Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 918 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
So in a 24 hour period you have the B12 publicly announce they are not looking to expand (after very public proclamations that they were), the B1G publicly say they are not looking to expand, and the networks say they have no interest in driving expansion. Quite coincidental, no?!

Sure feels like there is something going on behind the scenes and the lawyers have stepped in across the board here.

Reaction Score
So in a 24 hour period you have the B12 publicly announce they are not looking to expand (after very public proclamations that they were), the B1G publicly say they are not looking to expand, and the networks say they have no interest in driving expansion. Quite coincidental, no?!

Sure feels like there is something going on behind the scenes and the lawyers have stepped in across the board here.
lol. This will get blamed on us. They’ll say we triggered the lawyers.

Reaction Score

I hardly ever like seeing gov't and lawyers getting involved in sports but every college sports fan should be hoping they get involved in this. All of it's ripe for a mega antitrust case.

Reaction Score
West Virginia May Look to Axe Alabama Series to Extend Backyard Brawl

Move to leverage Pitt to Big12 when ACC gets picked apart?
Maybe, but West Virginia is 32-30, 20-24 in the Big 12 since 2019. Playing Alabama is almost certainly a loss and playing Pitt is a winnable game. And, have you looked at the attendance at WVU games? Last year, WVU went 10-3 which is a good season, yet the Pitt game was the only game above 60k in attendance with the other games between 43.5k to 51.5k.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Maybe, but West Virginia is 32-30, 20-24 in the Big 12 since 2019. Playing Alabama is almost certainly a loss and playing Pitt is a winnable game. And, have you looked at the attendance at WVU games? Last year, WVU went 10-3 which is a good season, yet the Pitt game was the only game above 60k in attendance with the other games between 43.5k to 51.5k.
Pondering Anthony Anderson GIF by BET

Thinking about what it would be like to have a "bad" turnout figure that's higher than our stadium capacity.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score

One potential wild card option that one Pac 12 administrator believes would make sense to take a look at: UConn. The Big 12 has tried and failed multiple times now to get its membership on board with adding the school that has won the last two national championships in men's basketball. UConn doesn't make sense geographically and it feels unlikely it'd leave the Big East for this rebuilt version of the Pac-12, but that Pac-12 administrator sees value in at least exploring UConn as a possible addition.

"Who knows what they're going to do," that administrator said, "but they have a lot to offer, a lot to offer with an improving football program and obviously the best basketball program over the last 3-4 years in the country."

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
In all candor I don't see how a court can rule in favor of FSU in a summary judgment.

FSU is basically saying "there really is no case, but as we are a state entity in the state where you are the legal branch, be a pal and rule in our favor".

Reaction Score
In all candor I don't see how a court can rule in favor of FSU in a summary judgment.

FSU is basically saying "there really is no case, but as we are a state entity in the state where you are the legal branch, be a pal and rule in our favor".
They must need this for the next step… whatever strategy they have has to include a dismissal.

Reaction Score
You can’t trust a Florida court these days. If the powers that be want something, they will usually get it. DeSantis is an FSU guy it seems. You never know.

Reaction Score
where the hell does FSU think they are actually going to go lol

I think FSU has a home in mind. It’s just a matter of the Big 10 not wanting to be part of destroying the ACC, especially by them showing that a grant of rights isn’t the ironclad tool people thought it was.

I don’t believe that neither the Big Ten or the SEC want FSU. It’s a huge brand in a constantly growing state full of good football players. I don’t see the Big Ten in particular, passing on getting into Florida. That’s pretty dangerous, especially since they are already ceded Texas to the SEC.

Reaction Score
where the hell does FSU think they are actually going to go lol
FSU will end up in a P-2 conference. But, everything is being done in the shadows or with a wink and a nod...
The P-2 doesn't want to become a defendant...

But, the litigation makes it clear that the term "P-4" is really a misnomer. The "P-4" is actually comprised of the P-2A (SEC and BIG) and then a less powerful and attractive P-2B (ACC and Big 12). You figure FSU and Clemson are likely to land in the P-2A along with ND. (Yes - ND will have to give up their treasured independence.) So after the dust settles maybe the P-2 will have a couple more spots for 2-3 of top end state universities. Then what do you do with the rest?

Why can't the schools/conferences takeover BB and specifically MM? Big money can be made and it would have to include other non-
P-2 schools. UConn definitely gets a seat at that table, but I can see a number of P-2B (ACC and Big 12) schools getting left out because they bring nothing to the table. Consider that maybe BB doesn't "move the needle" much currently because it hasn't monetized to favor the schools who perform! BB (and MM) is being used to fund the NCAA operations. Why? CFP is designed the pay the actual participants a ton money, much to the chagrin of the NCAA. Why can't BB be run the same way?

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
So the next conf that gets FSU will have to assume anything they sign is really just a daily contract...good until the day they decide its not good. Good luck with that FSU....the boomerang of unintended consequences looming large.
Honestly, this statement is true for any university. It's probably been true since Miami and Virginia Tech left the Big East over 20 years ago...

(remember when exit fees were only 1 million dollars??? Good times...)

Reaction Score

One potential wild card option that one Pac 12 administrator believes would make sense to take a look at: UConn. The Big 12 has tried and failed multiple times now to get its membership on board with adding the school that has won the last two national championships in men's basketball. UConn doesn't make sense geographically and it feels unlikely it'd leave the Big East for this rebuilt version of the Pac-12, but that Pac-12 administrator sees value in at least exploring UConn as a possible addition.

"Who knows what they're going to do," that administrator said, "but they have a lot to offer, a lot to offer with an improving football program and obviously the best basketball program over the last 3-4 years in the country."
As a football only, I can see this being viable. Not optimal, but viable.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
As a football only, I can see this being viable. Not optimal, but viable.
If they start going east and get let's say Memphis (and South Florida even), then I agree, not optimal but football only could work until the ACC implodes or the Big 12 finally comes calling again.

I don't think we make any decision until next summer when we know more about the FSU/Clemson ACC divorce and the Big 12 finally gives a final verdict.

In this football only scenario, I would think the PAC-12 goes to 9 full-time members and us a 10th football only member and agree to play 2 bball games a year (home and away). Maybe even Gonzanga would the the 10th full (ex football member).

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
If they start going east and get let's say Memphis (and South Florida even), then I agree, not optimal but football only could work until the ACC implodes or the Big 12 finally comes calling again.

I don't think we make any decision until next summer when we know more about the FSU/Clemson ACC divorce and the Big 12 finally gives a final verdict.

In this football only scenario, I would think the PAC-12 goes to 9 full-time members and us a 10th football only member and agree to play 2 bball games a year (home and away). Maybe even Gonzanga would the the 10th full (ex football member).
The Gonzaga point is a great one. For any western conference that is looking to add Gonzaga olympic sports but is afraid because they don't have FBS football, we can be their football-only fill in, albeit possibly a temporary one depending on the future of the Big12, etc. But for the Pac12, this is a reasonable solution to a rapid crisis...

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Honestly, this statement is true for any university. It's probably been true since Miami and Virginia Tech left the Big East over 20 years ago...

(remember when exit fees were only 1 million dollars??? Good times...)
I think you are missing the legal argument here presented by FSU which is that they aren’t beholden to contracts because they are a state body.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I think you are missing the legal argument here presented by FSU which is that they aren’t beholden to contracts because they are a state body.
I'm not missing anything. The GOR, as I understand it, was created as an attempt to stop the constant breaking of contracts by university ADs.

If that does not hold, then there is no tool that can hold a university to a conference. I'd argue that there shouldn't be such a tool anyways, but then again, I'd argue against a lot of what the NCAA has done in the name of football realignment...

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I'm not missing anything. The GOR, as I understand it, was created as an attempt to stop the constant breaking of contracts by university ADs.

If that does not hold, then there is no tool that can hold a university to a conference. I'd argue that there shouldn't be such a tool anyways, but then again, I'd argue against a lot of what the NCAA has done in the name of football realignment...
But if FSU wins their case in these grounds- it presents the notion that the state of FL never has to honor any contracts of any kind. That means they can break a three year contract to provide cheddar cheese to public schools in Orlando or whatever. In college football it means apple, fox, nbc, espn, amazon, whatever should have no faith in their next deal. Yikes.

Reaction Score

The rumor I read says Memphis and Tulane may be targets.

Reaction Score

And thery will have our administrators fly out west to make another presentation and they say no thanks.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom