Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 407 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Marquette account did an exercise to guess what it could be and figure it will or be close to doubling what league gets today which is in neighborhood of $8 mill a year per school. $10 would be great, but doesn't seem realistic in current environment where ESPN will likely not put in a competitive bid (be it from a linear cable and/or monetary standpoint) as Disney has asked Bristol to be picky with inventory.

What are Big East TV Rights worth?
I always thought the logic of using MLS as a comparison was sketchy, but I do think the number they came up with is about right.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Well that would be like a 100 percent increase, so if you're not happy with that. Something is wrong with you. Now I doubt they get that number.

I'd be plenty happy. Put me in the 96.32% who are happy.

There's always 3.68% who are never happy.

CL82

Reaction Score
The timing of her release is interesting.
Yep. It makes you wonder if the rumors of other conferences looking at the big east for potential expansion targets have some basis to them.

Reaction Score
The timing of her release is interesting.
The timing doesn't seem that odd to me with 2 years left on the contract. Just completed a successful women's tournament and the teams and press are in NY for the Big East men's tournament and the spotlight is on the conference.

CL82

Reaction Score
The timing doesn't seem that odd to me with 2 years left on the contract. Just completed a successful women's tournament and the teams and press are in NY for the Big East men's tournament and the spotlight is on the conference.
Note that she’s not actually negotiating with Fox. Per Fanta, she is just announcing that she will be negotiating within a couple of months.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Note that she’s not actually negotiating with Fox. Per Fanta, she is just announcing that she will be negotiating within a couple of months.

As they'd say in the south, "I'm fixin' to do it".

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Yep. It makes you wonder if the rumors of other conferences looking at the big east for potential expansion targets have some basis to them.
Uh,... yeah,..

NO!

Hondo 77

The voice of reason
Reaction Score
Only if it’s UCONN. Basketball onlies are a non-starter.

Reaction Score
LOL. Dodd is considered a Big 12 homer at this point.

Pete Thamel isn't and he has said the same thing. So has Max Olson of The Athletic. In fact he reported the same thing from the same event that Dennis Dodd was at so they likely have overlapping sources. He isn't anymore of a "homer" than reporters like Brett McMurphy who have consistently printed articles about B1G expansion.

Reaction Score
What amount would people be happy with? 10MM per school?
That's a good deal for every school in the conference not named UConn. No one else is trying to operate a competitive FBS Football Program as an independent no less. UConn has to pay for facilities, coaches, marketing/recruiting/travel expenses and scholarships for 85 Players along with 85 matching scholarships for female athletes. It's a tough spot for your AD to be in. UConn is a major state university. They deserve to be in a major conference.

Reaction Score
Uconn has not got in a money conference because of football… and I doubt they get invited anytime soon…so now what?…our basketball is in a good conference.. that pays well for basketball…how do we make enough money on football?… how do schools that make $500,000 for all sports do it?

Reaction Score
Uconn has not got in a money conference because of football… and I doubt they get invited anytime soon…so now what?…our basketball is in a good conference.. that pays well for basketball…how do we make enough money on football?… how do schools that make $500,000 for all sports do it?
They don't. They're forced to accept the fact that they're competing for a bid in The Beef O Brady's Poulan Weed Whacker Bowl being played on Dec 17 in Detroit. They're also forced to travel around the country in September to take beatings from SEC or B1G Teams in exchange for a check. The Big East might be a "money conference" for Depaul or Marquette, but they don't have your AD's Overhead. It is imperative that UConn aligns itself with one of the current P5 Conferences at whatever cost. They need to work every conceivable angle and fight like their AD's Life depends on it. The days of the haves and the have nots being able to compete with each other are coming to a close. There will be so many barriers to competition, real or otherwise, put in place that there will just be haves and no one else.

Reaction Score
How about this… our football team has a great year… we end up 8-5 with bowl bid…our attendance is over 25,000 a game… at our bowl game we pack it with Uconn fans..smu goes to the pac 12… the aac needs to back fill… espn tells them to take Uconn… for 5 million a year for football only …. That could happen

CL82

Reaction Score
How about this… our football team has a great year… we end up 8-5 with bowl bid…our attendance is over 25,000 a game… at our bowl game we pack it with Uconn fans..smu goes to the pac 12… the aac needs to back fill… espn tells them to take Uconn… for 5 million a year for football only …. That could happen
Wait, did you propose a scenario where Connecticut heads up back in the American?
Sick Vomit GIF by CBS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom