Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 485 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
Not a tweet, but still key?

"This year, the Big 12 will have 14 total teams because of the four additions, plus the final season with OU and Texas. In 2024, the league will shrink to 12, but Gundy said "it's not unreasonable to think we could be at 16 again real quick."

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Hey saw you sending out some Connecticut to the Big 12 love on Twitter. It's appreciated!
Not me. I don’t have a personal Twitter account (haven’t for years). In my line of work (education), the scrutiny of my social life can cause me to lose my job. Not that I do anything wrong, but it’s just not worth it to me.

If I did have an account, I would certainly promote UConn, but it would be to the Big10. :)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Not me. I don’t have a personal Twitter account (haven’t for years). In my line of work (education), the scrutiny of my social life can cause me to lose my job. Not that I do anything wrong, but it’s just not worth it to me.

If I did have an account, I would certainly promote UConn, but it would be to the Big10. :)
Lol, it was the same name and same avatar. If I see it again I'll copy it and bring it over.

Reaction Score
In football I don’t think we’re close to Cincy.
In BB they’ve had some good matchups with us, but overall there’s a sizable gap.

I actually like what Cincy has done. They’ve hired great coaches and backfilled with even better ones.

You can’t knock their success past decade. I think Cincy and WVU could be nice rivalries. We’d have a little catch-up in fb.
We aren’t close to Cincy in football and they want to keep it that way. I have no problem with Cincy. I’m just saying, we are kind of like Duke. We have haters because we win all the time. The last thing anyone wants is UConn to have more resources in basketball and to get good at football again.

Reaction Score

It would be pretty hypocritical of a conference to add 4 G5 Schools and then turn around and say we're not considering G5 Schools. Like what changed? The entire P5 vs. G5 debate is just dumb anyway. While any P5 Conference is better overall than any G5 Conference, it doesn't mean that every team playing in a P5 Conference is more credible than every G5 Counterpart. UConn and Colorado would give the conference an interesting mix of schools and a nice set of pairs for rivalry week.

KU/KSU
OSU/ISU
BU/TCU
TT/UH
WVU/Cincy
BYU/Colorado
UCF/UConn

Reaction Score
Very fair. You are now going through a due diligence process.

What’s your current view based on the last input from alleged sources?
Until shown otherwise, I think that discussions continue. It is a complex thing to do a deal which is a win-win. I can easily see how discussions could drag on. And I am on record with my best guess when it might happen.

Btw, I am not really into reaching out for things to report. If I happen to run into a friend, I might pick something up. What I am saying is that is that I may not make a similar post for a long time.

Reaction Score
We aren’t close to Cincy in football and they want to keep it that way. I have no problem with Cincy. I’m just saying, we are kind of like Duke. We have haters because we win all the time. The last thing anyone wants is UConn to have more resources in basketball and to get good at football again.
They’ve had their way with UConn in football and were tough in BB. Pretty close to a rival although WV will be for them. All depends on coaches. Tubberviille? Cronin was good in BB. Fickle is gone so we’ll see.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score

-> In his second Big 12 football media days address, commissioner Brett Yormark was slightly more understated on the podium. But rest assured, the aggressive commish has no expansionist chill behind the scenes. The lean, cocksure 56-year-old is pursuing deals the way he attacks the Peloton leaderboard every morning.

That should keep conferences on both coasts nervous.

The Pac-12, still meandering toward a media-rights agreement? Keep your members close, especially Colorado. The Big East, lucratively reunited in recent years with 2023 men’s basketball national champion Connecticut? Check in on your Huskies.

Nothing may come of this. The Pac-12 may finally secure a media deal that keeps its remaining 10 schools in the fold and stabilizes the league. The Big 12 membership may resist overtures to UConn, which is a tough sell geographically and as a football contributor. But rest assured, Yormark is taking a year of positive momentum and doubling down on his efforts to elevate the Big 12 in the Power 5 hierarchy. <-

-> “We have a plan for expansion,” Yormark said on the podium. “I’m not going to really address it today. Hopefully we can execute it sooner than later. If we stay at 12, we’re perfectly fine with that. … If within the value equation there’s alignment (to add members), Power Five or non-Power Five, we’ll look to pursue it.”

Plan A might be plundering two to four teams from the Pac-12. Plan B might be a Colorado-UConn power play—but if Colorado is a non-starter, that probably ends the scenario. Non-football aspirations could involve St. John’s, which has the big-dollar booster backing of Vitamin Water founder Mike Repole and just landed Rick Pitino as its coach. They could involve Gonzaga, the hoops power of the Pacific Northwest, which would get the Big 12 into all four time zones and at least partially fulfill pursuit of a coast-to-coast conference.

And, dare to dream, should the Big 12 continue to pursue an NYC presence, grabbing Syracuse in the fallout from an Atlantic Coast Conference breakup could be a (far) down-the-road idea. Between UConn, St. John’s and Syracuse, the Big 12 could actually deliver a decent slice of the New York City market—at least in one sport. <-

-> The way to read that in Pac-12 territory: better get that media deal done, and it better be good. The way to read that in the Big East: UConn is a great fit, but perhaps not a forever fit. <-

Reaction Score
Full Transcript of Yormark’s Media Day Remarks:

Based on Yormark's answer to these two questions, why can't UConn be added as a standalone now? It would put media attention on the Big 12 Conference and if they added someone at a later date, the Big 12 Conference would get media attention again.

Q. To the question that every media member is sitting here wanting me to ask and everyone back home, let's talk about expansion. What does expansion look like for the Big 12?

BRETT YORMARK: I feel like I've been talking about expansion for a year now. When I said we were open for business last year, I think people took that as, my God, this guy is new and he wants to go and disrupt, I guess, in some respects.

But indicative of my opening comments today, open for business was that we were going to explore every and all possibility to grow revenue, to diversify our conference, and to do things that hadn't been done before. We did a lot of that.

Relative to expansion I said coming out of our spring business meetings at the Greenbrier that we have a plan, and we have a plan for expansion, and I'm not going to really address it today. You can ask me, but I'm not really going to address it. We do have a plan, and hopefully we can execute that plan sooner than later.

But as I've always said, I love the composition of this conference right now. The excitement the four new members have brought to this conference has been incredible, and if we stay at 12, we're perfectly fine with that.

If the opportunity presents itself where there's something that creates value and aligns well with our goals and objectives, starting with the board, then we're certainly going to pursue it.

Q. Brett, I wanted to ask you, in terms of BYU being on the western flank of this conference, do you have hopes to find another broadcast partner out in the mountain or Pacific time zones at some point?

BRETT YORMARK: Another broadcast partner?

Q. Another institution, I guess, to pair with BYU in that late TV window.

BRETT YORMARK: First of all, we love BYU. Excited about them coming into the conference. They bring a different time zone, obviously, which is great for us. We're the only conference in America that's in three time zones.

But right now, there's nothing on the board. Again, we'll explore all options, but until that point, we love the current makeup and we're excited about it, but thank you for the question.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I have heard the latest gossip of a possible immediate 2024 football add with b-ball later but I too will not reveal sources
Season 2 Episode 6 GIF by Amazon Prime Video

Reaction Score
It would be pretty hypocritical of a conference to add 4 G5 Schools and then turn around and say we're not considering G5 Schools. Like what changed? The entire P5 vs. G5 debate is just dumb anyway. While any P5 Conference is better overall than any G5 Conference, it doesn't mean that every team playing in a P5 Conference is more credible than every G5 Counterpart. UConn and Colorado would give the conference an interesting mix of schools and a nice set of pairs for rivalry week.

KU/KSU
OSU/ISU
BU/TCU
TT/UH
WVU/Cincy
BYU/Colorado
UCF/UConn
Wouldn’t that create a ConFLiCT?

Reaction Score
Brett Yormark & Mack Rhoades on the Present & Future of the Big 12

Just some general talk about realignment.

Reaction Score
People have no idea how country CT is. They think Fairfield county boating and country club.

CT has small cities, toney suburbs and then some Hicksville places that is just farm and tractors. I always find it funny when people think state is metropolitan. It is a suburb of New York and essentially cities with a lot to country in it considering location.
Compared to what? An incredibly small percentage of Conneciticut is farmland compared to the rest of the country. There's tiny gentleman farms and tiny agritourism farms along with tiny rundown farms but very little farmland and farm production in the state of CT compared to the rest of the country.

I think most people know it's an incredibly densely packed urban state with small cities.

Reaction Score
Urban areas are defined by having housing units of at least 2000 or a population of at least 5000. Flying over Connecticut in a small plane, the state would seem surprisingly green given what I thought and perhaps others what the word urban envisions.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom