Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 874 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
kentucky? they certainly identify with the south, they basically own the word "y'all"

It’s funny because Kentucky didn’t secede. It’s definitely more southern than Virginia and most of NC these days.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
kentucky? they certainly identify with the south, they basically own the word "y'all"
Florence, right across the Ohio River from Cinci has Florence y’all painted on its water tower.

Reaction Score
Florence, right across the Ohio River from Cinci has Florence y’all painted on its water tower.
That was because Kentucky has a law about size of advertisements and it originally said Florence Mall. They had to change it. Now they have an independent baseball league team called the Florence Y'alls.

Reaction Score
Why isn't it in the SECs interest to just stay where they are? Only thing i can think right now is you take members to deny them to other organizations.

I think there's a reason the SEC isn't going to move. New members, even schools like UNC don't move the average needle for the rest of the conference.
In the past the theory was that the conference is greater than the sum of its parts. I think that is still true with the right combinations so even a lesser program could increase the value of the conference.

The SEC should take UNC, UVA, Arizona, Kansas
The Big 12 should take Clemson, FSU, NC State, Va Tech. Also Georgia Tech and Louisville or UConn to replace Arizona and Kansas
Then the SEC and Big 12 would have cross-state rivals who would play every year. Those regular rivalries during rivalry week would draw even more interest despite the fact they're not in the same conference. Has the potential that both conference champions could be from the same state. That's some bragging rights. B1G is locked out of the south. ACC becomes AAC 2.0 or folds.

UNC - NC State
UVA - Va Tech
USC - Clemson
Florida - Florida State
Arizona - Arizona State
Kansas - Kansas State
Oklahoma - Oklahoma State
Georgia - Georgia Tech
Kentucky - Louisville
Texas, TAMU - Texas Tech, Baylor, TCU

Take it further
Trade Miss State for WVU

You Got It Ok GIF

Reaction Score
In the past the theory was that the conference is greater than the sum of its parts. I think that is still true with the right combinations so even a lesser program could increase the value of the conference.

The Big 12 should take Clemson, FSU, NC State, Va Tech. Also Georgia Tech and Louisville or UConn to replace Arizona and Kansas
Then the SEC and Big 12 would have cross-state rivals who would play every year. Those regular rivalries during rivalry week would draw even more interest despite the fact they're not in the same conference. Has the potential that both conference champions could be from the same state. That's some bragging rights. B1G is locked out of the south. ACC becomes AAC 2.0 or folds.

UNC - NC State
UVA - Va Tech
USC - Clemson
Florida - Florida State
Arizona - Arizona State
Kansas - Kansas State
Georgia - Georgia Tech
Kentucky - Louisville

Take it further
Trade Miss State for WVU

You Got It Ok GIF

Shizzle’s Burner found.

Reaction Score

UNC - NC State
UVA - Va Tech
USC - Clemson
Florida - Florida State
Arizona - Arizona State
Kansas - Kansas State
Georgia - Georgia Tech
Kentucky - Louisville

Take it further
Trade Miss State for WVU

You Got It Ok GIF
That only works so far and so long. The SEC has only cared about the SEC. BIG 10 might want to conquer the nation. The SEC only cares about conquering the south

dayooper

Reaction Score
No reason for them to join a conference. They get special treatment wherever they go. Only a p2 breakaway would make them join one.
Even if the ACC doesn’t work for them anymore, I’m sure the Big East would love to welcome them back into the fold. They can stay football indie as long as they want, IMO.

Reaction Score
No reason for them to join a conference. They get special treatment wherever they go. Only a p2 breakaway would make them join one.
I think the next issue that Notre Dame may face is playing top P2 schools in the future. Why? The P2 has consolidated most of the top football schools and the playoffs are now more reachable than before, but we aren't sure yet what kind of W/L records will make the playoffs. Why play Notre Dame and risk not making the playoffs for an out of conference game? Already, USC is thinking about continuing their annual rivalry with Notre Dame with the move to the Big 10.

Reaction Score
I think the next issue that Notre Dame may face is playing top P2 schools in the future. Why? The P2 has consolidated most of the top football schools and the playoffs are now more reachable than before, but we aren't sure yet what kind of W/L records will make the playoffs. Why play Notre Dame and risk not making the playoffs for an out of conference game? Already, USC is thinking about continuing their annual rivalry with Notre Dame with the move to the Big 10.
Good I hope no big2 schools agree to play them

dayooper

Reaction Score
I have a tendency to think this way as well, at least in a general sense. Yet, I think the USC-ND game will persist. It seems to be the biggest game for each school and, with ND and the Big10’s partnerships with NBC, I think there will be pressure to keep the rivalry going.

Reaction Score
I have a tendency to think this way as well, at least in a general sense. Yet, I think the USC-ND game will persist. It seems to be the biggest game for each school and, with ND and the Big10’s partnerships with NBC, I think there will be pressure to keep the rivalry going.
If USC misses the playoffs because they lost to Notre Dame in the last game of this season, I don't think USC will be very happy.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
USC-ND has been going on for more than a century and began when many of the name schools local to each refused to play small, private colleges. That will go on indefinitely. I would wager heavily that ND-Michigan St will continue at a frequency similar to what it has been (not every year, but most) as this predates MSU's inclusion in the B1G.

ND will be able to land home and homes with more than half of the remaining SEC/B1G schools any time they ask. ND's scheduling will be somewhat dependent on how many P-2 schools they would be willing to play every year (especially with their commitment to a partial ACC schedule).

ND will give up being an independent when it becomes impossible to make the playoffs as an independent. Until then football will be as it always has been.

dayooper

Reaction Score
If USC misses the playoffs because they lost to Notre Dame in the last game of this season, I don't think USC will be very happy.
No, but if Michigan loses to OSU or vice versa and gets kicked out of the playoffs, those teams won’t be happy. They are choosing to play each other as the last game just like USC and ND are. Will it go away? Maybe, but my guess is it won’t.

Reaction Score
USC-ND has been going on for more than a century and began when many of the name schools local to each refused to play small, private colleges. That will go on indefinitely. I would wager heavily that ND-Michigan St will continue at a frequency similar to what it has been (not every year, but most) as this predates MSU's inclusion in the B1G.

ND will be able to land home and homes with more than half of the remaining SEC/B1G schools any time they ask. ND's scheduling will be somewhat dependent on how many P-2 schools they would be willing to play every year (especially with their commitment to a partial ACC schedule).

ND will give up being an independent when it becomes impossible to make the playoffs as an independent. Until then football will be as it always has been.
USC is already talking about ending the ND rivalry even though it has been going on for a long time. It just might not be an every year game. People thought Texas/Texas A&M would never not be played, or Pitt/WVU,... When only 4 teams made the playoffs, you had to be undefeated or 1 loss so you had to have an extraordinary season. Now, you probably can get in with 2 losses or even 3 which means you don't have to have a great season to get into the playoffs so schools may not want too many challenging out of conference games.

Reaction Score
USC is already talking about ending the ND rivalry even though it has been going on for a long time. It just might not be an every year game. People thought Texas/Texas A&M would never not be played, or Pitt/WVU,... When only 4 teams made the playoffs, you had to be undefeated or 1 loss so you had to have an extraordinary season. Now, you probably can get in with 2 losses or even 3 which means you don't have to have a great season to get into the playoffs so schools may not want too many challenging out of conference games.
I’m married to an Aggie, and we went to one of the last games against Texas at College Station. When A&M went to the SEC, Texas said that their schedule would not permit them to play A&M anymore. Times change, I guess.

With regard to USC, there are a couple of ways to look at this. Many are saying that if USC was in playoff position, and lose to Notre Dame, that coukd hurt their CFP chances. But the opposite is also true. Further with 12 teams in the CFP now, a loss to Notre Dame on Thanksgiving weekend might not be such a bad thing if they are in playoff position.

Reaction Score
No, but if Michigan loses to OSU or vice versa and gets kicked out of the playoffs, those teams won’t be happy. They are choosing to play each other as the last game just like USC and ND are. Will it go away? Maybe, but my guess is it won’t.
If Michigan or Ohio State lose to the other and have 1 or 2 losses, they will still make the 12 team playoff. In the past, losing the Ohio St./Michigan game almost excluded you from the playoffs. Not anymore.

Reaction Score
If Michigan or Ohio State lose to the other and have 1 or 2 losses, they will still make the 12 team playoff. In the past, losing the Ohio St./Michigan game almost excluded you from the playoffs. Not anymore.
Yeah but they aren't going to think like that it they miss. And you know the way committees think. They'll think team X played themselves out. It's only the high elite that won't worry about their schedule. If it was 24 teams I think most schools wouldn't care anymore

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HawleyArmou

Top Bottom