Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 261 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
I do remember Houston's basketball from my younger days....Elwin Hayes is my age and was a stud playing for them...when they played Lew Alcindor and UCLA way back in my day in the short short era, it was the first regular season game to be nationally televised.

Reaction Score
I do remember Houston's basketball from my younger days....Elwin Hayes is my age and was a stud playing for them...when they played Lew Alcindor and UCLA way back in my day in the short short era, it was the first regular season game to be nationally televised.
That game was in the Astrodome, UCLA played awful Alcinder was injured and lost by a couple ,the rematch was a complete blowout.
I think it was the first Nationally Televised game in prime time

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
We have more basketball championships in Houston than Houston has anywhere. Hell, if I'm not mistaken, we have as many basketball championships in Houston alone than the entire state of Texas combined has in all cities in the country combined.

That's correct. UTEP (f/k/a Texas Western) won the 1966 NCAA men's national BB championship. It's the only team from TX to ever win it. The Final Four was played at Cole Field House on the U. of Maryland campus that year. UTEP is currently tied with us in NCAA team national championships.

Reaction Score
I don't remember watching it on TV
I think I listened to on the Radio
That was Rupp's seven dwarfs
TW had a white player that started the semifinal game but probably because it was against KY of the SEC he chose to start five African American players. Sports played a big role in desegegration
I watched the game on TV, live.

Reaction Score
I watched the game on TV, live.

ESPN replayed the TV broadcast back in March. Very cool.
You don't realize how much you get used to graphics until you watch a game with none.

Reaction Score
I want to watch games with just the crowd noise--no mostly horrible announcers and color guys, silly on the sidelines nonsense. But, not possible because you can't get the feed w/o the verbal diarrhea. Too bad.

Reaction Score
I want to watch games with just the crowd noise--no mostly horrible announcers and color guys, silly on the sidelines nonsense. But, not possible because you can't get the feed w/o the verbal diarrhea. Too bad.
Pre-Direct tv or DISH it was available. Circa 1992, the Mrs. & I were driving home from Disney. We stopped for an overnight at my sister's then new home in the Raleigh area to visit. My brother-in-law had recently installed one of those huge satellite dishes in the back yard for tv reception. I was amazed at all the feeds pulled from the ether. This was the era before the networks scrambled the signals. As I checked out the channel availability, I clicked consecutively on channels broadcasting a Portland Trailblazers game. One channel was the full broadcast, the next was the broadcast without the announcers mics, & the third was the announcers without the background mics.

Reaction Score
I remember that it was once possible. Now it's Joe Tessitore & Co. babbling too much. I think they are all paid by the word which is why there are so many and most have only one syllable.

Reaction Score
Berry Tramel ‏@BerryTramel · 15h15 hours ago
OU-Houston arrives with lots of stakes
OU-Houston arrives with lots of stakes

“There's not a place I go in this city that people don't know Houston and Oklahoma are playing in NRG” Stadium, said UH athletic director Hunter Yurachek. “There's an excitement unlike anything I've seen.”

Talk about fortuitous timing for Houston. The Cougars went 13-1 last season and beat Florida State 38-24 in the now-major Peach Bowl. Herman stayed in Houston, despite reports of Georgia and South Carolina trying to turn his head. Quarterback Greg Ward Jr. returns as a veteran senior playmaker.

And in July, the Big 12 announced it was back in the market for expansion candidates.

“That's part of the buzz going on right now for sure,” Yurachek said. “Our goal for awhile now has been to put ourselves in the best position possible to compete at the highest level. Potential door opening, potential opportunity to do that, you kind of feel a level of energy around our entire campus, anticipation tied to the game, tied to the talk of Big 12 expansion. Just a phenomenal level of energy on our campus.”

The outcome of the OU-Houston game shouldn't affect expansion talks. You can't make such huge decisions based on one scoreboard on a particular Saturday. But obviously the game is vital to UH's profile as a legit contender to join a college football power conference.

“We're doing everything we can do,” Houston board of regents chairman Tilman Fertitta said Thursday during a press conference to announce his $20 million donation to renovate UH's basketball arena. “We think in the next 60-90 days, it will all be over and hopefully the University of Houston will be in the Big 12.

“I think there is a whole lot of support out there. I just don't see how you can't say Houston when it's all over with.”

Well, the six non-Texas schools can see it. Especially OU and OSU, which fear that Big 12 membership could galvanize the Houston program the way it did TCU's. Even the Texas schools, despite public support from Texas Tech and the University of Texas, have to have qualms about adding a fifth school from south of the Red River.

“I feel a lot of the (Big 12) presidents feel the league is Texas heavy already,” Iowa State president Steve Leath told the Ames Tribune last month. “It's a little problematic … all I can say on that is they will get a fair shake. They certainly have a lot of factors we're interested in.”

Houston absolutely would fill the short-term void that the Big 12 seeks, of better football. A Houston/Brigham Young combination would increase the league's football status immediately.

And Houston has a ready answer for those who wonder if the Cougars could inflict recruiting damage onto fellow Big 12 schools. According to figures compiled by UH, the Big 12 has increasingly lost Texas high school recruits to the SEC, since Texas A&M joined that league in 2012. In 2010, SEC schools signed only three of the top 50 Texans. In 2016, SEC schools signed 20 of the top 50 Texans, and A&M accounted for just six of those 20.

“If I remember correctly, one of President (David) Boren's comments was, he was looking for a member that would make the Big 12 competitively better,” Yurachek said.

“Concern over Houston, what that could mean, shows we could bring a different level of competitiveness. If you're a football coach and you want a metric that can help you get in the College Football Playoff, playing an opponent the quality of Houston …”

Yes, UH would get some recruits away from Big 12 schools. UH also would get some recruits away from SEC schools.

“They're all pulling kids out of the area,” Yurachek said. “Competition is a great thing.

“You want to make your conference better. You don't want to bring someone who makes your conference weaker.”

And so arrives the OU-Houston drama, with so much more at stake than just the outcome of a football game. Except to the people who will decide the outcome.

“The furthest thing from any of our players' mind is the Big 12,” Yurachek said. The game is an “opportunity to prove ourselves against one of the best programs in the country and one of the best programs in the history of college football.

“If we win that game, we still have 11 more to play. If we lose that game, still we have 11 more to play. To say that has any bearing on any presidential vote would be reaching.”

Reaction Score
Bill smith‏@TXRedcreek5 1h1 hour ago
@kbohls how confident are you that under no circumstances does UT extend GOR for horse trade in big 12 realignment?

Kirk Bohls ‏@kbohls · 46m46 minutes ago
Very confident.

Kirk BohlsVerified account
@kbohls

Austin American-Statesman sports columnist Kirk Bohls. Co-host of On Second Thought podcast.
Austin, TX

So ...you're an Outlier. A Iowa State or Kansas State. You know Texas is a likely Goner after 2024. OU & OkSt delivered in a package. What are you left with?

1. Stockpile Cash - grab more now.
2. Make the residual payments post 2024 large - win some NCAA MM
3. Cover markets that make sense.
4. Align your future with the best possible. Which have other options in 2024?

Do you take more Texas? Do you take Florida? Mormons? NY or NE? Denver? What is East Carolina or Memphis thinking?

Whatever the Governor of Texas thought he was doing ... the shift is clearly about what Baylor & ISU & KSU & TCU & WVU think they land when musical chairs get pulled. If they really go by the existing contract ... they've got to go Four.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
So ...you're an Outlier. A Iowa State or Kansas State. You know Texas is a likely Goner after 2024. OU & OkSt delivered in a package. What are you left with?

1. Stockpile Cash - grab more now.
2. Make the residual payments post 2024 large - win some NCAA MM
3. Cover markets that make sense.
4. Align your future with the best possible. Which have other options in 2024?

Do you take more Texas? Do you take Florida? Mormons? NY or NE? Denver? What is East Carolina or Memphis thinking?

Whatever the Governor of Texas thought he was doing ... the shift is clearly about what Baylor & ISU & KSU & TCU & WVU think they land when musical chairs get pulled. If they really go by the existing contract ... they've got to go Four.

The seven may want to go to four, but does Oklahoma, Kansas and Texas want four? Does TTU think (or even know) that Texas is taking them with them? That's the problem the Big12 is in; too many teams that have different agendas and needs.

Reaction Score
The seven may want to go to four, but does Oklahoma, Kansas and Texas want four? Does TTU think (or even know) that Texas is taking them with them? That's the problem the Big12 is in; too many teams that have different agendas and needs.
Outside of OU, UT and Kansas...the rest of the B-12 schools in reality would fit in the AAC. OSU and TT need OU and UT to petition to take them along. WVU and UConn would be a fit in the ACC...but that's about it. The rest of them need the B-12 to stay together.

Reaction Score
It wasn't that long ago many in the big 12 were looking for a life line in the big east including Kansas... Nobody is thinking they are safe down the road. Even the SEC isn't going to rest on their laurels

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This long nightmare needs to end one way or another.
amazing-finger-art-24.jpg

Reaction Score
Chuck Carlton ‏@ChuckCarltonDMN · 4m4 minutes ago
Cincinnati checks a lot of boxes and has played the Big 12 expansion game well but what about shadow of Ohio State?
Cincinnati is ready to emerge from Ohio State's shadow; even Urban Meyer supports Bearcat bid for Big 12 | SportsDay

Aron Buch ‏@AB670 · 10m10 minutes ago
@ChuckCarltonDMN
How many of these are you going to do Chuck?

Chuck Carlton‏@ChuckCarltonDMN
@AB670
Depends on how long this lasts and whether it looks like two or four (or zero) schools.

Reaction Score
Chuck Carlton ‏@ChuckCarltonDMN · 4m4 minutes ago
Cincinnati checks a lot of boxes and has played the Big 12 expansion game well but what about shadow of Ohio State?
Cincinnati is ready to emerge from Ohio State's shadow; even Urban Meyer supports Bearcat bid for Big 12 | SportsDay

Aron Buch ‏@AB670 · 10m10 minutes ago
@ChuckCarltonDMN
How many of these are you going to do Chuck?

Chuck Carlton‏@ChuckCarltonDMN
@AB670
Depends on how long this lasts and whether it looks like two or four (or zero) schools.

006.jpg

Reaction Score
I know the decision will not be made based on one game, but I hope Houston gets crushed!!!

Yeah but it'll look better for us to get into the Playoff as the only team to beat Houston. And we did it twice. ;)

Reaction Score
Borderline key, but he is employed by a TV station

Jed DeMuesy ‏@Local12Jed 13h13 hours ago
Source: Today (Monday) the Big 12 will announce they have narrowed down their list of teams they're considering. UC will be on the list.

No way this happens publicly. Perhaps behind the scenes, some schools will be informed they are cut. But no chance this is made publicly.

Big 12 has already been rightfully ridiculed by how they've turned this into a spectacle. No way they turn it into an episode of The Bachelor.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I know the decision will not be made based on one game, but I hope Houston gets crushed!!!
I don't know if that helps us or hurts the perception of the football in the AAC, so conflicted on rooting interest.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom