Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 93 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
This is getting very deep.

Soon, spoken and written language will be replaced by tweets. So much so that Twitter was just awarded collective naming rights to the next generation of humans.

Reaction Score
Big12 again: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2579778-is-the-future-of-the-big-12-in-danger

Seems Boren and Bowlsby are on the same page. B12 must expand immediately. Will Texas give in to what the B12 must do?

I can only imagine that a botched expansion might lead to Texas's departure, or, a blocked expansion might lead to Oklahoma's departure.

If the B1G took Nebraska, I have no doubt they would take Oklahoma as well.
I would place my bet on the best of the Big 12 going elsewhere and the Big 12 dissolving or backfilling and falling into G status.
The Big 12 has Texas. The ACC has Notre Dame. Which conference is most likely to sneeze next.

Reaction Score
Oklahoma and Kansas to the B1G, Texas to the ACC with ND. UConn joins Kansas St., Oklahoma St., Iowa St., Baylor, TCU, Texas Tech, WVU, Cincy, Memphis, Houston, UCF, USF, Navy.

Tulsa, SMU, Tulane, ECU, Temple left on the outside.

Reaction Score
Oklahoma and Kansas to the B1G, Texas to the ACC with ND. UConn joins Kansas St., Oklahoma St., Iowa St., Baylor, TCU, Texas Tech, WVU, Cincy, Memphis, Houston, UCF, USF, Navy.

I think you see Oklahoma and Kansas in the B1G, and UConn and one of the Virginia schools (VT) there also. Texas and ND in the ACC as partial affiliates or something for a bit, and then probably WVU to the ACC to replace whichever Virginia school is out.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Well there's that ad for an SUV or something ...the dad and the kid have a breakthrough "conversation" where the kid texts her dad and the hands-free bluetooth reads her text out loud.

Reaction Score

I can see that as the most likely outcome. Also, that conference, considering the recruiting and attention it might draw, could demand close to a P5 type TV contract and/or keep the BXII NY6 bowl.

Reaction Score

Why do you see both Oklahoma and Kansas in the b1g before uconn?

Reaction Score
E. Gordon Gee ‏@gordongee · 3h3 hours ago
Making my way to Dallas today for a meeting with other Big 12 presidents. Always look forward to seeing them.

Reaction Score
Football and basketball.

Kansas football is not very good and Oklahoma basketball is sporadic. The CT DMA matches up with both schools footprint. I can see OK because of football, but I don't see Kansas before us.

Reaction Score
Kansas football is not very good and Oklahoma basketball is sporadic. The CT DMA matches up with both schools footprint. I can see OK because of football, but I don't see Kansas before us.

Uh, I meant KU bball and OU football.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

You could call me biased, but perhaps having graduated from UConn and Kansas means I'm one of the few that isn't biased. I'd say KU would be picked over UConn, and certainly would be as a partner with OU.
  • Basketball you could call a wash, but KU has more attendance and does slightly better nationally as a brand. It also has more history, which is important to the B1G based on their past history. We overemphasize national titles. KU is more consistent.
  • Football KU wins despite being awful. For all we tout a Fiesta Bowl loss, KU had an Orange Bowl win around that time, and top ten final ranking. Much more history, including Heisman trophy winner.
  • Markets edge to UConn. NYC area and Hartford more valuable than KC, Wichita. It's not as dramatic an edge as you assume, because KU football is stronger in those markets than UConn football is in its.
  • Non market geography. Edge to KU. History with both Nebraska and OU as rivals. Proximity and some history with Iowa as well. UConn brings another team for Rutgers, but isn't that close to Maryland or Penn State really, and isn't a traditional rival of either.
That being said, I expect that OU will prefer the SEC, so really Kansas is more likely as a partner with UConn. That is certainly my hope.

pj

Reaction Score
You could call me biased, but perhaps having graduated from UConn and Kansas means I'm one of the few that isn't biased. I'd say KU would be picked over UConn, and certainly would be as a partner with OU.
  • Basketball you could call a wash, but KU has more attendance and does slightly better nationally as a brand. It also has more history, which is important to the B1G based on their past history. We overemphasize national titles. KU is more consistent.
  • Football KU wins despite being awful. For all we tout a Fiesta Bowl loss, KU had an Orange Bowl win around that time, and top ten final ranking. Much more history, including Heisman trophy winner.
  • Markets edge to UConn. NYC area and Hartford more valuable than KC, Wichita. It's not as dramatic an edge as you assume, because KU football is stronger in those markets than UConn football is in its.
  • Non market geography. Edge to KU. History with both Nebraska and OU as rivals. Proximity and some history with Iowa as well. UConn brings another team for Rutgers, but isn't that close to Maryland or Penn State really, and isn't a traditional rival of either.
That being said, I expect that OU will prefer the SEC, so really Kansas is more likely as a partner with UConn. That is certainly my hope.

I think you are not giving enough weight to potential growth of B1G mindshare in New York and Boston/New England. But I basically agree, Kansas would make a great partner for UConn, and if OU is available contingent on Kansas as a partner, it would be hard to turn them down. If B12 will only dissolve if enough teams find homes, it's conceivable that Kansas wouldn't be available unless Oklahoma is taken also; the state of Oklahoma might seek Oklahoma State to SEC and Oklahoma to B1G, landing both in top paying conferences.

Reaction Score
The B1G has shown repeatedly that its expansion decisions were only loosely based on overall performance.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The B1G has shown repeatedly that its expansion decisions were only loosely based on overall performance.

Not quite. Penn State was performance based and brought key large markets. Nebraska was added at a time when the conference was down for football (Ohio State was unusually weak), and was a straight on the field add plus national name in football. With those two in the fold, they could concentrate on TV markets with UMD and Rutgers. So what do they do now? Can they afford to further dilute football? I've long felt that they probably need at least one football brand and one basketball brand (no more Rutgers). As much as I like the idea of KU and UConn, it seems unlikely to me. OU and KU, fine. VT and UConn, fine.

Reaction Score

The one big red mark...would Texas, the king of the big 12, really want to fall into step with the ACC? Alongside ND? Let's face it, ND is, for all intents, an ACC member. What the heck is Texas up to?

Reaction Score
I agree with most of you're post and reading Okies LT's board it seems their fans prefer the SEC 6-4 or slightly more but the administration heavily favors the B1G and also the B1G is big on the wealth and density of the last large gap left open in the NE.....I think they wrap up the east with UConn and west with KU....it also achieves balance though it would be hard to not grab a FB brand like Oklahoma if available....maybe go to 18...we'll soon see if the Big12 gets locked out of the playoff again this yr.

Reaction Score
The one big red mark...would Texas, the king of the big 12, really want to fall into step with the ACC? Alongside ND? Let's face it, ND is, for all intents, an ACC member. What the heck is Texas up to?

ND has its own TV package--as does Texas. That's the common tie.

Reaction Score
Not quite. Penn State was performance based and brought key large markets. Nebraska was added at a time when the conference was down for football (Ohio State was unusually weak), and was a straight on the field add plus national name in football. With those two in the fold, they could concentrate on TV markets with UMD and Rutgers. So what do they do now? Can they afford to further dilute football? I've long felt that they probably need at least one football brand and one basketball brand (no more Rutgers). As much as I like the idea of KU and UConn, it seems unlikely to me. OU and KU, fine. VT and UConn, fine.
Nebraska according to what i heard at the time was a late surprise opening.....that spot was going to RU ''from what i understand'' but when an unhappy in the B12 Nebraska heard a spot was opening and applied the B1G they couldn't pass........they put RU on hold after yrs of gearing up and immediately went into ''talks'' with UMd and 2 yrs later the ''news'' broke....I wouldn't be surprised if UConn's in the same position right now...waiting for a western partner.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
ND has its own TV package--as does Texas. That's the common tie.
Double the virus, double the fun.
What would happen to the Big 12 if Iowa State were invited to another P5 conference? That might be B1G move if only to entice Kansas or Oklahoma to jump the sinking ship. I thought that was B1G's play in inviting Maryland, open the gates to UVA and UNC.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom