Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 341 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score

It makes sense for the Mountain West to be a west coast conference and the American to be an East Coast one. The Big 12 is the only one that crosses the entire nation and that will change someday.

Reaction Score
I don't get the love for UTSA. They have no brand nationally.

In terms of non-P5 schools in Texas, the brands go as follows:
7. SMU
8. Rice
9. UTEP
10. North Texas
11. UTSA
12. Texas State
UTSA has been D1 for 10 years. They at least have potential to grow.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
UTSA has been D1 for 10 years. They at least have potential to grow.
The AAC doesn't have years to wait for potential: they have weeks to make a decision.

Reaction Score
Yeah I don't see SMU leaving the AAC. They are now one of the premier teams. They are going to get most of the TV slots in both main sports. It's Memphis, SMU and then ??
The issue is whether you want to be on a sinking ship. If you're comfortable that you'll always find a landing spot then maybe it's ok. Otw, you might want to take a lifeboat when it's offered.

Reaction Score
The AAC doesn't have years to wait for potential: they have weeks to make a decision.
Yeah it'd be better to take a known quantity that stinks and will always stink like Rice.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Yeah it'd be better to take a known quantity that stinks and will always stink like Rice.
Rice is a top 20 school: basically an Ivy. And they are in Houston. Navy leaves the conference if a 2nd Texas school isn't added. The other four FBS Texas schools not in the P5 or AAC do not have as much of a brand, and none of them are very good at football either.

Reaction Score
Mountain West will lose Boise St, San Diego St, probably UNLV, in 2 years when Texas, and Oklahoma leave. Big 12 will pick up those 3 and probably 1 other.
I believe Memphis has to be in the mix.

Reaction Score
i like independence for football better than AAC for football only, especially now that more of the bigger brands have bolted the AAC

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Rice is a top 20 school: basically an Ivy. And they are in Houston. Navy leaves the conference if a 2nd Texas school isn't added. The other four FBS Texas schools not in the P5 or AAC do not have as much of a brand, and none of them are very good at football either.
'In 2010, it was ranked first in the world in materials science research by Times Higher Education'
materials science excellence is a distinguishing technological difference between us, and the rest of the world, and it ain't even close. cf, composites used in a p and w turbofan blade, stealth coatings, and, ummm, marshmellow fluff.
six plus billion in their endowment, while being 'the second-smallest school, measured by undergraduate enrollment, competing in NCAA Division I FBS football.'
they played the super bowl here,
1200x0.jpg
one of the absolute best values in higher education on planet earth, and, it's in Houston, the fourth largest city in the USA, on the road to becoming gigunda in the decades ahead.
and, on another note, doesn't University of Wyoming play in the MWC, which some here think might be on a G5 path? it would seem, as currently constituted, that it has already passed.......the AAC.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That reads in line with what I expect. Temple is going to dig their heels in that the AAC is OK but the author gives away the secret: their fanbase also doesn't care when UCF or Cincy comes to town.

How is that going to change when it's UAB or Marshall? The marquee home will be SMU. Yikes.

The basketball program is already on life support in a now 1-2 bid league and you're asking an alum with no head coaching experience to save it. 2021 class of 3 kids ranked behind GW and no 2022 commits.

If football can't get back to 7-8 wins consistently in 2-3 years their fans will want out.

Reaction Score
That reads in line with what I expect. Temple is going to dig their heels in that the AAC is OK but the author gives away the secret: their fanbase also doesn't care when UCF or Cincy comes to town.

How is that going to change when it's UAB or Marshall? The marquee home will be SMU. Yikes.

… and I think their Lincoln Financial lease is creeping towards $3m/year.

Reaction Score

The basketball program is already on life support in a now 1-2 bid league and you're asking an alum with no head coaching experience to save it. 2021 class of 3 kids ranked behind GW and no 2022 commits.

If football can't get back to 7-8 wins consistently in 2-3 years their fans will want out.

Owls about to get a fresh set of eyes/perspective. Big background.

Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom