Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 320 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Cincinnati has a lot of positives, but a 76% acceptance rate and a 28% 4-year graduation rate would be near or at the bottom of AAU schools.

If I remember correctly, Cincinnati does a tremendous amount of research, but a lot isn't granted via peer review. I could be wrong, but that's the sticking point on their AAU status.

Reaction Score
Cincinnati has a lot of positives, but a 76% acceptance rate and a 28% 4-year graduation rate would be near or at the bottom of AAU schools.

It's all about perspective. Most of Cincinnati's programs are 5-year programs so their 4-year graduation rate is low...

pj

Reaction Score
If I remember correctly, Cincinnati does a tremendous amount of research, but a lot isn't granted via peer review. I could be wrong, but that's the sticking point on their AAU status.

Cincy has a large research-oriented hospital/medical school that brings in a lot of federal research money, but apart from that they are not strong.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Have there been any Tim Brando sightings at the ACC media days??

Reaction Score
Cincinnati is way underrated in USNews as well. They are median or above a large number of AAU schools, but are still waiting on an invite. If you do research into AAU the most likely schools to be next are Cincy, UAB, USF type schools.
USNWR rates UCONN above Cincinnati for medical research as well as primary care and clinical grad work.

Reaction Score
Interview with John Swofford...

Q. In a more micro sense for the ACC, as 2023 comes up (when TV deals for the Big Ten, Big 12 and Pac-12 start to expire) and we have the specter of possible changes in alignment, obviously your membership has been secured well beyond that, but do you have any fears of what that might look like over the next six years as there could be some movement? Especially at a time when college conferences have gone from small groups of like-minded schools to larger marketing partnerships.

A. My guess is whatever comes at that point in time, and far be it from me to predict that, I don’t see it affecting the ACC very much. If Notre Dame wanted to take a step to come in football, I think the conference would readily have that conversation. Then you’re maybe looking at a 16th school to have balanced football divisions. Beyond that, my guess is that this league will, in 2035-36, look a lot like it does today in terms of its membership. Elsewhere? I think we’ll just have to wait and see. I never thought our league would be 15 (teams). Seriously. There was a time when I started seeing that there was benefit to that, and not only benefit but necessity. But when I took the job 20 years ago I didn’t see that. I thought maybe 12. And then things happen and things change in the landscape and the marketplace and what you need to do in order to keep the conference at the most prominent level. So those things change. If there becomes this sense of having 20-member conferences-slash-associations, and there are fewer of them, long term I guess that could come into play. In terms of our own membership, and in the period of time you asked me about, that would be my answer in terms of us.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
More Swoffordism:

I think there will continue to be a look at the size of the NCAA, the national organization and what role it continues to have. Whether the gaps in conferences and institutions that play at different levels, whether it makes sense to keep all of them together under one umbrella or not. At this particular time, I still think it does make sense to do that and what we’ve tried to do is find the appropriate subgroups to keep it under one umbrella to try and benefit everybody. Twenty years from now if that’s still possible, I don’t know. I’m not that much of a visionary in that sense.

Reaction Score
Dennis Dodd‏ @dennisdoddcbs 5m 5 minutes ago
Delany: "We didn't mean to," upset, "the world," in expansion.

Delany: ACC expansion made B10 feel "cramped." "More risk in staying where we were." Maryland, Rutgers "sleeping giants."

Dennis Dodd‏ @dennisdoddcbs 3m 3 minutes ago
"If you go much beyond where we are, it's more like an association," Delany on further expansion. Hearing this more and more.

Dennis Dodd‏ @dennisdoddcbs 2m 2 minutes ago
More and more administrators telling me really hard to go beyond 14. We may have reached peak expansion, super conferences.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Delany: "We didn't mean to," upset, "the world," in expansion.

Delany: ACC expansion made B10 feel "cramped." "More risk in staying where we were." Maryland, Rutgers "sleeping giants."

Dennis Dodd‏ @dennisdoddcbs 3m 3 minutes ago
"If you go much beyond where we are, it's more like an association," Delany on further expansion. Hearing this more and more.

Dennis Dodd‏ @dennisdoddcbs 2m 2 minutes ago
More and more administrators telling me really hard to go beyond 14. We may have reached peak expansion, super conferences.
This is what I've been saying. If you go past 14, it isn't really a conference anymore. It's a conglomerate.

Reaction Score
USNWR rates UCONN above Cincinnati for medical research as well as primary care and clinical grad work.

I'm not disputing your numbers, just interested in a link which shows these comparisons. I know UCin has $200-million-plus/year in pediatric research alone. Cincinnati Children's Hospital, ranked #3 in the country, the UCin's pediatric department.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom