Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 90 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Berry Tramel‏@BerryTramel 2h2 hours ago
Big Ten's new scheduling model further cripples Big 12's status http://newsok.com/big-tens-new-sche...rss&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
Berry Tramel makes me think of wine for some reason. Oh wait, that would be Grape Trample.

Corbis-OF020070.jpg

Reaction Score
No one, no one gets canned after two consecutive subpar reviews(not even talking poor). Hasn't happened anywhere I worked. After three, absolutely because it defines a trend. Warde canned PP before a .500 season was still possible, improbable but not impossible.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The decision to bring PP back for a third year, at the time, was not dumb. Even if you thought that PP would not turn it around (which I thought), if you fired a coach after two 5-7 years it would have been very hard to bring in the new coach you wanted, because the message was your leash is incredibly, incredibly, short.
BS. They could have gotten the same guy.

Reaction Score
I completely disagree with BL, a rarity. Firing the guy who was a laughingstock after two years would have shown that UConn was serious about football. And in a better position to hire a better coach than one year further into the non-P5abyss. No one thinks UConn is serious about football today and now we have clown shoes making headlines for thinking this team will go undefeated. Its an embarrassment. Warde had every right to stand up and fire PP and take ownership of the program and show the country UConn football mattered. He waited a year, made a bad hire and added one of the many nails in the coffin of UConn athletics.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
PP was a 50/50 gamble from the outset. Everyone knew it. We could have gone for another up and comer or play it safe.

The young guy could have flamed put as so many assistants do in the big chair. The old guy was supposed to build but more importantly maintain the momentum of the first decade.

People were split. I wanted a guy like Tom Bradley, successful coordinator at a major program or an NFL assistant like Edsall was. Others liked the idea of a "proven" college head coach.

I think it's safe to assume we will never make the same retread mistake again.

The choice was based on a philosophy and it couldn't have played out any worse. Complete disaster doesn't even cover it.

Reaction Score
PP was a 50/50 gamble from the outset. Everyone knew it. We could have gone for another up and comer or play it safe.

The young guy could have flamed put as so many assistants do in the big chair. The old guy was supposed to build but more importantly maintain the momentum of the first decade.

People were split. I wanted a guy like Tom Bradley, successful coordinator at a major program or an NFL assistant like Edsall was. Others liked the idea of a "proven" college head coach.

I think it's safe to assume we will never make the same retread mistake again.

The choice was based on a philosophy and it couldn't have played out any worse. Complete disaster doesn't even cover it.
I was with you on Bradley...I was hoping he was gonna get the job

Reaction Score
But 2 years and 4 games is enough - and everyone knew after year 2 they were cooked?

Diaco wouldn't have taken the job a year earlier?

Warde had an out - he didn't hire him.

I understand your points - I never liked the hire in the first place. But, while I can beat a dead horse with the best of them, I feel it is time to put the whole PP/JH era in the rear view mirror. Did it really matter in 2011 when the big damage was done? Syracuse was 22-50 from the Robinson era through the 2010 season. They got a life raft. Rutgers was 1 GAME OVER .500 during the entire Schiano period. They got a life raft. Edsall was 74-70 from 1999 through 2010. We get a millstone around our neck. PP was a very uninspiring 10-14 for 2 years, but did it matter at the time? Many may say that we could have jumped ahead of Louisville if we were much better under PP. I disagree - if the ACC was stupid enough to take Louisville in the first place, do you think they had the capability to ever see the error of their ways? I don't think so. If the ACC felt Louisville added more quality and long term success to the conference, then it is a conference that we shouldn't want to be a part of. BTW, I know it's second fiddle, but does anyone even want to argue about hoops?

Let's just make deal to get off the PP/JH issue - I like to forget those bastards anyways...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
What is a real mistake vs an unreal mistake? So getting outmaneuvered by the Louisville AD was not a real mistake, but the holding on to a dreadful football coach was a real mistake? I always thought mistakes were mistakes. Real or imagined.

By real I mean one that wasn't created on the Boneyard. Thanks for the best example.

Reaction Score
Not to police your right to expression or anything, but a G tweet is unambiguously a non-key tweet.
I was trying to see if I could get people over there to vote that's why it was put in both places.

justinslot

Boneyard Rutgers/Temple lurker
Reaction Score
Wait, you can't actually type "GSwaim" on this forum? That's awesome.

(If the above in quotes just says G I'm referring to the Dude of Minnesota.)

EDIT: Now he's filtered to GS. Where's the respect for the Internet's foremost non-key realignment expert???

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
By real I mean one that wasn't created on the Boneyard. Thanks for the best example.

I also thank all of you for rehashing the same discussion of things that happened years ago, because it adds so much to the discussion of our path forward in CR. This dead horse hasn't just been beaten, it's a long since decayed corpse and you guys just keep pounding on it. PP is gone. Everything else is irrelevant. We cannot go back in time and un-hire him, or fire him earlier.

Reaction Score
I also thank all of you for rehashing the same discussion of things that happened years ago, because it adds so much to the discussion of our path forward in CR. This dead horse hasn't just been beaten, it's a long since decayed corpse and you guys just keep pounding on it. PP is gone. Everything else is irrelevant. We cannot go back in time and un-hire him, or fire him earlier.

Hey, UConn is a top research university. We can totally figure out how to do that.

Reaction Score

Under no circumstances can we beat PPGDL enough. We need to continue to thrash and beat until we are in a power conference. The cupboard is bare!

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
IF?? Hey, the ACCDN is up and running and, I hear, already has hundreds of subscribers!!

The ACCN is the white whale of the ACC. It will never happen without another expansion with focus on markets, brand, and viewership potential (read: ND + UConn combo). And as we all know, if the ACCN is the white whale, ND is the teasing green and yellow whale that lures the white whale close only to eat that poor bastard.

Reaction Score
SXM College Sports ‏@SiriusXMCollege Aug 12
Tommy Tuberville " I think we are going to see a major change in college football in the next 4 or 5 years"

take that FWIW. Tuberville has been saying these kinds of things since he's been at UC

The changes in the last five years would be tough to top.

In 2010, the Big East existed and included three current ACC teams, a current Big Ten team, and a current Big 12 team. Meanwhile, the MWC included two current P5 teams, and the Big 12 included two current SEC teams, one current Big Ten team and one current Pac-12 team. Of course, now there's a playoff.

Reaction Score
SXM College Sports ‏@SiriusXMCollege Aug 12
Tommy Tuberville " I think we are going to see a major change in college football in the next 4 or 5 years"

take that FWIW. Tuberville has been saying these kinds of things since he's been at UC
That's an easy one to pipe dream: Playoff goes to 8 teams...5 CCG winners get in..next 3 are best of the rest...ND forced to join ACC...P-5's go to 16 and 20

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
“The ACC channel, Commissioner Swofford would be better to make comments on that. But in general, you read about the cost-cutting of ESPN and all those things. Just like athletic departments, there’s cost-cutting, but if I see a revenue opportunity, I’m going to do that. So if a channel were to happen, and again that’s Commissioner Swofford and a small group working on that, if it were to happen...."

Why, that certainly sounds promising, doesn't it?

As previously stated, the ACC Network is an answer to a question that no one is asking.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
“The ACC channel, Commissioner Swofford would be better to make comments on that. But in general, you read about the cost-cutting of ESPN and all those things. Just like athletic departments, there’s cost-cutting, but if I see a revenue opportunity, I’m going to do that. So if a channel were to happen, and again that’s Commissioner Swofford and a small group working on that, if it were to happen...."

Why, that certainly sounds promising, doesn't it?

As previously stated, the ACC Network is an answer to a question that no one is asking.

Who said this?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom