Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 613 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
YouTube talking heads are saying Arizona was farther along in the process than ASU and Utah, but ASU and Utah are catching up. Supposedly, ASU and Utah were making hard pushes to get into the B1G, but came up short.

Also.........and this is going to ruffle some (Duck) feathers if true...........supposedly, Washington and Oregon will be offered separate deals in the B1G. Washington will be announced first, as it will receive the better deal. Oregon's deal will be less and will be tied to various metrics, such as increases in research spending. Not all of the talking heads agree on this point, some say they will both be offered the same deal.
???

Increases on research spending? The conferences and the AAU measure research grants. No school spends their own tuition money on research. They'd go broke. All money is spent on classroom instruction. In fact, half of every grant goes to instruction and not research.

So, Oregon can't increase research spending more than it is already trying to increase research spending.

Reaction Score
They have a regularly scheduled board meeting on the 8th. I don’t think Yormark wants to wait that long. Let’s see if they schedule a special session

Start the sales job on Oregon, Washington, nationally ranked Oregon State, Washington State, Stanford, Cal, national finalist San Diego, and Utah being a mighty fine block for a Power Conference - with the added benefit of adding in fellow state public school Utah State, nationally-known Boise State and the growing city of Las Vegas with UNLV and whatever else the marketing department can think of.

New PAC.

Reaction Score
They have a regularly scheduled board meeting on the 8th. I don’t think Yormark wants to wait that long. Let’s see if they schedule a special session
Pac-12 is falling apart. Oregon and Washington are going to Big 10.

Utah has to go to Big 12.

ASU, Arizona and Utah are more desperate than UConn.

But, it does blow up he Yormark thought of a National hoops league and NY. That ain’t happening.

Reaction Score
Pac-12 is falling apart. Oregon and Washington are going to Big 10.

Utah has to go to Big 12.

ASU, Arizona and Utah are more desperate than UConn.

But, it does blow up he Yormark thought of a National hoops league and NY. That ain’t happening.
This is what I don’t understand. If that’s what he really “wants”, then why does he HAVE to take Utah?

Reaction Score
This is what I don’t understand. If that’s what he really “wants”, then why does he HAVE to take Utah?
Thing you have to remember about Big 12 is they fancy themselves a football power.

Things changed on the ground.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
???

Increases on research spending? The conferences and the AAU measure research grants. No school spends their own tuition money on research.
True, but schools do spend their own money to bring in academics who can attract research spending. I imagine this is what they are getting at.

Reaction Score
???

Increases on research spending? The conferences and the AAU measure research grants. No school spends their own tuition money on research. They'd go broke. All money is spent on classroom instruction. In fact, half of every grant goes to instruction and not research.

So, Oregon can't increase research spending more than it is already trying to increase research spending.
Can we not talk academics? It really doesn’t matter.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I'm not sure any conference commissioner has ever been given the autonomy to make expansion decisions entirely on his own. As Colorado (and Arizona, if rumors are true) had to be voted on by all B-12 members, I think it is very safe to say that all he can do on the decisions of who to add is make recommendations.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Why would Yormark capitulate on his plan just because the PAC 12 disintegrated? If he wants a national conference, he needs to come east and execute his initial plan. Staying west centric kills the competition, but that is all. So the Big 12 goes past 16. Ultimately conferences are going to 20, look at what the Big 10 might do.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure any conference commissioner has ever been given the autonomy to make expansion decisions entirely on his own. As Colorado (and Arizona, if rumors are true) had to be voted on by all B-12 members, I think it is very safe to say that all he can do on the decisions of who to add is make recommendations.
Yormack went to go grab one or two, and circumstances made him get 4.

He played that perfectly.

But, that isn’t a basketball conference. I hope Stanford and Cal go Indy. That would be fun to get them on UConn schedule.

Reaction Score
Kevin Warren didn't want to expand. The Big 10 schools got rid of him. New commissioner Pettiti is open to expansion.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It's maddening that these jokers (and apparently Utah) need to be dragged kicking and screaming into the same lifeboat that UConn would kill for a seat in. But what can you do.
I thought desire to be in the big 12 was one of the criteria is for picking who gets in.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yormack went to go grab one or two, and circumstances made him get 4.

He played that perfectly.

But, that isn’t a basketball conference. I hope Stanford and Cal go Indy. That would be fun to get them on UConn schedule.
What? It was already the best basketball conference and added Houston and Arizona.

Reaction Score
Lizzo fancies herself as a sex symbol.
I thought desire to be in the big 12 was one of the criteria is for picking who gets in.
It doesn’t even matter. UConn willing to come across the continent to come in…maybe.

Utah and ASU hold their noses…not even biggest brands in own state, and they get in. SMH.

Reaction Score
I'm not convinced it isn't 3 (ASU), I'm not convinced it isn't 4 (Utah). The game has not finished being played everybody.

Reaction Score
What? It was already the best basketball conference and added Houston and Arizona.
It’s the best this last year. It’s going to be deep again and the best. But, that midwestern hoops league doesn’t rate in the east. Outside of Kansas, no one cares hoops wise.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It doesn’t even matter. UConn willing to come across the continent to come in…maybe.

Utah and ASU hold their noses…not even biggest brands in own state, and they get in. SMH.
Utah is the biggest brand in its state. ASU is huge and plays in metro Phoenix. An NHL team uses its arena. We really need to lose some of our biases about these schools.

Reaction Score
Utah is the biggest brand in its state. ASU is huge and plays in metro Phoenix. An NHL team uses its arena. We really need to lose some of our biases about these schools.
BYU dwarfs Utah. Arizona is a bigger brand than ASU.

They are good middle of the pack solid top 50 athletic programs. They belong where they are.

But this isn’t USC moving. They are taking an escape hatch because Oregon and Washington are headed to Big 10.

Reaction Score

It's crazy, don't even try and make sense of it.

Everything Yormark said about expanding East/NYC/basketball being undervalued is out the window and it's all about football. Uconn could go 10-1 in football and they would say yeah but you didn't beat Tennessee. Meanwhile they basically let community colleges into these other conferences.

Reaction Score
Start the sales job on Oregon, Washington, nationally ranked Oregon State, Washington State, Stanford, Cal, national finalist San Diego, and Utah being a mighty fine block for a Power Conference - with the added benefit of adding in fellow state public school Utah State, nationally-known Boise State and the growing city of Las Vegas with UNLV and whatever else the marketing department can think of.

New PAC.

If the PAC survives, I agree that San Diego St. is in whenever they want to be in. UNLV is an attractive market, i.e., the new shiny thing, but their facilities are lacking P5 standards, especially football, and Stanford and Cal may have an issue rubbing elbows with them (US News #285). Boise St.’s facilities are a tad better, but their ranking is even worse (#331-440).

Reaction Score
If the PAC survives, I agree that San Diego St. is in whenever they want to be in. UNLV is an attractive market, i.e., the new shiny thing, but their facilities are lacking P5 standards, especially football, and Stanford and Cal may have an issue rubbing elbows with them (US News #285). Boise St.’s facilities are a tad better, but their ranking is even worse (#331-440).
Stanford would rather go Indy in Football and join the ivy league.

Reaction Score
It's maddening that these jokers (and apparently Utah) need to be dragged kicking and screaming into the same lifeboat that UConn would kill for a seat in. But what can you do.
And at the Big 12 Conference, didn’t BY state, “we only want schools that really want to part of what we are building here” or something like that??!!

Umm - where’s your word on that Mr. BY?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom