Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 627 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
So is the big 12 and acc. What’s your point? The idea is to buy time until the sec and big 10 really want to expand.
The PAC is in a worse spot because there are simply less options

Reaction Score
Those two guys have it easy. They have no choices they have to make with their careers on the line. They just have to wait to see how things play out. Sort of like us.

Correct and the drama with conference realignment now is also due to unequal "partnerships" across the leagues - these conferences have evolved and sometimes charter members don't have equal value, but get equal payment.

Right now you have UO and UW are looking at option 1) taking a "limited" or minority stage in the BigTen or 2) demanding an increased "majority" share from the rest of the Pac-12. They will take whatever offer is best for their interest and have no loyalty to either group.

Schools like WSU and OSU have it easy are happy where they are by holding the power of a charter and equal member. Once that dynamics shifts, everything gets even more chaotic.

UConn has ZERO leverage and is basically desperate. Even if a BigXII invite comes, do you think it will be a full share? Coming from outside the P5 to join whatever this new power group means UConn will never be an equal member. If they get in, they will still be a second class (and lower paid) member of this new club.

Reaction Score
This is great drama. I’m very intrigued by the FSU discussion. It appears that the Big 10 and SEC could stay intact based on their projected economics, but all other universities may be better off negotiating their own deal with private investors. I thought this would occur on a conference-level, but never thought about it at the university-level. I guess it’s like everyone negotiating their own shoe contract. Very interesting.

GG

Reaction Score
I still stand by UConn getting invited. Didn't think this would go into the weekend....but it's been wild.
Even if AZ, ASU & Utah all say yes?

Reaction Score
I cannot see a scenario where two schools governed by the same board make disparate decisions as to which conference they play in.

Arizona State’s president can have all the doubts he wants, but he’s going where Arizona goes.
Maybe, maybe not. As much as any school in the country, ASU is dependent on out of state students from one particular state. ASU might be willing to swallow far more than a $10M revenue difference to keep athletics in front of the California public. What is U of A trying to accomplish that is so important that the Trustees would tell ASU's President he doesn't know what is good for his university?

I don't purport to know anything about what is going on in these meetings, but I am not convinced that, if the six northern schools are willing to remain, and SD State would be added, it's in ASU's interests to leave (as an institution -- as an athletic department, maybe a different answer).

Reaction Score
I still stand by UConn getting invited. Didn't think this would go into the weekend....but it's been wild.
Can you please just let us know if this is a gut feeling or a source?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
They could go divisions with:
East - us, Cincy, WVU, UCF, ISU, KU, KSU, OSU
West - Arizona, ASU, BYU, TTU, Houston, TCU, Baylor, Colorado

They won't use divisions or the mythical pod setup that only exists on message boards.

Imagine going to Okie State as saying hey we're freezing you out of Texas to play UConn and Cincinnati?

Reaction Score
And we complain about other programs, conferences and the media that have undervalued us over the past two decades.

It’s one thing to believe that we can get screwed again. It’s a totally different situation where our fans continually make a case that we lack value as the reason for getting screwed.

It’s not that we lack value.

Killing another conference is more valuable than what we have to offer though.

Reaction Score
Maybe, maybe not. As much as any school in the country, ASU is dependent on out of state students from one particular state. ASU might be willing to swallow far more than a $10M revenue difference to keep athletics in front of the California public. What is U of A trying to accomplish that is so important that the Trustees would tell ASU's President he doesn't know what is good for his university?

I don't purport to know anything about what is going on in these meetings, but I am not convinced that, if the six northern schools are willing to remain, and SD State would be added, it's in ASU's interests to leave (as an institution -- as an athletic department, maybe a different answer).
Not fascinated enough to do the math right now but it does makes me wonder whether there is a play to increase the odds of an Arizona school making the CFP from different conferences while considering the above demographics.

That’s were additional $$ can be had to bridge delta.

Reaction Score
The big 10 wanted Oregon at half price. Why would they pay up now? If they really wanted that, they would have offered with UCLA and USC.

The only time the Big 10 may chase is when the SEC makes a move.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
I could see Arizona, Utah and us.
This was my initial prediction. I've modified to be UCONN, AZ, and ASU with Utah out. AZ and ASU have the same Board of Regents. I bet they are a package deal. Plus, BYU is the power school in Utah and may not want in-state competition.

Reaction Score
I don’t think the BIG cares to offer Oregon full price. They would have already if they wanted too. Oregon doesn’t have much on the BIG to stress them out. Maybe Apple but BIG don’t care.

Reaction Score
This was my initial prediction. I've modified to be UCONN, AZ, and ASU with Utah out. AZ and ASU have the same Board of Regents. I bet they are a package deal. Plus, BYU is the power school in Utah and may not want in-state competition.
Exactly. This has been the scenario that I believe what happened from day one.

Reaction Score
It has been insane. The PAC-12 and B12 board might as well sign a documentary series deal with Netflix or Amazon like the other poster said, and let those media companies in right now to document the whole thing. This could be one of the best-watched series in the future.

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
I sort of don't hate if it were Utah instead of ASU with Arizona and us. ASU has a lot of nice things going for it, but Utah would reinforce the overall cachet of the Big 12 as a football power

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom