Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 277 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
TODD TURNER? How the hell did they decide to get this guy to weigh in?

"If it weren't for geography, I think they would be in great shape [for inclusion], I do," said Todd Turner, who was UConn AD from 1987-90. "I don't think the status of their football program will be a big issue because they've been good before and they have the infrastructure in place with a good young coach [Bob Diaco]. They have invested in the sport. Their budget is very competitive, perhaps even better than some existing Big 12 schools.​

Oh my god, this staggeringly awful on so many levels.

1) What does a guy who ran the athletic department 30 years ago know about the college landscape today?

2) Really? Again with Geography? .

3) REALLY? TODD TURNER? You couldn't find a past UConn AD from even the BCS era to weigh in?
Hathaway, perhaps? I think not.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Getting to UConn is really rugged? Did he walk from the airport?

CL82

Reaction Score
Warde Manual, Lew Perkins perhaps? The current AD at Michigan and former AD at Kansas (Big 12 member)?
Manual, definitely. Perkins? I don't think so, even though he was great at UConn. His departure from Kansas wasn't under the best of terms.

Reaction Score
Manual, definitely. Perkins? I don't think so, even though he was great at UConn. His departure from Kansas wasn't under the best of terms.

Right but the point is that Perkins can speak to what UConn brings to the table since he was our AD 10 years ago and add some insight as to whether or not KU and others in the Big 12 would be interested.

Interviewing the guy who was AD at UConn when we were playing Yankee Conference Football and playing basketball at the Greer Fieldhouse isn't exactly an expert source here.

CL82

Reaction Score
Right but the point is that Perkins can speak to what UConn brings to the table since he was our AD 10 years ago and add some insight as to whether or not KU and others in the Big 12 would be interested.

Interviewing the guy who was AD at UConn when we were playing Yankee Conference Football and playing basketball at the Greer Fieldhouse isn't exactly an expert source here.
Yep, I agree as to Turner, not so much as to Lew, even though I like the guy.

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
Line Turner up next to Trammel and Mcawfulstache. I got weiner punches for all of them. I mean how far down the line did the courant have to reach to get to him. 26 years ago this douchenozzle's office was in a stall on horsebarn hill. And why in gods good name does the courant publish poor press on their hometown team. If i didnt steal the newspaper everyday i would cancel my subscription immediately.

Reaction Score
The best he could find is the AD from 26 years ago? Couldn't even get Big Lou or a recent higher-up in the AD to talk?

Reaction Score
Altavilla just got a piece of my mind. Back to wnba coverage you hack!

You only think you did;)

Btwn him and the Daily Campus kid... we don't need enemies.

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
You only think you did;)

Btwn him and the Daily Campus kid... we don't need enemies.

This some jedi mind trick medic? Did i email you instead of him? Im so confused. Im distraught. I cant think straight. Im gonna go kick my dog.

Reaction Score
This some jedi mind trick medic? Did i email you instead of him? Im so confused. Im distraught. I cant think straight. Im gonna go kick my dog.

LOL... thought you might have taken the Courant comment section route. Direct email is more fun!

Reaction Score
Some of you guys are babies. The guy answered a question. If you put a gun to my head, I'd say we probably get skipped over, too. I love UConn. But it's a long, long ways away. If we were 1,000 miles closer, I'd love our chances. But we aren't.

The Big 12 isn't going to make their decision based on what Todd Turner thinks. Heck, I'm not sure if they even know what they're going to base it on. But the amount of belly-aching over this non-news is just hilarious. It's fine. We'll keep pushing on. We'll make our case. And we'll get in or we won't.

But either way, we're gonna keep winning championships and growing and being great because we're UConn. That's what we do.

Reaction Score
Some of you guys are babies. The guy answered a question. If you put a gun to my head, I'd say we probably get skipped over, too. I love UConn. But it's a long, long ways away. If we were 1,000 miles closer, I'd love our chances. But we aren't.

The Big 12 isn't going to make their decision based on what Todd Turner thinks. Heck, I'm not sure if they even know what they're going to base it on. But the amount of belly-aching over this non-news is just hilarious. It's fine. We'll keep pushing on. We'll make our case. And we'll get in or we won't.

But either way, we're gonna keep winning championships and growing and being great because we're UConn. That's what we do.

The gripe, at least my gripe, isn't in Turner or his opinion, it's in John Altavella presenting a guy who served as AD from 1987-1990 as a legitimate source on present day UConn athletics and Big 12 Expansion.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
If we don't get in, it's because the Big XII has already made their minds up on who they're inviting and have known for some time. Because we have the best market numbers. BHV has already told them that. We have the best academics (of any serious candidate). That's been laid out in different rankings and whatnot. We have the best athletic programs overall. The NCAA record books say so.

None of us will be in the room so we won't see how the presentation is delivered, but the content will be there. If the XII decides based on numbers, they can't not choose us.

If they don't choose us, they will have already gone into our presentation knowing they won't be choosing us.

Reaction Score
If we don't get in, it's because the Big XII has already made their minds up on who they're inviting and have known for some time. Because we have the best market numbers. BHV has already told them that. We have the best academics (of any serious candidate). That's been laid out in different rankings and whatnot. We have the best athletic programs overall. The NCAA record books say so.

None of us will be in the room so we won't see how the presentation is delivered, but the content will be there. If the XII decides based on numbers, they can't not choose us.

If they don't choose us, they will have already gone into our presentation knowing they won't be choosing us.

This is why the whole process has been weird and absurd. They already have all the information they could ever want or need.

Reaction Score
Nothing against you Ldandy but he really sticks up for UConn on the Land Thieves board. I wandered over there today and was happy someone was spreading our gospel. He has some verve. We should be more tolerant at times here. Perhaps I'm being schemed but don't think so.

I guess time will tell. If he posts here without trolling then he should be allowed to post. The fact that he constantly needs to reinvent himself under new names is somewhat telling for me. I'm just skeptical that someone who spent so much time running down Uconn and its fans would suddenly become its champion. He could just as easily be trolling Land Thieves and the fans there that hate the idea of adding schools on the east coast.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
This is why the whole process has been weird and absurd. They already have all the information they could ever want or need.

Yup. I imagine other conferences have had the numbers too and have done all of this behind closed doors. So very, very weird.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I have no idea what consensus criteria the XII will arrive at to determine it's new members and I wouldn't believe them if they told me. The process is that messed up.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Because sometimes you just want to get away, and you hope that doesn't include seeing Tulane on your TV screen.

I deleted the post, but I have to throw you a like for that.

Reaction Score
Someone remind me - are these schools presenting only in front of Bowlsby and a couple of other people or are all of the Big 12 presidents going to be there as well?

Reaction Score
Someone remind me - are these schools presenting only in front of Bowlsby and a couple of other people or are all of the Big 12 presidents going to be there as well?
I believe it is just Bowlsby and the 3 member expansion committee, which are 3 presidents ( WVU, Oklahoma, and Kansas State)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom