Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 399 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Geography isn’t much of a factor anymore with the Big10. I personally think FSU is at the top of the Big10’s wish list. I couldn’t tell you if the feeling is mutual with the school (seems fans are partial to the SEC), but my guess is that the Big10 would not turn down FSU. If the Noles were worried about partners, my guess is that could be fixed with Miami and GT.
If that would help Connecticut’s shot at it ACC bid considerably. Personally, I am hoping for an Big 10/SEC bidding war.

Reaction Score
A Land Grant university? A Carnegie R1 University? The 26th ranked public university? I mean those things all come to mind.
I know what UConn is. My point is that he isn't giving much credit to the B12 schools. While none are super great, they're not directional community colleges either.

Reaction Score
Nothing in realignment is done w/basketball in mind. Nothing. We are Exhibit A.

I don’t get the B12 momentum stuff. Once bevo and boomer leave, what’s left? A bunch of directional community colleges and Kansas? I get the P12 is reeling, but the B12? It’s the best of the AAC and MWC.

First off I want to say hi, new to the board. Also, this is a lazy narrative. Iowa State is not a "directional community college" they were just in the AAU. Cincinnati is a powerhouse research school as well with Top notch academics. The Big 12's academics are fine for the most part and saying it is the best of the AAC and MWC when it is #3 in ratings numbers and has a school playing for a football national championship and has been two the last 3 basketball national championships (winning the last 2) makes that attack silly. I think most UConn fans respect the Big 12 though they prefer the ACC for obvious reasons. I just had to respond to that attack on the Big 12. The same goes for the Big East, someone said that it would be a mid-major if UConn left. It was a great conference made better with the addition of UConn. And if/when UConn gets a P5 invite the Big East will still be a great conference. UConn would be a tough loss but the Big Eas would still be a P6.

Reaction Score
Geography isn’t much of a factor anymore with the Big10. I personally think FSU is at the top of the Big10’s wish list. I couldn’t tell you if the feeling is mutual with the school (seems fans are partial to the SEC), but my guess is that the Big10 would not turn down FSU. If the Noles were worried about partners, my guess is that could be fixed with Miami and GT.
Billy is correct. If given a choice between the SEC and Big Ten, the majority of Florida State alumni/fans would choose the SEC. However, there is a decent sized minority that would vote for the Big Ten. My guess is the current split is something like 70% to 30% (plus or minus 5%).

The thing is that most of those who prefer the SEC understand the university might not have a choice. And nearly all of them would prefer to move to the Big Ten rather than stay in the ACC.

Reaction Score
I think the BiG and SEC have a "wink and a nod" to stay largely north and south. They know they need each other to carve out the best markets for themselves. So I don't think FSU will have much choice in the matter assuming the GOR issue can ever be addressed.

Reaction Score
I know what UConn is. My point is that he isn't giving much credit to the B12 schools. While none are super great, they're not directional community colleges either.
You have a brilliant child in hs. Where are they applying - Iowa state? Ok state? KSU? Baylor? BYU? Ucf? Houston?

You’re right, I’m giving them no credit. In fairness, I’m giving their academic prowess as much credit as I do your comments about basketball - no one f’g cares about Bball in terms of conf realignment. NOONE.

Reaction Score
You have a brilliant child in hs. Where are they applying - Iowa state? Ok state? KSU? Baylor? BYU? Ucf? Houston?

You’re right, I’m giving them no credit. In fairness, I’m giving their academic prowess as much credit as I do your comments about basketball - no one f’g cares about Bball in terms of conf realignment. NOONE.
So you're criticizing academic institutions based on athletics? Because those are quality academic institutions but you're criticizing them because of conferences. I mean Iowa State was an AAU school as recently as last year and they would still qualify as one now but they withdrew on their own. You criticize the University of Cincinnati's academics but they are considered a top tier academics institution and are likely one of the next 2 or 3 schools to be invited to the AAU when it expands again.

Reaction Score

Dumb argument, but a truly brilliant child isn't going to any school that has a real football/basketball team. Ivy League schools, MIT, CIT, Johns Hopkins, maybe Stanford. Those kids aren't going to UNC or Ohio State.

Reaction Score
So you're criticizing academic institutions based on athletics? Because those are quality academic institutions but you're criticizing them because of conferences. I mean Iowa State was an AAU school as recently as last year and they would still qualify as one now but they withdrew on their own. You criticize the University of Cincinnati's academics but they are considered a top tier academics institution and are likely one of the next 2 or 3 schools to be invited to the AAU when it expands again.

Iowa State is a good uni...but ranked by USNWR far below Clemson, Georgia, NC State and below USF, Auburn, South Carolina, and Tennessee....

Reaction Score

I didn't say that basketball was the driver of conference realignment - you just dragged that in.

You were the one broad-stroking how the B12 is so awful academically... I would be open minded to consider any institution of higher learning. It would depend on so many factors and I would imagine that a brilliant kid could thrive in so many environments.

Reaction Score
Iowa State is a good uni...but ranked by USNWR far below Clemson, Georgia, NC State and below USF, Auburn, South Carolina, and Tennessee....

Which are all good schools. Also USNWR is more of a popularity poll as opposed to a real technical poll.

CL82

Reaction Score
Which are all good schools. Also USNWR is more of a popularity poll as opposed to a real technical poll.
I don’t know if it’s a popularity poll, per se, but its metrics are easily, and often, manipulated by schools. It is a popular reference though.

Reaction Score
Iowa State was an AAU school as recently as last year and they would still qualify as one now but they withdrew on their own.
I have nothing against Iowa State, but let's be real. ISU was probably under membership review or about to be. We don't know for certain because that information isn't public.

Regardless, based on ISU's very public criticisms of the AAU's membership criteria, it seems likely that university leaders minimally saw the proverbial writing on the wall and chose to exit voluntarily early like Syracuse rather than be expelled later like Nebraska.

You criticize the University of Cincinnati's academics but they are considered a top tier academics institution and are likely one of the next 2 or 3 schools to be invited to the AAU when it expands again.
I also have nothing against the the University of Cincinnati. But there are a LOT of non-AAU schools that have far better research and academic profiles.

Anyway, this is a key tweet thread so I will post nothing else off topic.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
This is turning into non-key tweets. I feel like there shouldn’t be any commentary on key tweets-leave it for tweets only. When I see a notification for this thread, I (and everyone else) should expect to see a key tweet.

Reaction Score
I have nothing against Iowa State, but let's be real. ISU was probably under membership review or about to be. We don't know for certain because that information isn't public.

Regardless, based on ISU's very public criticisms of the AAU's membership criteria, it seems likely that university leaders minimally saw the proverbial writing on the wall and chose to exit voluntarily early like Syracuse rather than be expelled later like Nebraska.

I also have nothing against the the University of Cincinnati. But there are a LOT of non-AAU schools that have far better research and academic profiles.

Anyway, this is a key tweet thread so I will post nothing else off topic.

Iowa State left because the AAU shifted from heavy research requirements to medical requirements. Then it started to punish schools who had satellite campuses or didn't have these research facilities on particular campuses. That hurt Nebraska and cost them their AAU status. Iowa State actually maintained these requirements and likely would have retained their AAU status for at least 10 more years but grew tired in the AAU's academic shifts and suddenly stringent policies.

The part about the University of Cincinnati is not true that's your opinion, Cincinnati's profile would make it an upper mid-tier AAU school. That came from then-Cincinnati president and current Michigan president Santa Ono. The University of Cincinnati is actually a better fit for the "new" AAU vision than Iowa State as well as universities fighting dir nembership due to it's growth in the medical field.

These are relevant to this thread because some if criticizing and even bashed Big 12 academics.

Reaction Score
I didn't say that basketball was the driver of conference realignment - you just dragged that in.

You were the one broad-stroking how the B12 is so awful academically... I would be open minded to consider any institution of higher learning. It would depend on so many factors and I would imagine that a brilliant kid could thrive in so many environments.
This is your quote - keep up

B12 momentum is real - arguably the best basketball conference for the past few years (with multiple recent natty's)

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Iowa State left because the AAU shifted from heavy research requirements to medical requirements. Then it started to punish schools who had satellite campuses or didn't have these research facilities on particular campuses. That hurt Nebraska and cost them their AAU status. Iowa State actually maintained these requirements and likely would have retained their AAU status for at least 10 more years but grew tired in the AAU's academic shifts and suddenly stringent policies.

The part about the University of Cincinnati is not true that's your opinion, Cincinnati's profile would make it an upper mid-tier AAU school. That came from then-Cincinnati president and current Michigan president Santa Ono. The University of Cincinnati is actually a better fit for the "new" AAU vision than Iowa State as well as universities fighting dir nembership due to it's growth in the medical field.

These are relevant to this thread because some if criticizing and even bashed Big 12 academics.
AAU is more upstater's game but I thought the main dig was that they are heavy on ag research.

Reaction Score
This is your quote - keep up

B12 momentum is real - arguably the best basketball conference for the past few years (with multiple recent natty's)
Dude, where did I say basketball drives conference realignment? Why don't you try to find that and keep up/not twist what people say.

Reaction Score
AAU is more upstater's game but I thought the main dig was that they are heavy on ag research.
They used to be but they've switched from that to general research similar to what schools like Cincinnati and UAB are known for which is why they are likely the next AAU invites. This is why they put Nebraska on a 10 year probation and then eventually stripped them of AAU status. Now the AAU is starting to lean hard on medical facilities and research as well which fits the profile of a Cincinnati and UAB and hurts schools like Nebraska, Syracuse and Iowa State which is why they were kicked out of or simply left the AAU.

CL82

Reaction Score
Any tweets out there?
GIF by Emma Darvick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr