Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 495 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score

No major sports rights renewals means.. stability?

To me, this says this is the only chance the PAC has at garnering large $$ - move to non-linear programing because that's the only bid that is out there and might be willing to pay a pretty penny because all other content is already locked up.

With the writer's/actors strikes (separate but connected), ESPN layoffs, absolutely ridiculous contracts already signed for existing media, some day this is going to end very badly for some. I'm happy that Fox Sports and others have joined the party because otherwise the puppetmaster (ESPN) would have already whittled this down to one (SEC) and maybe two (+ B1G) and left everyone else in the dust. It's happening anyhow but with more seats at the table (maybe 3 or 4 conferences).

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
To me, this says this is the only chance the PAC has at garnering large $$ - move to non-linear programing because that's the only bid that is out there and might be willing to pay a pretty penny because all other content is already locked up.

With the writer's/actors strikes (separate but connected), ESPN layoffs, absolutely ridiculous contracts already signed for existing media, some day this is going to end very badly for some. I'm happy that Fox Sports and others have joined the party because otherwise the puppetmaster (ESPN) would have already whittled this down to one (SEC) and maybe two (+ B1G) and left everyone else in the dust. It's happening anyhow but with more seats at the table (maybe 3 or 4 conferences).
I agree, but I think it’s only going to be 3 seats at the table with the SEC and Big10 as the top 2. The fight is for the 3rd spot.

Reaction Score

-> Furthermore, the Big 12 proudly noted eight of its 10 returning teams played in bowl games last winter, the highest percentage in FBS. All four newcomers reached the postseason as well. And now you're talking about adding... UConn? Willingly doomed its football program to FBS purgatory so basketball could re-join the Big East UConn?

As one well-connected college sports insider put it to me at Big 12 media days on Thursday, "You already have one Kansas. Do you really need another?" <-

Now they are taking shots @ the Commissioner… LOL

Taking bets on who the connected college sport insider is…

This is why it is so horrible for UConn to have things dragged out so long because of the PAC 12. There will be more and more stories like this.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

It’s unclear with whom the Pac-12 has been negotiating. ESPN, Fox, NBC and CBS have all recently struck partnerships with other conferences, including the SEC (ESPN), the Big Ten (Fox, NBC and CBS) and the Big 12 (ESPN and Fox). Streamers such as Amazon and Apple have delved into the sports world lately as well.

If the Pac-12 does choose a streaming service as its primary broadcasting partner, the league is expected to require that streamer to sub-license marquee games on a linear service.

Last edited:

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Seems like this is headed towards a deal with Amazon or Apple with select games also carried on the CW network.....how else to read the tea leaves here when many report that ESPN and FOX are not bidding.

Last edited:

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

For the Pac-12 to stay intact after the departure of USC and UCLA to the Big Ten in 2024, the 10 remaining presidents and chancellors have to sign the grant of rights, which will depend on their satisfaction with the new deal. The 10 schools in the conference have pre-negotiated the grant of rights deal and agreed on the terms, including how the revenue would be split, which signifies a commitment to the conference -- at least tangentially. The length of the grant of rights will mirror the terms of the television contract.

Leaders throughout college athletics have been paying close attention to the Pac-12 and waiting for months to see how -- if at all -- the new deal could further impact conference realignment. The biggest flight risk, according to sources, has been Colorado, and it remains to be seen if the administration there has the patience to wait for the new deal before making a major decision that could have a tidal wave of effects.

The uncertainty in the Pac-12 has been magnified by the Big 12's unabashed interest in the possibility of further conference expansion and its six-year, $2.2 billion dollar television deal with ESPN and FOX that runs through 2031.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Context:
Big 12 Day at Rucker Park
KU reporter tweets “hmmm”

Q: re: UConn?
A: (Perhaps)

UConn needs to crash the party. Bring DC, AK, Tristan, Samson and a few others. Oh yeah, bring Hurley and the trophy too.

Take center court with the trophy and announce the Champs are in the house ready to take on any challengers.

Reaction Score

-> Furthermore, the Big 12 proudly noted eight of its 10 returning teams played in bowl games last winter, the highest percentage in FBS. All four newcomers reached the postseason as well. And now you're talking about adding... UConn? Willingly doomed its football program to FBS purgatory so basketball could re-join the Big East UConn?

As one well-connected college sports insider put it to me at Big 12 media days on Thursday, "You already have one Kansas. Do you really need another?" <-

The Big 12 is as mediocre as it gets in football, somebody needs to tell these idiots.

Reaction Score

It’s unclear with whom the Pac-12 has been negotiating. ESPN, Fox, NBC and CBS have all recently struck partnerships with other conferences, including the SEC (ESPN), the Big Ten (Fox, NBC and CBS) and the Big 12 (ESPN and Fox). Streamers such as Amazon and Apple have delved into the sports world lately as well.

If the Pac-12 does choose a streaming service as its primary broadcasting partner, the league is expected to require that streamer to sub-license marquee games on a linear service.

We’ve been at this for 11 years. What’s a few more weeks right?
So other than Oregon UDub, what other marquee games would the Pac have?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Meanwhile back in the Pac 12 offices
Aparna Nancherla Ugh GIF by Team Coco

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score

I went out there to spew venom, but found no need. Most of the comments were of the "hit job", "lazy" or "you know they were in a bowl last year" variety. Good to see.

Reaction Score
Define mediocre? I seem to remember TCU burying Michigan last year in the tournament a few weeks after losing to Kansas State.
Of only moderate quality, not very good.

It's a league that plays zero defense and they're losing their only two national football name brands.

TCU beat Michigan by 6 and then contributed to the worst national title game in history. Georgia took it easy on them and only beat them by 58.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Like that bounty hunter in The Outlaw Josie Wales that had to go back into the saloon for Josie, I too had to go back to Twitter.
"Let me sum up the comments so far. You have put no effort into research before you did this lazy hit piece about a school that made a bowl last year and beat the #19 school. Embarrassing."

pj

Reaction Score
I went out there to spew venom, but found no need. Most of the comments were of the "hit job", "lazy" or "you know they were in a bowl last year" variety. Good to see.

Yeah, also self-defeating to think it's a negative to bring in another Kansas. Where would the B12 be without Kansas? It's their most valuable remaining school.

Reaction Score

For the Pac-12 to stay intact after the departure of USC and UCLA to the Big Ten in 2024, the 10 remaining presidents and chancellors have to sign the grant of rights, which will depend on their satisfaction with the new deal. The 10 schools in the conference have pre-negotiated the grant of rights deal and agreed on the terms, including how the revenue would be split, which signifies a commitment to the conference -- at least tangentially. The length of the grant of rights will mirror the terms of the television contract.

Leaders throughout college athletics have been paying close attention to the Pac-12 and waiting for months to see how -- if at all -- the new deal could further impact conference realignment. The biggest flight risk, according to sources, has been Colorado, and it remains to be seen if the administration there has the patience to wait for the new deal before making a major decision that could have a tidal wave of effects.

The uncertainty in the Pac-12 has been magnified by the Big 12's unabashed interest in the possibility of further conference expansion and its six-year, $2.2 billion dollar television deal with ESPN and FOX that runs through 2031.
Her "source" is Washington State president Kirk Schultz.

Reaction Score
Of only moderate quality, not very good.

So what is clearly the 3rd best football league in the country is not very good in your opinion. When we were in the Big East we were in the 6th best football league and we loved it. There is a pecking order in college football and the B12 may be short an elite team, but TCU certainly seems close to filling the void.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So what is clearly the 3rd best football league in the country is not very good in your opinion. When we were in the Big East we were in the 6th best football league and we loved it. There is a pecking order in college football and the B12 may be short an elite team, but TCU certainly seems close to filling the void.
Mediocre

Calling the Big 12 clearly the third best conference in football is a stretch. There's only two conferences that matter in college football, there's one conference that's way better than everyone else.

It's amazing the TV contract Yormark was able to pull off with his two football programs the country cares about in football leaving.

The article is idiotic. The Big 12 doesn't need another Kansas? Well Kansas is the biggest national brand they've got.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom