Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 169 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Okay, back to that carwash and that ACCnetwork deal....if ND comes in as a full member then who is #16? :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
The conference championship is a good development for those wanting expansion - a conference with 10 teams in a round robin with a CCG is a disaster waiting to happen. No network is a bad development for us - though it could also be a neutral one if it means they are not expanding in any regard. Neutral in that none of the other quasi-valuable AAC teams would be leaving and we could continue to tread water rather than immediately sink.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Tough to tell if this is what Boren was referring to or whether he was just giving a blanket no to all forms of conference-specific viewing platforms. If it's the latter, it hurts our case a lot. If they are indeed considering a streaming service, that does help us, though not as much as a TV network since specific DMAs would play less of a role.
I wish to believe that this would favor UConn and BYU in any expansion, as both are more national brands then the other schools.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
How would someone start a non-traditional network they could sell?

ESPN and Fox need those games on TV to fill the hours and keep as many subs as they can.

What the heck are you selling and how do you sell it when the games are still on TV?

Reaction Score
If championship game makes expansion likely, but no network means we're not likely to get picked, this is the Rule #1/worst-case-scenario we all feared.

Reaction Score
I wish to believe that this would favor UConn and BYU in any expansion, as both are more national brands then the other schools.
Unfortunately, I believe it would not as then geography would become a more important factor and Cincinnati would be candidate number one. From there, they'd likely want the best available football program with a large fanbase - that would be BYU. A streaming network would make time zones less of an issue.

This day is a colossal win for Texas.

Reaction Score
image.png

At least we still have a chance for the data to help us out

Reaction Score
Or they could think for the good of the football league they look at recruiting grounds and put a flag in Ohio and Florida.

This was supposed to be our day with this tv stuff but it turned out to be ugly. Rule #1.

Reaction Score
As long as the network in our backyard continues to pay BC and Cuse up to 10 times what they pay us it's all good right?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
No network, no expansion. That goes without saying. The statement doesnt really change the field much. They might squeeze another playoff berth over the life of the TV contract, but if it's money they want (need), a network is the only option.

My take is they powers that be (UT) want to see how they fair at 10+CCG and a fee extra years of LHN sugar.

The others will take a look at the numbers and try to force UT'S hand. So, same as yesterday.

Reaction Score
How would someone start a non-traditional network they could sell?

ESPN and Fox need those games on TV to fill the hours and keep as many subs as they can.

What the heck are you selling and how do you sell it when the games are still on TV?

Damn good point. Big 12 schools already own broadcast their tier 3 content and are televised regionally. Supposed you could offer a streaming option of Tier 3 content that could be seen iowa state fans living in florida.

Just grasping.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
View attachment 13945

Or:

Big XII to Consultants: "The facts you've laid out don't jibe with what our national press makes up. They form the narrative. Change your facts."

Consultants back to Big XII, "We will make the facts say anything you want so long as your checks don't bounce...just give us another 6 weeks. Cool?"

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
More likely opposition (Texas) asked red herring questions that weren't addressed in the report so Boren said we can get those answers for you...

Reaction Score
View attachment 13945
No chance. No conventional network= no UConn. Texas spoke and about 10 schools got screwed. 8 in the Big12 longterm, and UConn, Cincy. No other way to look at it. Boren's goal now is to artificially narrow the gap for the next 7 years and then run as far away from Texas as possible.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
No chance. No conventional network= no UConn. Texas spoke and about 10 schools got screwed. 8 in the Big12 longterm, and UConn, Cincy. No other way to look at it. Boren's goal now is to artificially narrow the gap for the next 7 years and then run as far away from Texas as possible.
Ugh. I think this is probably right.

Reaction Score
Then I don't see a point in crunching numbers at all. Why spend money telling them things they don't wanna hear and won't listen to?

Reaction Score
I don't see Texas a a serious partner here and expected them to muddy the waters any way possible. It could derail the process or blow up in their face. In either case the agenda is revealing itself for everyone, so there's no confusion as to which schools are trying to strengthen the league and which really don't care.

Reaction Score
Our only real hope was the Network ,even to my fertile imagination .
No network no UConn
But I've made mistakes before .I'm married and have a BY acoount
Testimony to my lack of infallibility.
But as my mother use to say " all is darkest before the dawn."
So Buck up little campers the work done by the B12 in providing tangible metrics to support UConn's case might bear fruit where least expected.

Reaction Score
Let's just have a great season of football and let the chips fall where they may. That's practically all we can control. If we have a good record and the fans come back that's the biggest case we can make for ourselves. Expansion being put off temporarily may be a blessing.

Reaction Score
George Schroeder ‏@GeorgeSchroeder · 3h3 hours ago
When David Boren is saying, “I wouldn’t say Big 12 expansion (consideration) has cooled, but it is ongoing definitely”—well, it has cooled.

Important note: $30.4 million/ school is not apples-apples comparison w/ peer leagues, because Big 12 schools own (& sell) 3rd-tier rights.

So Texas, for example, is at $45 million for ’16. Oklahoma at $35-plus million. Others with more than $30.4 million.

Jeremy branson‏@Sooner_magic101
@GeorgeSchroeder Man there's a lot of people freaking out. Since they are bringing back the Title game, do you think expansions eminent

George Schroeder ‏@GeorgeSchroeder · 2h2 hours ago
@Sooner_magic101 No I think it’s very very very unlikely.

Combo of revenue news and general vibe today from Big 12-land leads to this opinion: Expansion is highly unlikely.

George SchroederVerified account
@GeorgeSchroeder
National college football writer for @USATODAYsports

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
When David Boren is saying, “I wouldn’t say Big 12 expansion (consideration) has cooled, but it is ongoing definitely”—well, it has cooled.

Important note: $30.4 million/ school is not apples-apples comparison w/ peer leagues, because Big 12 schools own (& sell) 3rd-tier rights.

So Texas, for example, is at $45 million for ’16. Oklahoma at $35-plus million. Others with more than $30.4 million.

Jeremy branson‏@Sooner_magic101
@GeorgeSchroeder Man there's a lot of people freaking out. Since they are bringing back the Title game, do you think expansions eminent

@Sooner_magic101 No I think it’s very very very unlikely.

Combo of revenue news and general vibe today from Big 12-land leads to this opinion: Expansion is highly unlikely.

George SchroederVerified account
@GeorgeSchroeder
National college football writer for @USATODAYsports
That doesn't make any sense. If you have a conference championship game, you are very likely to have your best team lose and/or play a team they just played the week before. I feel the conference will expand as it makes more sense for a CCG with 12 and an 8-game schedule than 10 with a 9-game schedule. Think about it: it was a three-step plan (CCG, expansion, TV network). Step 1 is complete. Steps 2 and 3 are coming next. Just watch.

Reaction Score
Guerin Emig ‏@GuerinEmig · 4h4 hours ago
Bowlsby says more work ahead for consultants on expansion research.

Boren echoes Bowlsby's words about expansion: "We are continuing to consider possible exp and how it might impact conference."

Boren: "We plan to get our heads together later in the summer and try to reach at least some preliminary decisions" about expansion.

Boren on Big 12 TV net: "The marketplace has decided that issue for us... This is not the time for us to consider going forward" w/ network

Boren still saying "We have to wait and see where the data takes us" when asked about expansion.

Guerin Emig ‏@GuerinEmig · 3h3 hours ago
Asked Boren if tabling of Big12 Net = win for Texas, LHN. "I wouldn't say it's a win for anybody. I'd just say the marketplace has changed."

Guerin Emig ‏@GuerinEmig · 2h2 hours ago
Boren says must weigh expansion $ benefit "against reputational impacts... Our fans want to see our team play against great teams."

Reaction Score
That doesn't make any sense. If you have a conference championship game, you are very likely to have your best team lose and/or play a team they just played the week before. I feel the conference will expand as it makes more sense for a CCG with 12 and an 8-game schedule than 10 with a 9-game schedule. Think about it: it was a three-step plan (CCG, expansion, TV network). Step 1 is complete. Steps 2 and 3 are coming next. Just watch.
Hey Dingus they already said no network.

Reaction Score
Hey Dingus they already said no network.

Not quite dead, but tabled until end of summer. Not great odds, but "hey...there's still a chance"

Boren: "We plan to get our heads together later in the summer and try to reach at least some preliminary decisions" about expansion.

Reaction Score
Kirk Bohls ‏@kbohls · 3h3 hours ago
David Boren has had a 180-degree turnaround. Big 12 Network is dead. Longhorn Network alive and well. Texas a huge winner here.

Expansion for Big 12 is not dead. Maybe not even wounded. David Boren: "I wouldn't say it's cooled. I'd say it's ongoing."

Money talks. The 20% hike in Big 12 payouts with more $ that could come from expansion changed all B12 leaders' minds. B12 strong and alive.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom