Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 283 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
Wow. I would have put good money on the fact that UConn and BYU were locks for expansion when this all started, due to it being done primarily for tv money purposes. But if this backlash gets enough traction, it looks like UConn / Cincy will be the favorites in my opinion...
Houston's getting in one way or another. If it's only two I think we're screwed and it's UC/UH.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Houston's getting in one way or another. If it's only two I think we're screwed and it's UC/UH.

Houston may get in, but it's not going to come at the expense of UCONN (my opinion). This is about TV money, and we're the biggest dog out there...

Reaction Score
Houston may get in, but it's not going to come at the expense of UCONN (my opinion). This is about TV money, and we're the biggest dog out there...
TV money is absolutely not the #1 factor, as has been shown with ESPN's failed Longhorn Network and their subsequent rejection of a Big 12 Network. The cavalier attitude some have here that we're stone cold getting in over Houston is baffling.

Reaction Score

Unfortunately it's about tv money that is already negotiated thru 2023-24. Counting on this group to based anything on subjective tv markets is iffy.

Reaction Score
Wow. I would have put good money on the fact that UConn and BYU were locks for expansion when this all started, due to it being done primarily for tv money purposes. But if this backlash gets enough traction, it looks like UConn / Cincy will be the favorites in my opinion...
I pray that you're right, but Houston is going to be a big hurdle to jump.

Reaction Score

From your keyboard to God's ears, BUT in the zany world of CR anything can happen.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don't care who the 2nd one is, as long as UConn is the first. :)
I don't care who the first one is as long as we are one of the first two.

Last edited:

CL82

Reaction Score
TV money is absolutely not the #1 factor, as has been shown with ESPN's failed Longhorn Network and their subsequent rejection of a Big 12 Network. The cavalier attitude some have here that we're stone cold getting in over Houston is baffling.
This is all about TV money, but the Big 12 contract gives them that regardless of who is chosen.

I'm not sure that you can do look at it as a list of candidates in order of preference. I think that the better analysis is combinations that have 8 votes. Looking at that way, Houston doesn't happen as 1 of two, but has a great shot as one of four. UConn has weak chances as one of two (UConn, UC or UConn, BYU) but has a decent shot as one of four (UConn, UC, BYU, Houston.)

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
If I had to take a guess, the currents are against BYU and against Houston and there just isn't enough current for UConn/Cincy/whoever.

My hunch is that they come out with a statement in October saying that they're going to table things for a year and then just never get back to it.

Reaction Score
If I had to take a guess, the currents are against BYU and against Houston and there just isn't enough current for UConn/Cincy/whoever.

My hunch is that they come out with a statement in October saying that they're going to table things for a year and then just never get back to it.
You and Tramel agree:

UConnDan97

Reaction Score

If it wasn't about tv money, then the announcement for Big12 expansion would not have taken place 2 days after the ACC network deal got done. Don't feel baffled... ;)

Reaction Score
Screw the Big 12. Let's add ODU and NJIT and we'll own the Bos-Wash megalopolis.

CL82

Reaction Score
I'd take no expansion and be grateful that we aren't left behind in a decimated conference yet again, but I can't see the B12 presidents turning down the cash. In my view, absent concrete assurances for more cash in the future, how, as a college president, do you turn your back on an annuity worth $10 million (+) annually.

Reaction Score
If it wasn't about tv money, then the announcement for Big12 expansion would not have taken place 2 days after the ACC network deal got done. Don't feel baffled... ;)
If it was about TV money, plans for a Big 12 Network wouldn't have been nixed.

CL82

Reaction Score
I think Dan is referring to the anti-dilution clause that automatically raises the TV money the B12 receives if it adds new teams. It has nothing to do with the network.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score

Well, feel free to let me know what you think the driving factors are if it is not ultimately tv money. They already have their exemption for not needing a 12-team conference championship game, so they aren't expanding for that. They aren't poaching teams from leagues that threaten their survival, so they aren't expanding for that.

I understand that they will have a "baked in" increase for a 2-team expansion, regardless of which 2 teams they choose (I believe that's correct), but it will MOST CERTAINLY matter who they select as it pertains to their next contract. You can bank on that...

CL82

Reaction Score
Well, feel free to let me know what you think the driving factors are if it is not ultimately tv money. They already have their exemption for not needing a 12-team conference championship game, so they aren't expanding for that. They aren't poaching teams from leagues that threaten their survival, so they aren't expanding for that.

I understand that they will have a "baked in" increase for a 2-team expansion, regardless of which 2 teams they choose (I believe that's correct), but it will MOST CERTAINLY matter who they select as it pertains to their next contract. You can bank on that...
Yep, except it is for up to four teams.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

I definitely can see an impasse coming....which I think will result in a pause which could run 2 weeks or as long as nearly a year, and then finally an agreement is made and four teams are added. This will provide a little time for the B12 cornerstone schools to shop the other conferences for an exit in 2024 and if they don't get a warm feeling, I would expect resistance to the four school add to finally crumble. The B12 doesn't have a very good future as a 10 school conference centered in one super state with four small rural states.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I definitely can see an impasse coming....which I think will result in a pause which could run 2 weeks or as long as nearly a year, and then finally an agreement is made and four teams are added. This will provide a little time for the B12 cornerstone schools to shop the other conferences for an exit in 2024 and if they don't get a warm feeling, I would expect resistance to the four school add to finally crumble. The B12 doesn't have a very good future as a 10 school conference centered in one super state with four small rural states.
Assuming the B12 has no shot at the playoff this year, that will cost them some additional $, correct? If so, why not steal the networks's expansion $ for the down years? Or continue to fall further behind in the money race.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom