Reaction Score
FSU and Clemson twisting in the
Storm Wind GIF

Reaction Score
FSU and Clemson twisting in the
Storm Wind GIF

Schadenfreude.

Also, FSU voted against UConn:
Florida State would be one of the schools that would probably object to the conference closing out its expansion efforts in this manner.
"Not particularly, no," Florida State Board of Trustees Chairman Andy Haggard said of whether he would be in favor of the conference adding Connecticut and Rutgers. "But I would have to hear more about it. I'd have to see where Connecticut is, and Connecticut is playing good football right now, and where Rutgers is football wise, basketball wise, TV exposure, the elements of the country that they are in and all that.
"It certainly wouldn't be my pick but it wouldn't be my decision; it would be Swofford's and the ACC presidents. But I've heard a lot of backlash against Connecticut and Rutgers coming in because it would make us more of a basketball (conference) not a football (conference). That's what I get from fans, alumni, boosters and so forth."
As Haggard has noted before, schools with more traditionally strong football programs would be a better fit for the ACC as far as FSU is concerned.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
A key Tweeter replying to a non-key Tweeter

Reaction Score
Again, fsu can stomp and storm all day. Within the conference they can try and recreate what bevo and OU had in B12 - that worked out well. Or they can realize no one wants them at the moment, so there’s nowhere to go. The P2 has schools to ingest for now. the B12 - no way that would leave them feeling as if they’d won. The PAC? Sorry, had to say it.

As an aside, has a conf ever succeeded by adding in ND 1/2 way?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
UConn football only or Army football only if SDSU leaves?
A silly parlor question, if the B12 takes us for all sports but football, and the CFB mandates we join a conf, which would we prefer - the MW or MAC? I like the MW schools myself, but I am not a football coach managing travel and high altitude games or having to recruit to such a set up.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
A silly parlor question, if the B12 takes us for all sports but football, and the CFB mandates we join a conf, which would we prefer - the MW or MAC? I like the MW schools myself, but I am not a football coach managing travel and high altitude games or having to recruit to such a set up.
MW easily. Likely the #6 league going forward and most of the schools are well-known.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It’s tough to know what to root for from the University of Connecticut perspective. I guess we should be rooting for the Pac 12 to remain intact which in turn will cause the big 12 to look east. That, in turn, might cause the ACC to take us off the table to protect the East Coast. Or should we look for the pack 12 to fold because since we are on the outside looking in change, and chaos, may create opportunities for us down the road.

Confused Kevin James GIF by TV Land

Reaction Score
It’s tough to know what to root for from the University of Connecticut perspective. I guess we should be rooting for the Pac 12 to remain intact which in turn will cause the big 12 to look east. That, in turn, might cause the ACC to take us off the table to protect the East Coast. Or should we look for the pack 12 to fold because since we are on the outside looking in change, and chaos, may create opportunities for us down the road.

I say we take Rule 1 to the Supreme Court and have it ruled unconstitutional. Of course, as their “brands” fade, FSU and Clemson may challenge us for rule 1 supremacy

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

I'm impatient. I'll take PAC disintegration today with AZ and Colorado the the B12, the remaining holding together for a couple years while they get their ducks in a row to become a discounted left arm of the ACC. ACC & ESPN now have a coast to coast product to back up the SEC product.

The scenario I find the least attractive is one where SMU gets the nod to join the stop gap PAC. Its a stop gap because its hard to see the PAC holding in that scenario after say 2030 or so. Watching SMU and SDST when the geography lottery again will be so annoying.

Big media wants to turn the P5 to P4. They are playing their cards by letting the PAC media slip into the abyss.

As for all the noise with FSU and Clemson....I think its all noise, they have no hand until the B1G or SEC are truly ready and that doesnt seem to be the case today.

And UConn, well- I think we stand out better once the P5 melts to a P4. The P4 world will still have some opportunity to help either team Fox or team ESPN bolster their respective conference media alignments.

CL82

Reaction Score
And UConn, well- I think we stand out better once the P5 melts to a P4. The P4 world will still have some opportunity.
Yeah, it bugs me, but I do think that our best case scenario is being in a “best of the rest” conference that is materially higher than the P5, but significantly lower than the P2.

Last edited:

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Yeah, it bugs me, but I do think that our best case scenario is being in a “best of the rest” conference that is materially higher than the P5, but significantly lower than the P2.
Seems to me the future is a P2A with the B1G and SEC and a P2B with the ACC-PAC and B12. There will be a gap between the P2A and P2B...the gap we see today and there is little reason to think it will narrow much in the decades to come.

Reaction Score
None of this is fair so I get your annoyance as a fan. That said a best of the rest ACC Conference with some G5 Additions would be really good for football and at worst a push for basketball. If this conference could negotiate a 25+Mil per year deal from ESPN, Uconn would have more than tripled its current payouts.

Potential Future ACC- BC, Uconn, Cuse, Pitt, VPI, Ville, Duke, NCSU, WFU, GT, Miami, USF.

This conference lineup assumes Only UNC/UVA and Clemson/FSU leave while The Big 12 stays put. Realistically The B1G and SEC could press for more teams and/or The Big 12 could look to build out its Eastern Flank if schools like Pitt, Ville, NSCU, and Miami are sitting out there.

I could see a scenario where Duke, Cuse, BC and WFU are all left without a home. These schools could try to join The Big East and go independent with a scheduling agreement. However, they would need to negotiate their own football deals. Alternatively they could form a regional conference pulling in a bunch of G5 Schools that might not command great money but could allow the schools to remain on a linear network with a decent deal. I could see something like this:

BC, Umass, Uconn, Cuse, Temple, Navy, ODU, Duke, WFU, ECU, Memphis, USF. Primarily East Coast with enough clout to garner bowl ties and NCAA Bids. Some of these teams could be swapped out for others, but this feels like something that could be real and potentially better if a few additional ACC Schools get left behind.

CL82

Reaction Score
If this conference could negotiate a 25+Mil per year deal from ESPN, Uconn would have more than tripled its current payouts
Assuming that hypothetical payout, figure is correct, we would be at no more than a third of what the P2 were getting. That would put us at a significant disadvantage for paying and retaining top coaching talent and keeping up in a facilities shooting war. Not the best place in the world to be, but certainly better than where we are now.

That number is “significantly less than the P2, but materially more than the best G5.” I don’t see a path for us to do better than that.

Reaction Score
I just don’t see anything happening with the acc for a while..or the big 12 …uconn needs a good big east media deal and a good football independent deal first… then when we don’t need them.. thats when they will come calling… unless the conferences don’t like that the big east is financially stable and too successful.. then they will try to break it up

Reaction Score
I only hope that AD Dave is being proactive during this apparent time of CR. I would hate to see UConn lose an opportunity because the powers that be decided to sit by the phone and wait for a call, rather than lobby like Louisville did when the ACC chose them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom