Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 335 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
Who is "vehemently" defending Rutgers?

I point out that your picture is pregame...that is all....don't get your socks wadded up.

And you will note that I was the poster who posted the graphic of declining attendance.

I care less about Rutgers attendance...but do note that nobody reports attendance accurately.

Yep...an FSU fan on a UConn board...but I still grok.

A little like Heinlein's a Stranger in a Strange Land.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Who is "vehemently" defending Rutgers?

I point out that your picture is pregame...that is all....don't get your socks wadded up.

And you will note that I was the poster who posted the graphic of declining attendance.

I care less about Rutgers attendance...but do note that nobody reports attendance accurately.

Yep...an FSU fan on a UConn board...but I still grok.

A little like Heinlein's a Stranger in a Strange Land.
I never read any of Robert A. Heinlein's books. Are they worth it?

Reaction Score
CL82...it was high culture a half century ago...like reading a sci fi Catcher in the Rye.

I wouldn't read it now...I'd as soon read Silas Marner or Atlas Shrugged (yech).

But, to be culturally literate...you should at least Cliff Note it.

Reaction Score
FBS schools must “Average at least 15,000 in actual or paid attendance for all home football contests over a rolling two-year period.” Actual attendance is defined as scanned attendance; the number of people who enter the game with a ticket.

Paid attendance is a little more complex. In order for tickets to be counted as paid attendance, they must be sold for one-third of the price established at the start of the season or if a ticket sold for less than the one-third threshold is used to attend the game. People working at the game, such as vendors, security, etc., are not counted for paid attendance nor are players, coaches or cheerleaders.

Reaction Score
I think that you can count on UConn using paid attendance...not scanned...to report to the NCAA.

The scanned attendance last season averaged 10,032...

"The school typically reports tickets distributed as the attendance for games, which was around 21,000 per game — certainly not good, but higher than the 2017 season. However, an average of 14,000 people actually showed up to games that year, 4,000 more than in 2018."

I suspect that from Rutgers to FSU to Michigan, the number reported is the one that looks best.

CL82

Reaction Score
CL82...it was high culture a half century ago...like reading a sci fi Catcher in the Rye.

I wouldn't read it now...I'd as soon read Silas Marner or Atlas Shrugged (yech).

But, to be culturally literate...you should at least Cliff Note it.
Do you have a favorite, or at least a least disliked.

A lot of writers cite RAH as an influence. I may get around to it.

Reaction Score
Oh, I went through my Henlein and Asimov phase early...my early 20's.

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress is much in the vein of Stranger...I liked his short stories in Analog Magazine better.

I read now for pure recreation...love Dave Robicheaux novels by James Lee Burke...his setting of place, the use of sound and visual imagery I like a lot.

His characters are more than a cardboard cutout...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You also may like Louise Penny...Her books feature Inspector Armand Gamache...set in the small towns of Quebec province...notably Three Pines.

Typical who done its...but with a nice writing flair.

CL82

Reaction Score
Oh, I went through my Henlein and Asimov phase early...my early 20's.

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress is much in the vein of Stranger...I liked his short stories in Analog Magazine better.

I read now for pure recreation...love Dave Robicheaux novels by James Lee Burke...his setting of place, the use of sound and visual imagery I like a lot.

His characters are more than a cardboard cutout...
I just finished the Scalzi Old Man's War series (plus a couple more), which was a good summer read. He cites Henlein as a role model. I may go read one. It's been a summer of fiction for me. I read Scalzi, Martin's Dreamscapes and the most recent Lee Childs most recent Reacher novel (good read if you like the series). I'll probably switchback to nonfiction in the fall but I have time to knock off one or two more before then.

Reaction Score
I read only "the Door into Summer" by RAH, in HS - about a guy in suspended animation "waking up" some 30 years in the future although I did see the movies "Starship Troopers" and "the Puppet Masters" based on his books of the same name. I recall seeing the book "Revolt in 2100" about a 2nd American Revolution (against Communist China who had taken control of North America). I read the Ray Bradbury anthology "R is for Rocket" and did enjoy most of the stories (fantasy more than technical sci fi) but A. E. van Vogt was my favorite short story writer, in particular "Ressurection" and "the Replicators" ("the creature was mighty but it could be killed - again and again and again"). The late Forest J. Ackerman of "Famous Monsters of Filmland" (and the phrase "sci fi") fame was a friend of AE but some didn't like his more hard core style. Novels included "Slan" and "Voyage of the Space Beagle", which introduced an alien creature like the red wasp - the idea later appeared in the "Alien" sci fi horror film series - I understand there was an out of court settlement.

Last edited:

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score

ACC officials have typically done a nice job with our games when their teams are in town. Only 2 bad calls I can remember.

2009 game vs. UNC - phantom holding call in the endzone gifted UNC the go ahead safety. We lost by 2.

2016 home game vs. UVA - obvious late hit on us not called in the first quarter in the red zone as UVA was driving. UVA had to settle for a FG which was missed. We won by 3.

Reaction Score
The ACC guys are death on targeting calls (if it looks anything close, well, call it)..are puzzling about when they do or do not call pass interference...and are also very inconsistent on holding calls.

A hands to the face will get a flag...any flinch will get an illegal motion penalty.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The ACC guys are death on targeting calls (if it looks anything close, well, call it)..are puzzling about when they do or do not call pass interference...and are also very inconsistent on holding calls.

A hands to the face will get a flag...any flinch will get an illegal motion penalty.

Seriously?

Hands to the face is a legitimate penalty and nine times out of ten, flinching is illegal motion.

Targeting calls get reviewed. Anything close SHOULD be called. 99.24% of these young men are 18-23 years old only 1% (at best) get drafted, let alone will go on to get paid a living wage to play football for any length of time. It's quite an entertaining game, but equally violent. There is no sane reason to encourage these guys to scramble each others' squashes than they have already signed up for.

Reaction Score
There are hands to the face on every other play...like holding on every other play....the refs choose when to call....just saying that in the ACC, hands to the face are almost called every time...linemen learn quickly.

Flinching is illegal motion...I have noticed over the years that conferences call a "flinch differently"...some crews don't call unless it is an obvious bob or movement of feet....others will call a slight flinch if it is discernible.

Reaction Score
The targetting calls that I object to is where the defender is going for the tackle lower than the chest and the RB lowers his head and body to attack...and the defender gets called when the heads collide.

Husky25

Reaction Score
The targetting calls that I object to is where the defender is going for the tackle lower than the chest and the RB lowers his head and body to attack...and the defender gets called when the heads collide.
If the defender's helmet would have ended up in the RB's (in your hypothetical) numbers, the defender would technically be leading with his helmet = targeting.

Calls go both ways and mostly even out. Perhaps it's not the officials' fault. Like UConn, maybe Florida State has simply been sub-par for the past decade.

Reaction Score
Hardly ever, ever, do you see a RB called for lowering his head...it just is not called.

Your sub par comment is off subject...IMHO...

FSU has been down, I agree, but it has only been three seasons that have passed since they finished Top 10 AP in 2016.

And were ranked in the Top 15 in 2015, Top 3 in 2014, #1 in 2013.

Subpar for decade?...An exaggeration or lack of knowledge, I reckon......OK...subpar last three seasons, I'll buy that. ..not sure that I would compare to UConn yet.

Husky25

Reaction Score
The targeting penalty states that "No player shall target and make forcible contact to the head or neck area of a defenseless opponent with the helmet, forearm, hand, fist, elbow or shoulder....When in question, it is a foul."

I suppose the penalty can be called on either side of the ball, but the offense generally gets the benefit of the doubt. A ball carrier lowers his head and bowls his pads to his helmet to protect his neck. The defensive player is typically looking directly at the ball carrier and is therefore not considered defenseless.

Good players with disciplined technique generally don't draw a large number of penalties.

Reaction Score
Many times I see the defender lower his body for a text book frontal tackle around the thighs...RB's will often then lower their heads and attempt to bull through them...

Having the low center of gravity is beneficial both ways.

Not many targetting calls are called relative to the number of plays....but I have never seen a RB called on a head to head collision. You are right in that it is the offensive player more often being "protected".

Husky25

Reaction Score
IIRC, the Key Tweets thread was for news that affected UConn directly. I'm thinking the Non-key tweets thread is more apropo here.
I thought key tweets were for realignment news from reputable reporters.

Non-Key Tweets was for speculative types tweets from The WV Dude, Fluguar, Hank the Tank, etc.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom