Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 206 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
Tim Brando wrote that he thinks BYU, CSU, Cincy and UCF with UConn going to ACC once ND goes full member. Assuming, he said, that UConn doesn't "panic. "

Reaction Score
Tom Groeschen ‏@TomGroeschen 4h4 hours ago
Tuberville on Big 12 expansion, says #UC has made its pitch: 'If it's meant to be, it'll happen.'

Tom Groeschen
@TomGroeschen
Cincinnati Enquirer sports reporter
That is same statement that Mr. Benedict made at one his appearances/interviews. Could it be Tuberville was listening to him?

Reaction Score
Tim Brando wrote that he thinks BYU, CSU, Cincy and UCF with UConn going to ACC once ND goes full member. Assuming, he said, that UConn doesn't "panic. "

WTF, WTF and oh yeah. WTF?

ND has zero reason to join the ACC and as has already been stated ND is signed with NBC until 2025. Why do people keep going there?

Reaction Score
WTF, WTF and oh yeah. WTF?

ND has zero reason to join the ACC and as has already been stated ND is signed with NBC until 2025. Why do people keep going there?

Unless something tells ND they won't be in the playoff without a conference. Which I doubt.

Reaction Score
The only reason I would think b12 passes on us is that without GOR we would leave for acc/b10 as soon as seat opens up whereas other candidates are not high on the list for the other conferences. We seem to use up every excuse in the book not to be added.

Reaction Score
Matt Schonvisky ‏@MattSchonvisky · 3h3 hours ago
Thanks to @mellinger of the @KCStar for expanding on an interesting take on #Big12Expansion & #UConn - full interview later tonight

Matt Schonvisky ‏@MattSchonvisky · 3h3 hours ago
@srfreeman25 touched on Memphis briefly, stay tuned

Matt Schonvisky ‏@MattSchonvisky · 24m24 minutes ago
Talked prominent TV exec & Big 12 administrators thoughts on potential #UConn addition in next Big 12 expansion series launching shortly

Here is Matt's podcast with Sam Mellinger (KC Star)

Cliff notes:
-Mellinger talked to some Big 12 administrators...specifically mentioned 2 (one a "power broker" the other a more lower-level administrator)
-Power Broker likes UConn's ability to bring in new market in northeast (refers to Neal Pilson's comment on NE exposure)
-Lower-level admin worries about geography and logistics of sending "Baylor women's volleyball to Storrs on a Tuesday"
-No consensus on top expansion candidates from administrators
-Perception of UConn athletics: "respected" in that part of the country
-UConn football would NEED to expand stadium
-Mellinger's opinion on candidates: BYU (FB only), UConn, Cincy, Houston...mentions Big 12 administrators worried about Memphis academics

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Cincinnati is a hub airport. It's not a deciding factor but it isn't nothing to people worried about travel time.

BDL has daily nonstops to Dallas and Houston and I think Pittsburgh from B12land . Obviously this doesn't matter for FB Charter flights, but it does for olympic sports.
That airport is also technically in Kentucky

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
At this point 3 schools are pretty much considered locks. UConn and Memphis are probably very close with w/e other schools behind. You can throw that out there and pull some "blah blah blah this crazy thing happened. .."
I can't even begin to describe the level of disgust that arises in me that we are even thinking Memphis is on the same level for getting a seat at the big boy table as we are....Memphis, who has accomplished a whole lot of nothing and as of three years ago or so was in C-USA might all of a sudden be in the Big 12 while we basically die as an athletic department? I get so sick over this crap.....

Reaction Score
That airport is also technically in Kentucky

FWIW, I don't think CVG is a hub anymore. It used to be for Delta but at the very least has been severely de-emphasized. I doubt there would be any non-stop flights from Big12 country to CVG on Delta. There would be non-stop flights from hub airports such as DFW (American) and IAH (United). So absent Houston as a conference member, everybody except TCU would be taking connecting flights to get to Cincinnati.

Reaction Score
You guys are looking on one random post by an anonymous poster on a general message board and having a coronary. Meanwhile, we are likely in according to most posts by actual sports writers as of this AM. I don't think anyone should be too stressed.

Reaction Score
You guys are looking on one random post by an anonymous poster on a general message board and having a coronary. Meanwhile, we are likely in according to most posts by actual sports writers as of this AM. I don't think anyone should be too stressed.

I'll be stressed until we're in the ACC/Big XII/B1G

Reaction Score
Here is Matt's podcast with Sam Mellinger (KC Star)

Cliff notes:
-Mellinger talked to some Big 12 administrators...specifically mentioned 2 (one a "power broker" the other a more lower-level administrator)
-Power Broker likes UConn's ability to bring in new market in northeast (refers to Neal Pilson's comment on NE exposure)
-Lower-level admin worries about geography and logistics of sending "Baylor women's volleyball to Storrs on a Tuesday"
-No consensus on top expansion candidates from administrators
-Perception of UConn athletics: "respected" in that part of the country
-UConn football would NEED to expand stadium
-Mellinger's opinion on candidates: BYU (FB only), UConn, Cincy, Houston...mentions Big 12 administrators worried about Memphis academics

Love the stadium size crap. We have to expand but Cincy and Houston are fine at 40,000. The access to NFL stadiums the difference?

Reaction Score
Take it a step further. MSG was, supposedly, St. Johns second home. The St. Johns' athletic department was so upset by the overwhelming number of UConn fans that filled MSG, that they actually changed their ticket plan. To purchase a UConn/St. Johns MSG ticket, one had to purchase a package including two or three horrible St. Johns games all, I believe, at Alumni Hall.

How many "away" teams have that kind of power?
While the UConn-Army game at Yankee Stadium didn't set any attendance records there was still probably 3x as many UCONN fans (not including cadets who I think had to be there) at what was considered an Army home game.

Reaction Score

I'm just an observer, but I haven't seen anyone having a coronary over that post, t.bh. There's some general concern, but there always has been given the track record of near misses.

Also, I think the general agreement is the "actual sports writers" also don't have much of a clue what's going on. They all seem to just be speculating like everyone else. I think you're right to suggest people shouldn't have a heart attack over this random message board poster (though they're not anyhow), but the sports writers are just guessing like everyone else. Outside of a few folks, no one has consistently had realignment pegged these past five or six years.

Reaction Score
FWIW, I don't think CVG is a hub anymore. It used to be for Delta but at the very least has been severely de-emphasized. I doubt there would be any non-stop flights from Big12 country to CVG on Delta. There would be non-stop flights from hub airports such as DFW (American) and IAH (United). So absent Houston as a conference member, everybody except TCU would be taking connecting flights to get to Cincinnati.

This topic won't die, but I posted a chart earlier. CVG has direct flights to Austin, Kansas City, Dallas, Houston in Big 12 country and Memphis, Hartford, Orlando, Tampa - both airports, for prospective members.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Take it a step further. MSG was, supposedly, St. Johns second home. The St. Johns' athletic department was so upset by the overwhelming number of UConn fans that filled MSG, that they actually changed their ticket plan. To purchase a UConn/St. Johns MSG ticket, one had to purchase a package including two or three horrible St. Johns games all, I believe, at Alumni Hall.

How many "away" teams have that kind of power?

PC did that at the Dunk as well.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score

eeek...

There’s a key caveat here that hasn’t been discussed publicly, however. League officials may lean toward adding two schools as a way to leave their options open to poach Pac-12 schools. There’s a feeling around the Big 12 that the Pac-12 could be vulnerable when its contract expires in 2024. (Much in the same way there’s feeling around college sports that the Big 12 will be vulnerable the following year.)

The Pac-12 network isn’t working as currently configured, and there’s lingering animosity on some campuses regarding the network’s failure to produce similar revenue to the Big Ten Network and SEC Network.

If the Big 12 thinks it can snag schools like Colorado, Arizona or Arizona State when the Pac-12 deal ends in 2024, then it grows to 12 and waits. While there’s a lot of variables involved, this line of thinking is a factor in the Big 12’s decision making. Would the Arizona schools really leave their West Coast comfort zone and more logical geographic markets? That may sound nice in a meeting room, but it’s a potential $400 million gamble. That’s a heck of a risk for the Big 12, which has never exactly specialized in long-term planning or thinking.

#PrayFor4

#PrayFor4

#PrayFor4

#PrayFor4

#PrayFor4

#PrayFor4

#PrayFor4

#PrayFor4

#PrayFor4

#PrayFor4

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
What a colossal joke.

The Big 12 wants to add a team that was in Conference USA a few years ago but still holds out hope that Arizona may want to leave their league they've been in since the 1970's to play on the Plains and be held hostage by Texas.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom