Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 459 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
Over the last 20 years, why is Colorado better than UConn Athletics?

I guess we can say Denver market, but outside of that what do they have?

Colorado would die for the success of UConn sports over the last 25 years. In the current “P5”, the bottom 20% of P5 teams are worse gets from UConn. The only thing they do better than UConn is collect a paycheck .

Their facilities, fanbase, market, and athletic success and potential are better than many P5 teams.

It’s getting to be annoying the narrative. UConn isn’t taking a step up in the Big 12 or ACC. It’s kind of who they are where they belong.

Reaction Score

UConn has a P5 budget. They feel that is what they need to sustain their athletic competitiveness.

Also, give me a break on the directors cup. Gymnastics, bowling ,fencing and wrestling as well as all swimming and tennis are essentially niche sports.

Should be a metric for team sports that are in nearly every conference.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

Colorado would die for the success of UConn sports over the last 25 years. In the current “P5”, the bottom 20% of P5 teams are worse gets from UConn. The only thing they do better than UConn is collect a paycheck .

Their facilities, fanbase, market, and athletic success and potential are better than many P5 teams.

It’s getting to be annoying the narrative. UConn isn’t taking a step up in the Big 12 or ACC. It’s kind of who they are where they belong.
I don't disagree but the argument can easily be made that Colorado has competed successfully at the P-5 level of football from the days when Byron Whizzer White (supreme court justice) was an all American through now, even won a national title a few decades ago and, specific to the B-12 has a history with the conference and many of its members (some relationships go back more than a century).

In defending our dissertation we are still leaving as an open item the question of whether we can sustain a football program at this level.

DGB

Reaction Score
I don't disagree but the argument can easily be made that Colorado has competed successfully at the P-5 level of football from the days when Byron Whizzer White (supreme court justice) was an all American through now, even won a national title a few decades ago and, specific to the B-12 has a history with the conference and many of its members (some relationships go back more than a century).

In defending our dissertation we are still leaving as an open item the question of whether we can sustain a football program at this level.
I get your point...but this isn't an open item. UConn was a solid, well supported football program when in a power conference for essentially a decade. It endured a series of bad hires and a terrible conference/money situation for another decade...and survived.

The football program showed it could thrive in a good conference. It showed it could survive after being cast off not for bad play or lack of support...but because of the whims of conference realignment.

If in a power conference, this state/fanbase can easily sustain a power conference football program. There's nothing more to prove. After the first decade, there really never was.

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score

highest non-P2 is Virginia at 14th, $161.9m. Clemson is 17th, $158m. Oregon is 19th, $153m. Louisville and Washington round out the non-P2 with 146m (23rd) and 145.1m (25th)

Reaction Score
Hmmmm...last year, #15 FSU......beat #6, #8, #10, #17 in funding..

But..the problem is after 2024 those ranking numbers get pulled llike weak taffy when the new P2 contracts take effect.

Reaction Score
FSU also beat #6, #8, and #17 in whining while not winning anything.

FSU is the new Texas….all talk, no action.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

highest non-P2 is Virginia at 14th, $161.9m. Clemson is 17th, $158m. Oregon is 19th, $153m. Louisville and Washington round out the non-P2 with 146m (23rd) and 145.1m (25th)

And some people think UConn would be chosen over Louisville right now.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

You Know It Yes GIF by Sherilyn Carter

You tell them Silver!

Reaction Score
FSU also beat #6, #8, and #17 in whining while not winning anything.

FSU is the new Texas….all talk, no action.

Except FSU has won two NC's since 2000....Money hasn't yet separated Ohio State, Texas A&M, Texas, from FSU in terms of NC's of late.

I get the animosity...but FSU did rank #10 end of season last year...and did beat those monied schools..

Reaction Score
For years Texas destabilized the Big12 and teams like TAMU actually left to get away from Texas. At the end Texas blocked any additions prior to jumping ship effectively making sure the Big12 couldn’t adapt until after they left.

FSU is now playing that role in the ACC. And FSU is certainly not suffering in silence.

Btw FSU was #10 at the end of the year? At UConn we recognize championships.

Reaction Score
For years Texas destabilized the Big12 and teams like TAMU actually left to get away from Texas. At the end Texas blocked any additions prior to jumping ship effectively making sure the Big12 couldn’t adapt until after they left.

FSU is now playing that role in the ACC. And FSU is certainly not suffering in silence.

Btw FSU was #10 at the end of the year? At UConn we recognize championships.
FSU deserves a little understanding from us. We know what bad hires do to a program. They went and got a good coach and they are bouncing right back.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Don't sleep on Louisville football now
New coach and heavy recruiting
Yeah, they average about 44k. They are a second fiddle to UK on the basketball side, but not really on the football side. One of the teams that will likely benefit from the portal with coaching sorted out.

I think we need to be cautious in reading too much into the Big XII talking about basketball being undervalued. @JohnFSilver Colorado has a football national championship and name brand. Even pre "Coach Prime" they averaged 44k for home football last year, and they went 1-11. Think about that. Basketball has gotten a little better under current coach, .664 winning %. 8 combined mens/women cross country championships since 2000.

Most importantly, the message of having them come back, is absolutely invaluable to the Big XII after so many teams left. It's the school they want most, I guarantee it.

Reaction Score
lol no one is watching Rutty. But everyone that has cable in the NYC DMA is paying 20 cents a month for Rutty's Big Ten Network :)
That is until they dont. ESPN is such a bunch of idiots (and I mean that sincerely) they did not anticipate the disruption that streaming was going to cause to the cable business.

John Skipper acknowledged this and that’s why ACC is shaky. The ACC thought that linear television channels that appealed to broad markets (regional sports channels) was the wave of the future .

They had no idea about streaming, which is the exact opposite of market= subs at massive scale (Rutgers!)

Streaming and requires massive fan intensity. Think, UConn fans demanding SNY. That intensity is what UConn has going for it.

I also loathe acc network. They screwed it up and espn3 is a joke. Skipper was an acc guy (unc) and wanted to make the sec network for the ACC.

Reaction Score
Yeah, they average about 44k. They are a second fiddle to UK on the basketball side, but not really on the football side. One of the teams that will likely benefit from the portal with coaching sorted out.

I think we need to be cautious in reading too much into the Big XII talking about basketball being undervalued. @JohnFSilver Colorado has a football national championship and name brand. Even pre "Coach Prime" they averaged 44k for home football last year, and they went 1-11. Think about that. Basketball has gotten a little better under current coach, .664 winning %. 8 combined mens/women cross country championships since 2000.

Most importantly, the message of having them come back, is absolutely invaluable to the Big XII after so many teams left. It's the school they want most, I guarantee it.
Agree with brand. But is Colorado football a bigger brand than UConn women?

I loved Colorado as a kid, Hagan, Bienemy, but they stopped being great when Mcartney left and have been irrelevant since Neuheisel left.

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score

Also hat tip to you all noticing Florida State when I didn’t…guess they’re already gone to the P2 in my mind

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom