Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 172 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
Chuck Carlton ‏@ChuckCarltonDMN · Jun 6
At this stage, it might be easier to list the Group of 5 teams that haven't pitched themselves to the Big 12.

Jeffrey Fuller ‏@jjfuller72 · 15h15 hours ago
@ChuckCarltonDMN Don't think anyone took it as a shot. Wondering your thoughts on #BYU2Big12. Hearing UConn/CSU still now that no network?

Chuck Carlton Verified account 
‏@ChuckCarltonDMN
@jjfuller72 With end of network talk, criteria probably changed. Checking with sources this week to get a better handle. Stay tuned.

Reaction Score
Chuck Carlton ‏@ChuckCarltonDMN · Jun 6
At this stage, it might be easier to list the Group of 5 teams that haven't pitched themselves to the Big 12.

Jeffrey Fuller ‏@jjfuller72 · 15h15 hours ago
@ChuckCarltonDMN Don't think anyone took it as a shot. Wondering your thoughts on #BYU2Big12. Hearing UConn/CSU still now that no network?

Chuck Carlton Verified account 
‏@ChuckCarltonDMN
@jjfuller72 With end of network talk, criteria probably changed. Checking with sources this week to get a better handle. Stay tuned.
I read that it is now BYU/Houston/Cinci. Two of three. UConn no longer in it according to TCU report.

Reaction Score
I read that it is now BYU/Houston/Cinci. Two of three. UConn no longer in it according to TCU report.
Same thing from BYU blog "Vanquish the foe".

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
The TCU "report" was a blog post with no sources - it was purely an opinion piece.

Reaction Score
The Big 12 andUConn is simply not happening. I doubt Cincy is. My guess is BYU/Boise/Houston for football only.

Reaction Score
The trouble is that ADB article.It looked like he had solid sources and Uconn doesn't check in with the ACC and big10 if they like their chances with the Big12.

pj

Reaction Score
The trouble is that ADB article.It looked like he had solid sources and Uconn doesn't check in with the ACC and big10 if they like their chances with the Big12.

Nonsense. You never do a deal without checking with competitors to see if they have a better offer.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Nonsense. You never do a deal without checking with competitors to see if they have a better offer.
That's one way to phrase it I guess...

Reaction Score
Bevobeat ‏@bevobeat · 11h11 hours ago
Bohls: What school is the most appealing if the Big 12 expands? | Hookem.com

"As for expansion, I think Houston could be in the most appealing position because, with the death of any ambitions for a Big 12 Network, the need for new, healthy television markets has lessened. The desire for more competitive football — and basketball — brands is on the rise. Selling season tickets is more critical. “Yes, TV markets are important. Yes, the financial aspect is important,” Boren said, “but our fans want to see our teams play against great teams. They don’t want to see them play mediocre teams. We have to determine what that’s going to do to the long-time reputation of the brands at each of the schools and what quality of opponents we’re having.” To me, BYU is the no-brainer and now wouldn’t have to worry about BYUtv antagonizing the Big 12. And Houston is hot at the moment.”

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score

"As for expansion, I think Houston could be in the most appealing position because, with the death of any ambitions for a Big 12 Network, the need for new, healthy television markets has lessened. The desire for more competitive football — and basketball — brands is on the rise. Selling season tickets is more critical. “Yes, TV markets are important. Yes, the financial aspect is important,” Boren said, “but our fans want to see our teams play against great teams. They don’t want to see them play mediocre teams. We have to determine what that’s going to do to the long-time reputation of the brands at each of the schools and what quality of opponents we’re having.” To me, BYU is the no-brainer and now wouldn’t have to worry about BYUtv antagonizing the Big 12. And Houston is hot at the moment.”
I can see them doing this. It would suck. But if the B12 left both Cincy and UConn in the AAC it would do less damage to the AAC TV look-in, IIRC.

Anyway, maybe they add those two, then grab UConn and Cincy in a couple years since WVU needs eastern partners, depending on how the non-traditional network idea pans out.

Reaction Score
If they do expand by 2 teams and 1 of those is not UConn, I think BYU and one of the Florida teams (or Memphis) is the best we can hope for. You really have to hope like hell that Houston and Cincy football are kept.

Reaction Score

Texas Monthly said the same thing so BYU and Houston seems to be a growing consensus among some sports writers in Texas, but whenever Kirk Bohls is cited, I'm always reminded of a graph that Thujones, a master of ms paint who contributes to the irreverent Texas fan site Shaggy Texas (formerly ShaggyBevo) once posted there. I'd love to post it here but it contains PG-13 language so I guess I'd better reference it instead.

You can find it reproduced here:
Prevail and Ride: December 2010

I think it's the 25th slide down. You'll see Kirk Bohl's name. And that, friends and neighbors, succinctly sums up Texas fans' opinion of Kirk Bohl's knowledge and insight.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Texas Monthly said the same thing so BYU and Houston seems to be a growing consensus among some sports writers in Texas, but whenever Kirk Bohls is cited, I'm always reminded of a graph that Thujones, a master of ms paint who contributes to the irreverent Texas fan site Shaggy Texas (formerly ShaggyBevo) once posted there. I'd love to post it here but it contains PG-13 language so I guess I'd better reference it instead.

You can find it reproduced here:
Prevail and Ride: December 2010

I think it's the 25th slide down. You'll see Kirk Bohl's name. And that, friends and neighbors, succinctly sums up Texas fans' opinion of Kirk Bohl's knowledge and insight.

They want to see great teams, eh? The last "great team" Houston had in any sport was in 1984. And that was basketball.

The last "great team" BYU had was in...1984. Football at least.

So two teams named "Cougars" that haven't been great in over 30 years.

UConn was last great, in a men's sport, in 2014.

Reaction Score
Travis Hines ‏@TravisHines21 · 3h3 hours ago
ISU President Steven Leath said he's a proponent of the Big 12 staying at 10 teams but acknowledged expansion is probably in the future

Whether that's the immediate or long-term future, that's unclear.

President Leath also hinted pretty extensively that the Big 12 is exploring streaming options with conference network off the table.

Travis Hines ‏@TravisHines21 · 1h1 hour ago
ISU Pres. Steven Leath sounded very intrigued with the idea of having football divisions "re-seeded" each year rather than staying static.

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 11m11 minutes ago
Thinking of Re-seeding divisions every year?
B12 has no concept of Branding....stoking rivalries.
Horse n Buggy

Travis Hines ‏@TravisHines21 · 27m27 minutes ago
Iowa State President Steven Leath on expansion, divisions and potential digital ventures
ISU: Leath doesn’t feel ‘compelled’ to expand Big 12 right now

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
“I think (potential additions) have to compete at a high level, but it’s not just, to me, just about performance in athletics. It has to be the kind of school that adds value to the league – an academically successful school, plays by the rules, gives everybody the right impression this is a first-class league going forward.”

C'mon Bobby D. you are on the clock.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
It is absolutely astounding that anyone would find any value for the B12 in Houston. They.....really......don't.....get it.

Reaction Score
UConn Huskies ‏@UConnHuskies · 4h4 hours ago
Since 2014, UConn leads the country with 13 1st Round Draft Picks combined in @NBA @WNBA @NFL @CFL @MLB @MLS

UConn Huskies ‏@UConnHuskies · 7h7 hours ago
Anthony Kay represents @uconnbaseball and @Uconn on cover of @NewsdaySports as 1st round pick of @Mets
CkmOnTuXAAALUTR.jpg:large

Reaction Score
“I think (potential additions) have to compete at a high level, but it’s not just, to me, just about performance in athletics. It has to be the kind of school that adds value to the league – an academically successful school, plays by the rules, gives everybody the right impression this is a first-class league going forward.”

C'mon Bobby D. you are on the clock.

This would be the time for UConn to have a truly noteworthy season. I'm cautiously optimistic that is a real possibility this year.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Houston had a good year, but you're doubling down on stupid if you expand with them.

And I have nothing against Houston - if they could keep building, they would be a much better deal than Texas Tech for the PAC-12 if they wanted to go PAC-16 with UT and another Texas program.

But if you have a conference with a teeny footprint and at least some aspiration for some sort of network, traditional or otherwise, you don't cast your net in the same tiny pool. It'd be like Disney opening a new DisneyWorld in the parking lot of the old one.

Even if you don't have any kind of network, you don't want your conference to have the same kiddie footprint the next time you have to go renegotiate your network deals.

Reaction Score
Houston had a good year, but you're doubling down on stupid if you expand with them.

And I have nothing against Houston - if they could keep building, they would be a much better deal than Texas Tech for the PAC-12 if they wanted to go PAC-16 with UT and another Texas program.

But if you have a conference with a teeny footprint and at least some aspiration for some sort of network, traditional or otherwise, you don't cast your net in the same tiny pool. It'd be like Disney opening a new DisneyWorld in the parking lot of the old one.

Even if you don't have any kind of network, you don't want your conference to have the same kiddie footprint the next time you have to go renegotiate your network deals.

This logic makes perfect sense unless your name is the University of Texas and you already have a network. In that case your primary goal would be to preserve the LHN and insure any Big12 additions do not threaten the LHN in the future. The last thing Texas AD Perrin needs is that uppidy Boren and Gee screaming next year about a Big12 network after a couple of new regions in the NE are added.

Texas' preferred expansion strategy probably comes down to "do nothing." If there public outcry from the rest of the losers in the Big12 and expansion has to happen then UT's expansion candidates are likely selected on 3 characteristics. "Please note TCU and TT will also be having what Mr. Longhorn is ordering."

1. Whose addition insures the Big12 is not significantly helped in building a network thus insuring the UT will never be asked to fold the LHN into a Big12 network?
2. Whose addition allows a nice easy travel for UT athletes and fans/alumni?
3. What program is most likely to bow to the Longhorn nation and do what they are told in the future?

TCU and TT are probably providing a tutorial to UH as we speak.... "So when the UT AD walks in, make sure you always stand and do not sit down till AD Perrin says it is ok. Whenever AD Perrin finishes speaking make sure you always scream "hook em horns." If asked a questioned do not make eye contact and the appropriate response is always "what would you do, sir?" And, above all else, always vote the way UT tells you to...you going to do fine in the Big12, welcome aboard Houston."

Reaction Score
UT's End Game was always pretty transparent to me. Its 1)Preserve The LHN at all cost. 2)Try not to look like your end game is preserving The LHN at all cost. I get it. They have something that is unique and valuable and they are not interested in giving that all up just so that KSU or WVU can come up in the world George Jefferson Style.

The insane-o contract that ESPN gifted them expires long after the current Big 12 GOR will have come and gone. The Big 12 will either not expand(UT's preference) or take 2 football names that look like quality wins on a team's schedule when it comes playoff time. The Big 12 will make a lot of money for another few years, and then it's time to turn on the lights because its last call. Texas will be great. OU probably ok. KU? That is a good question. The rest of the conference? I hope you saved your money.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom