Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 379 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
If they could, I think that the B1G would take Notre Dame and Stanford....

Reaction Score
Interesting that Miami and Florida State are on the short list mentioned above, but not UVA, UNC, Duke, GT or Clemson.

I think a presence in Florida is good for the B1G. It would be good for the B1G to have a presence in Texas as well, but their isn’t much to pick from there.

My personal preference for the seven:

1. Notre Dame
2. Stanford
3. Florida State
4. Miami
5. Oregon
6. Washington
7. Cal

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Interesting that Miami and Florida State are on the short list mentioned above, but not UVA, UNC, Duke, GT or Clemson.

I think a presence in Florida is good for the B1G. It would be good for the B1G to have a presence in Texas as well, but their isn’t much to pick from there.

My personal preference for the seven:

1. Notre Dame
2. Stanford
3. Florida State
4. Miami
5. Oregon
6. Washington
7. Cal

Honestly, I think 48 teams is the end game, here. Kevin Warren said yesterday that AAU membership is not a requirement, but they would have to fit in with the academics of the conference. Here’s my 8:

1. ND
2. Stanford
3. Washington
4. Oregon

1-4 are pretty common choices and only ND could have issues leaving their current conference.

5. FSU
6. GT

I think 5-6 are important to the Big10 and less so to the SEC. The SEC would already have the top schools in each state and these 2 would give the Big10 a presence, albeit a lesser one.

7. Miami
8. Cal

7-8 are the longest shot. A private school that’s 3rd in popularity and an academic powerhouse that has poor major sports. I, personally would not want Cal nor Miami, but I see each of them as something Big10 presidents would like.

You are wondering where UNC and UVA are? If the Big10 and SEC are going to break up the ACC, neither conference can have everything. As has been floated here and other sites, there’s talk that UNC and UVA are so important to the SEC that they would take VT and Duke/NCST to get them. Let’s say they take VT and Duke, that puts them at 4.

1. UNC
2. UVA
3. VT
4. Duke

5. Clemson
6. Cincinnati

Clemson is a no brainer, but Cinci gives the SEC a foothold in a huge, football crazed state. UC is a huge, well decorated school with pretty good athletics. Cinci is about as southern as Lexington KY is and would fit right in.

The last 2, much like the Big10 are a little harder. Here’s my ideas.

7. Pitt
8. Colorado

Much like GT in Georgia, Pitt in the SEC is a solid #2 in a huge state. The football isn’t as good as it used to be in Pennsylvania, but owning Pittsburgh (a football crazed town) might be useful. Colorado is a reach, but it’s a new and large market that has a great football legacy. Oklahoma/Colorado games have history so you could play off of that.

The current crazy idea of breaking the ACC GOR is to disband the conference and you need 8 to do it. (I’m not saying you can, but that’s the talk right now). You will have to find homes for at least 8 teams. Could the SEC take all 8 to get to 24? Sure, but it would be wiser to spread the lesser teams between the 2 with the Big10 only getting ND and FSU as what would be somewhat valuable schools to the SEC. This would find homes for 9 ACC teams (plus ND). That would leave BC, Syracuse, NCST, Wake Forest and Louisville as schools left out. Could the SEC trade Colorado or Pitt for them? Sure, but I’m not sure they add much more than the other 2 do.

Edit: I’m not saying this will happen, just a scenario.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I wonder if Notre Dame would ask for a Florida school for recruiting purposes.

Reaction Score
I wonder if Notre Dame would ask for a Florida school for recruiting purpose

In the age of players getting paid I have to believe this is of diminishing importance.

Besides if a really good Florida player is that concerned about playing in his home state there are plenty of good options for him in Florida.

Reaction Score
It was an old Dean Smith tactic, to schedule a game near a player’s home town so their family and friends could see them in uniform. Easier to recruit a player away from home if you sold them on the idea they could still play locally at least once.

Though whether NIL and modernity has blown up that consideration, who knows. The Florida ACC schools could just be low-hanging fruit since the SEC already has the Gators.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Honestly, I think 48 teams is the end game, here. Kevin Warren said yesterday that AAU membership is not a requirement, but they would have to fit in with the academics of the conference. Here’s my 8:

1. ND
2. Stanford
3. Washington
4. Oregon

1-4 are pretty common choices and only ND could have issues leaving their current conference.

5. FSU
6. GT

I think 5-6 are important to the Big10 and less so to the SEC. The SEC would already have the top schools in each state and these 2 would give the Big10 a presence, albeit a lesser one.

7. Miami
8. Cal

7-8 are the longest shot. A private school that’s 3rd in popularity and an academic powerhouse that has poor major sports. I, personally would not want Cal nor Miami, but I see each of them as something Big10 presidents would like.

You are wondering where UNC and UVA are? If the Big10 and SEC are going to break up the ACC, neither conference can have everything. As has been floated here and other sites, there’s talk that UNC and UVA are so important to the SEC that they would take VT and Duke/NCST to get them. Let’s say they take VT and Duke, that puts them at 4.

1. UNC
2. UVA
3. VT
4. Duke

5. Clemson
6. Cincinnati

Clemson is a no brainer, but Cinci gives the SEC a foothold in a huge, football crazed state. UC is a huge, well decorated school with pretty good athletics. Cinci is about as southern as Lexington KY is and would fit right in.

The last 2, much like the Big10 are a little harder. Here’s my ideas.

7. Pitt
8. Colorado

Much like GT in Georgia, Pitt in the SEC is a solid #2 in a huge state. The football isn’t as good as it used to be in Pennsylvania, but owning Pittsburgh (a football crazed town) might be useful. Colorado is a reach, but it’s a new and large market that has a great football legacy. Oklahoma/Colorado games have history so you could play off of that.

The current crazy idea of breaking the ACC GOR is to disband the conference and you need 8 to do it. (I’m not saying you can, but that’s the talk right now). You will have to find homes for at least 8 teams. Could the SEC take all 8 to get to 24? Sure, but it would be wiser to spread the lesser teams between the 2 with the Big10 only getting ND and FSU as what would be somewhat valuable schools to the SEC. This would find homes for 9 ACC teams (plus ND). That would leave BC, Syracuse, NCST, Wake Forest and Louisville as schools left out. Could the SEC trade Colorado or Pitt for them? Sure, but I’m not sure they add much more than the other 2 do.

Edit: I’m not saying this will happen, just a scenario.

You are way overvaluing Oregon and Washington. It's already been put out there those schools don't have large concentrations of B1G alumni, aren't big recruiting areas and don't pull in many TV's.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
You are way overvaluing Oregon and Washington. It's already been put out there those schools don't have large concentrations of B1G alumni, aren't big recruiting areas and don't pull in many TV's.

Of course I am. I am going off the tweet from yesterday that said they were being looked at.

Reaction Score
I'll stop believing that the GOR is a binding tie when anyone, anywhere, challenges and beats a GOR...

It is such a simple contract. No mention of dissolution, no mention of damages, no mechanism for leaving a conference...just a straight assigning of rights for a period of time.

Reaction Score
Just cut a big check.. most estimates are between 125-200 million.

That would pay the exit fee....The ACC then could litigate the contract that was ancillary to the GOR in which the Irish contracted to join the ACC for football iof they joined a conference for such.

Re Notre Dame football...forget the GOR...one has to wonder how much the ACC would claim as damages for the Irish's breach of their contract that states that, if they join a conference, it would be the ACC ?

1...the damage might be the difference in media funding that the ACC might have received with Notre Dame as a full member for the next ten years. With media experts and ESPN subpoenaed.

2...I would love to see the Irish brass after David (using WVU lingo).

And...the ACC would still own all rights to non football sports.

Reaction Score
Here's some reporting from SI:
... "But leaving the ACC could be costly owing to the league's grant of rights agreement. Any school that leaves before 2036 would have to give its media revenue to the ACC through that year, or else pay a major exit fee rumored to be around $100 million.

But reports also indicate that Notre Dame could avoid some of that bill, which could be lower given that the school's football program wouldn't be part of that deal.

Any fee that ND would have to pay, the school would likely make back in a year or two of being in the Big Ten."

@goldendomer : is that your understanding? If so, I don't think the GOR would hold them back from leaving the ACC.

Reaction Score
That would pay the exit fee....The ACC then could litigate the contract that was ancillary to the GOR in which the Irish contracted to join the ACC for football iof they joined a conference for such.

Re Notre Dame football...forget the GOR...one has to wonder how much the ACC would claim as damages for the Irish's breach of their contract that states that, if they join a conference, it would be the ACC ?

1...the damage might be the difference in media funding that the ACC might have received with Notre Dame as a full member for the next ten years. With media experts and ESPN subpoenaed.

Be careful what you wish for dragging ESPN & ACC into depositions.

Do either want any of their past brought to light? Especially how ESPN dismantled the Big East or what happened when DeFilipo ran his mouth about how they did what they were told to by ESPN?

Litigating a Notre Dame exit may not be in ESPN or ACC best interest.

Reaction Score
Be careful what you wish for dragging ESPN & ACC into depositions.

Do either want any of their past brought to light? Especially how ESPN dismantled the Big East or what happened when DeFilipo ran his mouth about how they did what they were told to by ESPN?

Litigating a Notre Dame exit may not be in ESPN or ACC best interest.
Agreed - these things never get to the depo stage; they reach a settlement. The media cartels' lawyers and the NCAA's anti-trust related status are huge barriers to this ever happening.

Reaction Score
I think that a couple of ACC programs are set and ready...if the Irish set the precedence from walking from a contractual committment...

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

I can't claim that I know this is the case as I never saw any of the contracts but almost immediately after the USC-UCLA news broke a few credible journalists wrote that ND's agreement with the ACC on joining football ends the second ND is officially withdrawn from that conference in all other sports.

The exit fee (IIRC) is somewhere around $55 million. The one variable (which will be considerably smaller for ND as they aren't a football member) is a negotiated buyout of the GOR. That by itself could be anywhere from just shy of nine figures to a bit north of it. It also would likely set the market for where a full member's buyout would be (175%-225% of ND's perhaps?).

Reaction Score
Here's some reporting from SI:
... "But leaving the ACC could be costly owing to the league's grant of rights agreement. Any school that leaves before 2036 would have to give its media revenue to the ACC through that year, or else pay a major exit fee rumored to be around $100 million.

But reports also indicate that Notre Dame could avoid some of that bill, which could be lower given that the school's football program wouldn't be part of that deal.

Any fee that ND would have to pay, the school would likely make back in a year or two of being in the Big Ten."

@goldendomer : is that your understanding? If so, I don't think the GOR would hold them back from leaving the ACC.
That is my educated guess. But also what I have pieced together. We have the greatest chance to move, but it will be costly.

Reaction Score
A lot of BS is all over the internet by various noodlers regarding the Irish exit mechanism and the costs of that exit.

What we do know:

.....The ACC Exit fee is currently $108 million

.....Notre Dame was allowed to participate in the ACC under conditions

1---The signing of a GOR binding non football, except hockey, sports until 2037

2---The signing of an ancillary to that GOR that specified the number of football games that the Irish would schedule against ACC teams per season and guaranteed that, if he Irish joined a conference for football, it would be the ACC.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom