzaga. It is the best non FBS conference for basketball schools. As such, it remains viable. It just isn’t viable long term for an FBS school.

Reaction Score
It’s logical because he’s expecting the ACC to behave rationally. If it did, UConn would already be in it. They are at 15, it’s nuts. The ACC has a strong hand to play of it was just smarter about it, and if someone could muzzle the dopes at FSU.
If ACC took UConn when they should have, Big 12 wouldn’t be claiming that they have the best basketball conference.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Okay let’s discount the words of one of the 4 strategic leaders who matter at this point.

You have your head in the sand. And I get it, because you said it yourself, in that reality you’re screwed.

We can either pay attention to the countless articles about the big 12’s interest in gonzaga, a
Basketball only asset, or we ignore that basketball is entering the picture now that the football race is over.

But its all nonsense because Cooley pitino’d his way out of Providence.
Big XII doesn’t want Gonzaga. Big East doesn’t even want Gonzaga. That was all nonsense.

Basketball is undervalued, but a tiny school in Spokane is still a tiny school in Spokane. The untapped value is international and severing it from football.

Reaction Score
If ACC took UConn when they should have, Big 12 wouldn’t be claiming that they have the best basketball conference.
“Best basketball conference” got the Big XII an extra $6 million in tourney money than the ACC over the last 2 years. Until the breakaway happens, basketball only moves the needle so much.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom